This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Maps in BaseCamp

I have City Navigator and Topo maps both on SD cards from Garmin. If I put one of them in my eTrex 20 and plug in the USB cable it will show up in BaseCamp. Is there anyway to load them on my computer so they show in BaseCamp? It would be nice to do route planing without needing the GPS plugged in.

Comments

• SergZak 340 Points
    edited March 2014
    Give it a try and see. I believe it should work.

Also note that Topo maps are not locked so you can copy the maps to another SD Card, then plug the card into your PC with a card reader. The maps should be accessible without having to plug in the actual gps. I haven't actually done this in a awhile so there may be other factors involved in getting Basecamp to "see" the maps from the card, like perhaps copying the GarminDevice.xml file from the gps into the appropriate folder on the SD Card but this may not even be necessary. When copying maps in this way, be sure and follow Garmin's file structure as it is on the original SD Card or you may have issues.

There is also a small utility that will pull installed maps from wherever and transfer them to the PC so they can be used from the PC with no issue. The name escapes me but I'm sure Boyd will be by to help out with this.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    No need for the GarminDevice.xml file. Just copy the maps to a usb stick or memory card and Basecamp will read the maps off that.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Should have added the maps need to be in a folder named Garmin on the card.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Sergey, I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you purchase Garmin topo maps on DVD, they are not locked and can be installed on as many SD cards or GPS devices as you like. But if you purchase your topo maps on Garmin pre-loaded data cards, they will be locked just like City Navigator. You cannot copy these maps to another data card or GPS.

This kind of map can only be used on a removable device in basecamp, you cannot install it directly on your computer. Now it is possible to create a "virtual disk" and copy the map to that for Basecamp, but this is not the same as copying it directly to the computer. On the Mac, this is easy since the standard Disk Utility program will do it. On Windows it gets more complicated and you will need a third party program. Either way, after creating the virtual disk, you will have to mount it on your computer just like it was a physical disk.

Really, the solution that sussamb described is the most practical approach.
  • DaveM 158 Points
    I have the maps copied to a usb stick and working. Thanks.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Great