This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 2555LMT - Road names

Hey,

Is there a way to display the road your currently on instead of the cross road your approaching. I just switched from Tom Tom to Garmin and on Tom Tom while you were just driving around it would list the road your on under your vehicle icon. Is there a way to get the Garmin to do that?

Thanks,

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2014
    I believe this is actually country specific. In another forum I recall a discussion where people were doing a hard reset, then changing to a different locale to get this feature. Not certain... it might have been Luxembourg?

Sort of like here in the US, I have set my Nuvi for Austalia because there is no option to disable auto-zoom if your locale is North America. Go figure.... ;)

Aside from that, I don't believe it can be changed. However the newer generation of Nuvi always show the road you're currently on in a separate field at the bottom of the screen.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    edited March 2014
    I must be the only one that likes to use the maps in 2d mode and use autozoom. :)
    I been looking at videos of the 2013 models and I cant find one that has the map in 2d mode. :)

I think the road name usually shows on the top bar on the screen when not on a route... Doesnt yours show that Mitch?
    What model do you have?
  • mitch 0 Points
    edited March 2014
    Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT it only shows what road your coming up to not the road your on. So I was hoping theres a setting I haven't found yet to change that
  • SergZak 340 Points
    This has long been an issue with Garmin units and can change according to which model/series you are using. Some units display the next upcoming cross street while others show the road you are currently on. And nowhere in Garmin's unit description has this ever been disclosed. The ultimate solution would be for Garmin to allow the *user* to select what behavior they want. But seeing as how this has been going on for many years now, I doubt they'll ever provide this ultimate solution. Why? Only Garmin knows...
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I use my 2013 nuvi in 2D mode and it shows both the street you're on and the street name for the next turn when navigating.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2014
    And nowhere in Garmin's unit description has this ever been disclosed.
    Actually there is a FAQ at Garmin support that list the behavior of different models. I have quoted it here in the past but can't find it now. It may no longer be relevant because it's something that changes with firmware updates.

But just try my suggestion above if you really must see the current road. I checked and it should work on all the 201 models including the 2555. Back up all your favorites and user data and do a hard reset as described in our sticky. Now choose Luxembourg as your country when the device restarts. I believe you can choose almost any EU country in fact. You will then need to separately choose English as your language, Miles as your units and maybe a few other things (assuming you're in the US).

As mentioned, I have my Nuvi set for Australia which enables another hidden feature. It might also change the display of the current road, honestly I have never even noticed. This discussion comes up frequently I and never really understand, because I *know* what road I'm driving on. :)
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Agreed, I'd rather see more of the map than have my GPS tell me something I already know :-)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2014
    OK, I just took the 3550 for a drive and can confirm that setting it to Australia will allow the display of the current street at the top of the screen. It will also give you a new item on the Map and Vehicle menu to disable auto zoom. I have been using both a Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760 in this mode for a year and haven't found any problems. My 3550 is a 2012 model like your 2555 so I think it will be the same. Here's what you would do.

1) Backup your favorites and perform a hard reset as described here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/

2) Choose Australia as your location when the Nuvi restarts

3) Go to the Language menu and choose American English for Text and keyboard. You might also want to change the voice.

4) Go to the units and time menu and choose 12-hour time and units as Miles.

5) Restore any other personal menu preferences (the reset returns everything to the default)

6) Restore your favorites (see: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/17731/x/p1/)

Here are a few screenshots to show what you will get.

• SergZak 340 Points
    edited March 2014
    And nowhere in Garmin's unit description has this ever been disclosed.

Actually there is a FAQ at Garmin support that list the behavior of different models. I have quoted it here in the past but can't find it now. It may no longer be relevant because it's something that changes with firmware updates.
    Specifically, I meant the feature (or non-feature) is not, nor has ever been listed (AFAIK) in the unit's description or features page, either at the Garmin site or at a site like Amazon (which basically mirrors Garmin's info). It makes it tough for the end-user to find the unit(s) which support which view is displayed (and other similar features like Autozoom enable/disable, displaying favorites names on the map, etc.). I know that with my last purchases of the 3790 and 3490, I've been lucky and the upcoming cross-street is in fact displayed. With the 765, I was not so lucky and disliked this "forced one-way" feature. It may be in the FAQ but users generally don't look at a FAQ until they've already purchased the item and can't find why or why not something isn't working as they expected.
  • alanb 539 Points
    In my view, Garmin finally got this right on the 3597 (and perhaps other 2013/4 models) by always showing the road you are on at the bottom of the map and the next cross street (or next turn when navigating a route) in the top bar.
  • t923347 432 Points
    +1 to that.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2014
    Well Rick, since we both like that implementation, I am sure Garmin will remove it on the next models they announce. (would like to make a "sarcasm" smiley here, but can no longer do that)
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited March 2014
    I'd be happier if they gave us the choice, I'd like some map space back :-)

But Alan, you could be right!
  • mitch 0 Points
    Got it to work by changing my country to Australia, Garmin should give you an option to change the top screen to what you want. But thanks for all the help!!!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2014
    Good, glad that trick worked for you. I'm going to link here from our general information sticky, since this topic has come up before.