This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Site modification

l henry 92 Points
edited February 2014 in GPS Discussions
Has the visual format changed for this site?

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    Yes ...
  • I thought I was on different site. Searched for the old one, obviously with no success.

I was quite surprised, having missed any information concerning pending changes.

Will a message explaining the need for the format change and general information relative to the new format be posted?
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Probably. It was always planned but had to be brought forward due to unanticipated problems.
  • Major modifications still in progress? If so, projected completion date?
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Sorry ... No idea. Just need to be patient :-)
  • Tim 1479 Points
    edited February 2014
    Will a message explaining the need for the format change and general information relative to the new format be posted?
    After 7.5 years with almost no changes it was time for a new paint job as well as an engine rebuild.
  • Is there a way to see new messages since last visit?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    No, because this is now better in the new software! You can now view a list of messages you have never viewed, regardless of "last visit" which was a limitation of the old software. From either the homepage or Discussions page look for the word "New" highlighted in yellow. On the Discussions page you currently need to scroll past the threads marked "Announcement" to get to the new threads. That will be improved with time.

But overall being able to view "all new messages" rather than "new messages since last visit" is a huge improvement since in the old system you might not get a chance to read all of the new messages in one visit, at which point it would mark everything as read even if you didn't read it.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Here is an example of how it shows "new" comments you have not yet read. The first discussion has been read, the second has not.
    new post
  • popej 57 Points
    Do you use different style for admin and for common user? I don't have bold text for thread titles, which makes whole layout difficult to perceive. And yellow background really stands out, which is more annoyance than help.

See https://vanillaforums.com/showcase

• Tim 1479 Points
    I don't understand your question, @popej but no, we don't use a different style for admin versus member/user.
  • popej 57 Points
    edited February 2014
    It is quite common that admins and moderators view forum differently then common user. For example moderator can have more controls or infos at each posts. Style can be different too and I see difference between the picture you have posted and the view on my screen. Maybe it is because of resizing only, but your screen shot looks better ;)

Actually I have added custom style to my Firefox to get bold titles, so I'm surprised you have the same as default.
  • popej 57 Points
    Sorry, it seems that standard picture include doesn't work for me.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I see almost no difference in your screenshot versus mine. My titles are not bold.
  • popej 57 Points
    Yes, it is resizing effect. But I would appreciate if titles were more readable.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    How about now?
  • popej 57 Points
    Bigger font? Yes, it helps, thanks.
  • popej 57 Points
    There is one feature more, that I would like to see on forum. Whenever I browse a thread, I would like to get a mark on each new post in the thread. Without marks I tend to read posts multiple times or ignore all new except last one.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    In both the old and the new forums the link includes the "anchor" so that it scrolls to the new replies.
  • popej 57 Points
    Yes, I know, but it doesn't work as you suggest. If there is only one new post it is shown at the bottom of the page, the same view could be displayed for 2 and more new posts. If it is possible, it would be convenient to get a mark, the same as was on previous forum.
  • privet01 215 Points
    edited February 2014
    not sure about what you are calling the "anchor" I don't see it, nor did I in the old forum format. Additionally, it would be nice if the forum navigation pane at the top right floated as you scrolled down while in the actual thread, or there were some other forum navigation links at the bottom. I realize I could just hit the "home" key and fly back up to the top, but when browsing posts, I usually just have one hand on the mouse and my beer in the other.

Maybe a temporary sub-forum for us to gripe and learn this new forum format would help keep the other sub-forums on topic.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I hope this current format goes away soon because it SUCKS.