This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

For Use on Defined Course

RAAMteam 0 Points
edited March 2014 in GPS Recommendations
Not sure if this has been asked before but here goes: I need GPS that will follow a very detailed route. We are in a bike race that starts in San Diego, CA and goes across the U.S. ending in Annapolis, MD. It is non-stop from one coast to the other. We will have support vehicles following the cyclist that will be relaying the directions to him/her. The route is already determined by the race director and we cannot deviate or we will be off course and disqualified. What is provided to the team is a route book with turn by turn instructions.

Is there a GPS unit that we can use that will follow a set route? In my experience the best we could do is set several way points, but the GPS units we have used would calculate the "best way" to get there...that is not always the race route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• privet01 221 Points
    I don't use a GPS with maps for biking, but I'd think the Garmin Edge800 or 810 would do what you want however there are some other manufacturers that might be giving Garmin a run and doing it better in some ways. One of the key things that will add some difficulty is that if your maps don't match theirs then some GPS's might recalculate some sections.

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited March 2014
    Any of the Garmin GPS that can work with tracks will do what you want. A track is not recalculated.

As posted by privet01, have a look at the Edge units as they are specifically designed for cyclists.
  • DaveM 159 Points
    The Edge 800 or 810 would be good if you would like hart rate and or cadence. If you are only looking for nav the Edge Touring would work. The only problem I know of using any of the Edge units is that you would need an external battery hooked up with an USB cable. I don't know if this would be good in the rain.

As sussamb posted you could use any of the Garmin handhelds that works with tracks. Garmin makes a bike mount for the eTrex, and most if not all Their handhelds. I use a eTrex 20 for nav on the bike. It uses 2 AA batteries. Garmin clams 25 hr life. I use NiMH batteries and change them before they go dead. The eTrex 30 will work with hart rate and or cadence. The eTrex are push button. Some of the other units are touch screen.