This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS won't show new geocaches anymore...???

I just "reset" all the settings on my Garmin Oregon 650t GPS.

When I now input geocaches as I've always done, with my computer and from the geocaching website, they don't show up on my unit's map or geocache list.

I've checked all the settings on my GPS to make sure all types of geocaches found or not should appear, but ... nothing !

I've tried re-inputing them from my computer and I get the message from my gps that the file "is already on your gps - would you like to overwrite it" so I know it's there. There is enough internal memory so it's not that.

The new geocaches just don't show up on the GPS map ??? Geocaches I've entered before my reset still appear on the map.

What am I missing...???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Marc P.

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    edited May 2014
    This can happen occasionally with a Garmin GPS, so I understand, not happened to me yet. IIRC the solution is to delete the gpx files, then reboot the GPS so that it loads with no caches. Switch off and then reload the gpx files. You should then see all the caches.

It's why some folks place their cache files onto a sd card. If it then happens while out caching you remove the card, boot, switch off, reinstall card and off you go again.
  • tipit008 10 Points
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Marc P.
  • If the caches are over a certain distance from your present location tyey will not show until you get within 50 or 100 miles of the cache. The distance depends on the Garmin model.
  • I wrote this post about a year and a half ago. Funny that I get a reply now, as I've just found out about a week ago what was happening on my own.

On the 650t, there is an option where you can filter geocaching results. Way back when, I had chosen to see caches with difficulty ratings from 2 to 5, therefore excluding all caches who's difficulty rating was 1.

So, of course, the geocaches I wasn't seeing were simply level one caches.

I changed the settings and all is good.

Thanks for the replies!
  • yes, in the Oregon the filter carries over to the map.
    Its a hard habit to break and it still catches me offguard when I look at the map and dont see any caches because I forgot that I had filtered to have only puzzle caches. :)