This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need a GPS that allows custom routes via GPX files

xbonez 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I need a GPS with one simple requirement - I should be able to import custom routes via a gpx file. The GPS should not just pick out the destination from the gpx file, but follow the entire route plotted in the gpx file as closely as possible.

I have a Nuvi 52LM, but when I import a gpx file to it, it just picks up the destination and maps the shortest route to the destination which isn't what I want.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    A 52 doesn't do routes/trips which is why it's not doing what you want. You need to buy a recent nuvi that includes trip planner, or an older nuvi that supports route planner.
  • xbonez 0 Points
    Thanks for the response. So 'Trip Planner' is the feature I'm looking for? Garmin product pages specify that, so I can check for models that support Trip Planner. Thanks!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes, look under the specs tab or see here

http://gpstracklog.com/compare/garmin-nuvi-comparison-chart

You need one with multi point routing in that list.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Keep in mind that a GPX file is simply a list of points. If the software generating the GPX file doesn't include anything more than the start and end points fairly common) that is all your GPS will see. Unless it has a ton of intermediate points the GPS will not always pick the same path between points. Likewise use caution with points in areas like divided highways. If the point is off by a few feet and lands on the "wrong" lane then it will literally drive you in circles to reach the correct point.
  • alanb 539 Points
    As you look at nuvi models that support multi point routes, avoid the 23xx series and the 1695. These models support multi point routes created on the nuvi itself but do not support route import via a GPX file.
  • xbonez 0 Points
    Tim: That's valuable advice and makes sense - I'll need to be careful when picking my intermediate points. I use takitwithme.com to generate gpx files from saved Google Maps and I opened the gpx file and confirmed it saves all waypoints.

alanb: I'm eye-ing the nuvi 2595LMT. The specs say it supports TripPlanner so I think that should work.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    2595 will be fine :wink:
  • xbonez 0 Points
    Picked up a 2597 today, and loaded a custom route and it works as needed! Thanks all for your help.

In case this benefits someone else, here is how I got it working:

1. Pick up a Garmin that supports Trip Planner
    2. Create your route in Google Maps
    3. Import the route using the Google maps share link into Tyre (tyretotravel.com)
    4. Save this route as a gpx file.
    5. Import the gpx file into Garmin Basecamp - you must have your GPS connected at this point. This allows Basecamp to use the maps loaded on your GPS.
    6. Calculate route - chances are some waypoints will be off, and you'll have 100 waypoints (way more than you need)
    7. Adjust / delete waypoints until you have the minimum number of waypoints needed. Recalculate the route to double check.
    8. Send the route to your Garmin.
    9. The route will now show up under 'Unplanned Trips'. (For some models, you will first need to import it: Settings -> My Data -> Import).
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Or do what I do, cut out steps 2 to 5 and just create your route in Basecamp :wink: