This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Opinions on TomTom Go 500/600

pappasbike 91 Points
edited May 2014 in TomTom Car Forum
I've been looking at these and am intrigued. I've used TomToms in the past but currently use a gps app on my iPhone. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm also wondering what opinions you might have about the relative size of the devices. A 6 inch screen ( on the 600 ) sounds nice but I'm wondering if that might be a little too big on your dash.

Comments

• dhn 227 Points
    There is quite a learning curve for the new models (Go 500/600) and the Go 50/60 series compared with previous devices. While most of the newer devices (referred to as Nav4 models) come with lifetime maps and traffic, the trade-off is less functionality than on earlier devices.

As of yet, no control of map colours, no custom pois, no Avoid part of Route....

You do have (again) Itinerary Planning.

I do have an earlier model with a 6" screen. With my crappy eyes, I don't mind it at all.
  • pappasbike 91 Points
    My impression from what I've read is that since these devices require you to pair them through an app to a smartphone for traffic and speed/redlight camera info is that some features have been reduced or eliminated altogether. I guess they feel you can use your phone for certain things that they don't need to include on the device to keep things simplified. Not a totally bad idea since I did find navigating through all the menu screens of my former devices ( a 720 and 930 ) cumbersome. I've also read and hope to be true that the software for updating the devices is simpler and less problematic than the prior versions I had used and may add in some of the functions you mentioned.

One of the issues I have with the gps app I use on my phone is legibility as well as a few less than satisfactory traffic encounters. I'm hoping that the text on these new TomToms would be much easier to see and read even on the 5" version. And that the live traffic function would be more satisfactory.
  • dhn 227 Points
    The text is NOT easier to read since there isn't much contrast in colours. The best thing for you to do is go and visit a store where they are on display to get a feel for the device.
  • pappasbike 91 Points
    I'll try to check them out in a store, but that is disappointing.
  • dkoenig 101 Points
    On the description at Amazon, they talk about 'My Places', is this the substitute for personal POIs?
  • dhn 227 Points
    No. My Places will include stuff like 'Home', 'Recent Destinations' and 'Marked Locations'. Custom pois can't be implemented in those models as of yet.
  • My main reason for looking at the TomTom is because I want to be able to input custom POIs or POIs someone else has created, namely waterfalls. In the past on my old 720 I found the TomTom did a better job of navigating by coordinates than my Garmin. I wonder what is the latest model that DOES support custom POIs?
  • dhn 227 Points
    Not the 50/60/500/600 models.

Earlier models will.
  • t923347 392 Points
    I can't think of a Garmin Nuvi model that doesn't support Custom POIs.
  • Does the current "Basic" line, i.e., Start and Via, support personal, custom POIs?
  • t923347 392 Points
    If your talking about the Garmin Nuvi, the answer is yes.
  • sussamb 621 Points
    Start and Via are TT models. Don't believe either support custom POIs ... TT seem to have removed that ability from their current line up.
  • t923347 392 Points
    Ah right, Garmin call theirs the Essential line. ;)