This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Track Filtering in Basecamp seems to delete points

I am a newbie with a Montana 600t. I went on a hike today and saved my track. I connected the montana to my PC and launched basecamp. I was able to see my track. Unfortunately, I forgot to save the track after my hike so I also got details of part of my drive home on the Track as well.

I would like to delete the points in the track that weren't part of my hike. I thought the "filter" might be a good start at that from within basecamp but it appears to be a "destructive" filter as I can't find a way to restore the points.

1) How can I "remove" the filter so I can get back to seeing all points?
2) what is the best way to "edit" the track so I can remove the portion that included my drive?

Thanks

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    I'm not sure which 'filter' you're referring to?

If you download the track again though just use the 'divide' tool to split the track where you need to.
  • Thank you for the suggestion of the divide command.

Regarding the "filter"...When you double click on a track, it bring up the details of each track point. (In my case about 900 track points). At the bottom of that page is a 'filter" button. I specified 100, thinking I wanted to filter all track points that were higher than 100 in a attempt to remove "my drive" part of the track. What it did was keep my track the same but just removed resolution (number of track points) That is the filter I used and for whatever reason, I am not able to get my original track points back, even when I try to change the filter to more points.

Thanks
  • privet01 215 Points
    I don't use basecamp enough to say for sure, but the original track may still be on your device. I think the one you altered only exists in basecamp, unless you sent it back to the device.
  • Thanks. I have tried looking both on my device (via basecamp) and on basecamp without my device connected. The only track(s) I currently see have only two points is is from when I was experimenting with "filters". To me the term "filter" implies that it is non-destructive but unfortunately that is not what I am seeing. I did not do any "saves" or exports etc after applying the filter so I am hoping the underlying data is still there.

I'll keep poking around but really appreciate the suggestions.
  • privet01 215 Points
    Probably too late, but at the time, before you ended the session, did you try "undo"?

Hopefully some of the others more familiar with Basecamp will chime in. I still use mapsource more often than not if I have a choice.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    If the original is no longer on your GPS then this time you're out of luck. Next time create a duplicate so that you can experiment on that rather than the original. Just right click the track and select Duplicate.
  • Thanks. I was kind of expecting that to be the case :cry:

Any thoughts or suggesions on the "intended usage" is for the "filter" botton on the bottom of the detailed track log? (the list of points you see when you double click on a track)

Thanks
  • privet01 215 Points
    Garmin does have a forum for basecamp users over here > https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?191-Mac-amp-Windows-Software

Sadly, as far as GPS devices go, they only host subforums for fitness devices.

But with gpsreview.net being so superior, I guess they figured it was pointless! :D
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Any thoughts or suggesions on the "intended usage" is for the "filter" botton on the bottom of the detailed track log? (the list of points you see when you double click on a track)

Thanks
    No, as I've never tried to use it. Try posing that question on the Basecamp forum link that privet01 pointed you at.
  • privet01 215 Points
    Hey take a look at post #2 in this thread over at Garmin > https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?45467-Filtering-Track-Points&highlight=filter