This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Breadcrumb, Car/Trail, & Geocaching Friendly?

g3geo 0 Points
edited March 2014 in GPS Recommendations
Hi all....first post. I tried to search for the answer before asking, and I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

My family and I are about to embark on a year long cross country road trip. We are going to be full time in an rv, with a jeep tow behind vehicle. We are looking for a portable and accurate gps unit that can handle the following requirements:

- car p2p directions
- breadcrumb trail logs (so we can turn around the same way if we have to)
- trail/hiking
- geocaching
- multi-location 'tagging' of waypoints.

Thanks in advance guys....

G3

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    If you want a unit that does it all then the Garmin Montana.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2014
    I would agree that the Montana meets your needs, have been really happy with mine (although I don't geocache). The Monterra is Garmin's new top of the line device though. Same size screen (4") as the Montana but glass multi-touch capacitive technology and it's an Android-based device so you can install your own apps.

Unfortunately it has had many problems since it's radically different from Garmin's other products. It could take another 6 months or more to be a stable and reliable device, so I think the Montana is probably a better choice at the moment.
  • g3geo 0 Points
    Thank you guys for the recommendation. I sincerely appreciate it!