This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS recommendation

Kellie 0 Points
edited February 2014 in GPS Recommendations
I've never owned a GPS device before. I need to enter multiple addresses, anywhere from 45 to 150 daily, and have those addresses organized to save time. I'll be in a car. I'm in the U.S., more specifically Chicago, IL and surrounding suburbs, basically Cook county. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options available. I'd like some recommendations please, so I don't waste money on a GPS with too little or too many features for what I need it for.

Thanks,
Kellie

Comments

• privet01 221 Points
    edited February 2014
    Even with all the expert advice in the world, preferences on GPS's still is pretty much subjective. Things that annoy the crap out of me might be things that others love.

So after you get all the opinions, just realize that you have to get you feet wet and then you'll know better...... next time you make a purchase.

Sounds like this is a commercial type need, so spending alot may be necessary to get the ease of use you need in the user interface for handling these multiple addresses. So if you are working for a company that has others doing this stuff, ask them too.
  • Thanks for your reply Privet. I do understand what you're saying, someone may recommend a device I don't care for. I was hoping for a few suggestions as far as specific models that can handle this amount of addresses. Once I started looking into GPS devices, I realized there are so many options and many of them can't.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Most GPS will allow you to enter those sorts of numbers. Using Garmins Basecamp program will ease the load. But you say you want to organise them. In what way? Without knowing that it's impossible to give further advice.
  • Thanks for your reply sussamb. Yes I said I want the addresses organized to save time, meaning I want to enter addresses in no specific order and ideally the GPS would route them to avoid backtracking and give me the best route.
  • I will be visiting these addresses in one day, the Chicago metro area is very large and I'm not that familiar with it. The idea is to get as much done each day as possible in my 10 hour shift. I will be assigned new addresses daily. At the end of my shift I hand in the addresses I didn't visit and will be given different addresses on my next shift. I don't get the same addresses from the previous shift.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited February 2014
    One thing you might want to try is download Microsoft Streets and Trips (you can get a free 30 day trial). I have not used it myself, but I think S&T has a function to enter addresses and optimize routes. You can transfer a completed route from S&T to a nuvi that supports routes.

That said, a nuvi may not handle a route with that many waypoints, so you may have to split it into a few routes for any given day. Your best bet is probably one of the newer high end nuvi's that have a fast processor and will import a route without recalculating (like the 3597). Unfortunately the only way you are going to know how well it will work is to try it. Maybe you could buy a GPS from a store that has a liberal return policy in case it doesn't work to your satisfaction.
  • privet01 221 Points
    You might look at the Garmin Dezl http://sites.garmin.com/dezl/

It's aimed at truck drivers making multiple stops. Don't know if it's really any better than a nuvi.

However another option is software on a laptop or tablet that will show you the locations on a map. Then you can choose your route yourself. Personally I seldom like the routes my gps chooses and frequently it's going crazy recalculating while I take a route more preferable to me when in town and even on longer trips. You'll also learn the streets of Chicago quicker not relying on the gps route.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I have a Dezl 760 and it uses the same trip planner as the 2012 Nuvis. Have never tried creating complex routes with it, but I doubt that it would have any advantage. In fact, based on what others have posted here, the trip planner on the 2013 models is better.