This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Replacing a Garmin nuLink

otaku 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I loved my Garmin nuLink. One of the most useful features for me was the fuel price finder. Apparently very quietly Garmin decided to nix this feature in North America for some unknown reason as of December 17, 2013.

I really want to leave Garmin and go to a competitor, but nobody seems to really sell a connected PND anymore. Most sell devices that use your cell phone's Bluetooth connection. I tried a Magellan SmartGPS, but the app is very flaky, has persistent notifications in the Android version that cannot be disabled, and apparently connecting to the GPS prevents connecting to another Bluetooth device to play audio. Additionally, I dislike how gas prices on the SmartGPS are not displayed in a list type selection, where I can easily see all the prices around my current location. Instead a scrolling box flashes between different prices in a seemingly random manner, and only 5 stations are listed.

The apps for TomTom and Garmin don't appear to be much better, though I do not yet have firsthand experience with any of them. Additionally, with Garmin axing the fuel prices feature for nuLink, I wonder if the Smartphone Link service even still has the fuel price capability.

All I really want is exactly what the old fuel prices feature on the nuLink offered: A list of at least the closest 20 or so gas stations and their prices in order of distance from my current location, color coded so those lower than the average price per gallon in the area show up as green and those higher show up as red. I've tried Android apps, but none come close to duplicating this functionality and none are as easy to use as the nuLink was.

I've quietly been reading this board for years now, but was finally driven to register. I think I may have been the last person using nuLink, because nobody else on the Internet has said a peep about this :X

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Too bad they discontinued these devices, I had one on loan for awhile and wrote about it here. Not something I personally want, but it was a nice simple way to access connected services. I guess Garmin read the tea leaves correctly though, since as you point out, nobody has even mentioned them for a long time.

The smartphone app has never interested me, I have a compatible model but it only works with Android and I have an iPhone. If I am reading this correctly, they no longer support fuel prices except for existing subscribers.

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?supportPage=Garmin Smartphone Link&caseId={8966f3e0-37cb-11e1-45da-000000000000}&locale=en_US
    Fuel Prices* - Provides information regarding prices of any grade of fuel in your area. Fuel prices will differ by country.

*Not available in all areas. Premium subscription required. Fuel Prices are no longer available for purchase.
  • otaku 0 Points
    Any idea why Garmin eliminated this feature? I am having a really hard time understanding it.

The Magellan SmartGPS was a huge fail for me today. It did not have the Toys R Us I wanted to visit in its list of POIs (and apparently no Google Search like the Garmin nuLink) and it routed me to some neighborhood nearly 3 miles away from a Target store instead of the actual Target store. Since I was in very unfamiliar terrain, had to switch to the backup Google Maps on my mobile to get back on track. And this was my first outing with the thing :/ Additionally, at one point I lost satellite reception and it never returned (waited two hours, turned unit on/off a couple times, nothing worked).

It looks like TomTom's Live service is spotty, but I may give them a try, though I do not have very high hopes.

I'd love to hear if there are any suggestions on a replacement unit. But my research has come up pretty blank so far.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    No gas prices of course as those were discontinued some time ago but kept active for current subscribers thru the end of the year, Otherwise nuLink is still alive and at least moving it's feet.

I just checked my daughters incoming flight status via my 1695 (the one Boyd mentioned) as a test. Worked perfectly with the "on-time" results in a few seconds.

So I checked a bit deeper and tried signing up for a nuLink service I don't currently subscribe to, safety cameras. Yup, that worked too, verifying my Garmin password on the nuvi and activating directly from there.

Not sure what to tell you beyond that.

EDIT: Worse even Ecoroute HD no longer automatically fills in the gas price when refueling. Apparently Garmin no longer uses gas prices at all.
  • otaku 0 Points
    I really used the gas prices feature a lot, so I was hoping to find a unit that worked as well as the nuLink before Garmin took gas prices away. I guess that isn't going to happen, though.

Also, I understand once AT&T stops 2g service in a year or so, the TomTom and Garmin units that use it will also cease to function.
  • The real situation is that AT&T is shutting down the 2G and 2.5G networks. And that is what the nulink is on. Garmin has NOT decided to continue nulink with any upgrade ideas. So it is all dead. AT&T has already started shutting off the networks and nulink service/connection to server is already a problem. Jan 2014. I had 2 1690 and a 2390 all for nothing now.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    My 1695 w/nuLink is still kicking.
  • otaku 0 Points
    Noticed Google local search on my Nuvi was recently replaced by generic local search. Am worried nuLink may be going away sooner rather than later.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited February 2014
    According to the Wall Street Journal, the lights will go out in 2017....

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390443687504577567313211264588
    Aug. 3, 2012

AT&T Inc. is shutting down its second-generation, or 2G, wireless networks by 2017 as it continues to upgrade its systems to faster technology and better use its limited airwaves.

The timeline for the 2G shutdown was made in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission Friday.

An AT&T spokesman said the company no longer sells 2G handsets to contract or prepaid customers. Along with phones, AT&T does have some other devices connected to its 2G networks, but it also expects that they will transition to more modern technology in coming years.