This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

I got a TomTom 1535tm, my impressions

Zemartelo 102 Points
edited March 2014 in TomTom Car Forum
This morning I got a brand new 1535tm. Its too early to say for sure but so far I have to say that I am not very impressed with it.
I havent done much with it besides driving it from the store to work and plugging it into the computer.
It has now been downloading the latest map for 13 hours and its telling me that it still has 20 hours to go... thats too long.

I can add custom POI's so that is great but I have not found a way to have proximity alerts, maybe its available somewhere.
I wanted to create a favorite with coordinates but the unit always insists to pin it to the nearest road. Not good enough for me because I want to pin a favorite in a empty are with no road.

The mount is atrocious. Maybe I need more practice but I had a hard time taking out the unit out of the mount and I think its going to be impossible to remove it with the mount in the windshield. Am I going to have to always take the mount off?

The map display doesnt feel polished with the same quality as the Garmins.
The voice directions are different from the Garmins, which was a good surprise. I havent drove enough to make a judgment if they are better or not, for example instead of saying like the Garmin "In 300meters turn right into hwy 10" the TomTom says "At the end of the road turn right".
POI's shows on the map is nice and can be customized to which ones are displayed.

With the Garmin when you touch an area of the map in the map display the unit turns into browse map mode. With the Tomtom it brings up the menu. Not sure I like that. I prefer Garmin way.

This unit has a feature for volume to adapt to noise in the car. I dont know yet how good it works but its a nice feature.
The Voice commands are a nice feature and I can see using it regularly.

Thats it for now, I need more time with this unit and I will add more comments later.

Comments

• Tim 1456 Points
    The map display doesn't feel polished with the same quality as the Garmins.
    Going back many years I've always felt the Garmin display was "prettier" but the TomTom display was more helpful. While the TomTom display isn't as pretty, to me it shows intersections and medians much more accurately, shows you driving "in" the lane rather than hovering over the road, etc.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I havent used the unit in driving conditions yet so I have yet to make a judgement.
    The maps are not as current as the Garmins which was a surprise for me as I thought with mapshare theywould be more up to date...
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    I had a TomTom GO920 for awhile and was generally very happy with it. I had the same problem of not being able to set a waypoint or navigate to a location off the road though. For me, the deal breaker was that TomTom only supports their own road maps - no topo or other specialized maps. And there are no tools to make your own TomTom maps. That probably doesn't matter to most people, but it's a must-have feature for me.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    So today I have used the 1535tm to drive to work and I finally have an impression of how the unit displays the map.
    The volume is loud and the voice is clear. I also like the instructions that the unit gives, like "Turn right at the end of the road". Its easier to understand than "In 300 meters turn right to John Rd" imo.

It is my first unit with voice control and it seems to work well. The only issue I had with it was that I wanted to search for a store (walmart) in a different city but I didnt find a way to it, it always returns the nearest results.

Another issue I came across that annoyed me was that every time I clicked the button to "browse the map" instead of showing the map of where I was it would revert to a previous place that I had marked for map correction which was miles away of my current location.
    I could not find a solution to have it display my current location.

The unit does accept custom pois and has no problems displaying them which is nice.
    I have not been able to find if it can do proximity warning for custom POIs.

The mount is simply horrible. Whoever thought that this was a good idea should be fired.
    With it installed on the windshield I cannot remove the unit without forcing it because of the curvature of the windshield its not possible to have the unit in the right place to pull it out the way its supposed to be.

The big letdown for me came today on my drive to work. It entails driving in some backroads and major highway.
    First all I use the auto zoom. I know I can drive with a permanent zoom level but I like the way it works with Garmin, because when I am driving when I look at the map I like to see what roads are around.

And this is the problem with the TOMTOM map display and this is why I am going to return this unit.
    The zoom in level is too close (like the 100meters on the Garmin).
    If I zoom out its only temporarily and zooms back in after a few seconds

I have to be driving at over 100km's/hour (?) for it to zoom out and the zoom out level basically makes the map lose all detail and it will only show the major roads (like Garmin zoom level 1.2Km on my 2555) so I am staring at pretty much a blank map.

Even my wife which is a noob in this area is not too impressed with the device and that says alot to me.

• sussamb 639 Points
    I also like the instructions that the unit gives, like "Turn right at the end of the road". Its easier to understand than "In 300 meters turn right to John Rd" imo.
    This is now how the Garmins work that use 'real directions' as Garmin call it.

• Zemartelo 102 Points
    I also like the instructions that the unit gives, like "Turn right at the end of the road". Its easier to understand than "In 300 meters turn right to John Rd" imo.

I thought Real directions only covered major cities in the US right now? Does it work anywhere then?

• Zemartelo 102 Points
    I should mention that the 1535tm does come with 4GB of internal memory and after updating to the latest maps it has around 200megs left... I imagine that in the next or perhaps two map updates a memory card will be required to hold the maps.
  • sussamb 639 Points

I thought Real directions only covered major cities in the US right now? Does it work anywhere then?
    Well it appears to work throughout UK ... I'm constantly being told to turn at the traffic light etc.