This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Internal storage for 2597lmt

Anyone knows what the internal storage is for the Nuvi 2597?
I know that the 2557 has 8GBs and it has 2GBs of free space so I am wondering if the 2597 also comes with 8gb or more because I dont know how much storage the voice and bluetooth stuff takes up.

Amazon has it on sale for $199 while the 2557 is sold at $179.
For less than $200 I think I will get the 2597 if the internal storage is enough for future map updates. :)

Comments

• alanb 419 Points
    The 2597 should have the same 8 GB hardware memory as the 2557. However, the additional features may be using up more of the storage, so there may be less usable storage available for maps and other files.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    The unit should have 8GB internal storage.

Note, however:
    I updated my 3597 (8GB) right out of the box; it needed to put that first updated map (the current EU map) on a card!
    I understand that the EU map is larger than the NA map, but you might want to get used to using an SD card. It doesn't matter where the map is stored, and an SD card is very cheap.
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    The EU map is definitely larger, I think the difference approaches 1GB. But putting that aside, you are comparing apples and oranges. The 35xx series has 3d terrain and 3d buildings. That is probably another gigabyte that the 2597 doesn't need.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    The problem with using a SD card is that it will impact the performance of the unit as it will always be slower reading it from the card than from the internal storage.
  • Boyd 1853 Points
    This was recently discussed... Andrey does not agree with you. :wink:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28585/x/p1/
    As for card vs internal memory, all the nuvi's I've seen clearly access the card more slowly than internal memory.
    Well, I can't say that I noticed any degradation in the drawing performance of the unit when when the map was actually installed on the SD card for the first time.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    The problem with using a SD card is that it will impact the performance of the unit as it will always be slower reading it from the card than from the internal storage.
    My maps on my 2508 are on the card, works just fine with no noticeable lag :wink:
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I use a large POI file that is usually installed on the internal memory.
    When the map is on the SD card there is a noticeable lag in the map redrawing.
    This happened even if there was no elements of the POI file to be displayed on the screen.

Thats my experence and thats why I want to make sure when I buy a GPS unit that it will have enough room on the internal memory for the maps.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Sorry for reviving this old thread but I didnt realized that the last post was in 2014. It showed up on MY RECENT DISCUSSIONS and this thread had the NEW indicator on it.
  • sussamb 764 Points
    Not sure which device you have but even on my old 1310 with a map on the card there is no noticeable lag.