This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Your GPS might not be able to help with this one….

Boyd 1966 Points
edited June 2014 in GPS Discussions
Should create quite a traffic mess for the summer vacation season on the East coast….
I-495 Bridge Closure in Del. to Cause Traffic Woes

DOVER, Del. June 3, 2014 (AP)
By RANDALL CHASE Associated Press

The emergency closing of an interstate bridge in Delaware because some support columns are tilted could mean major headaches Tuesday for motorists on the heavily traveled Interstate 95 corridor through the Mid-Atlantic region, officials say.

State officials ordered the closing Monday of the Interstate 495 bridge over the Christina River in Wilmington, Delaware, after discovering that four supporting columns were tilting.

The 4,800-foot bridge normally carries about 90,000 vehicles a day on I-495, which diverts traffic around the city of Wilmington and toward the Port of Wilmington. The route parallels Interstate 95, which runs through downtown Wilmington and already is heavily congested during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

"You can't take 90,000 vehicles and just shift them onto 95 and not expect to have an impact," Bhatt said. "This is an important artery for the Northeast."

Officials cautioned it's not clear just how long the bridge will remain closed while the matter is resolved.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/del-closes-495-bridge-column-tilt-23967851

Comments

• roadster 96 Points
    edited June 2014
    that is the I95 Memorial Bridge? Well guess there has to be another way roud it, can you tell us

My guess the toll is how much, you will see it raised right after the fix
  • alanb 533 Points
    Better to close it than wait for a tragedy like the one on I35W in Minneapolis a few years ago. My daughter drove across that bridge with my grandson about 30 minutes before the collapse. It makes me shudder to think about it.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited June 2014
    When I posted, I was mistaken and thought it was the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which is why the story caught my eye. But it isn't - it's a smaller bridge on 495

More info here. It will be closed all summer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/10/delaware-interstate-bridge-closed-summer/10283139/

Wow Alan - that was a close call for your daughter, she was lucky!
  • roadster 96 Points
    Due to the MN. Bridge all bridges are to go under evaluation and repairs. Boyd forgot to say the skyline over pass from Newark to jersey city is under a 2 year project. Most dangerous pass in the USA. They are taking down sections of one side first

Every day going over his pass you risked your life. People disobeying a 40-45 mph limit. Doing 80 mph dire sledding all drivers. They rider you rarest I'll they cN. It the person beside you. It is not a game. It is risking your life at their hands.

So happy the main bridges is not the one. Because. It be a nightmare. We all make mistakes but that one is a big one. Thanks for clearing this up.

Been to Minneapolis and watched the bridge be rebuilt in record time