This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

iPhone GPS recommendation

truth1ness 0 Points
edited June 2014 in GPS Recommendations
So I have a few requirements I'm looking for in a GPS app that I have been unable to find in the freebies.

1) Option to pause iphone audio while voice navigation speaks
This is probably the most important of all. I listen to spoken word podcasts and audiobooks nearly all the time in my car and I can't stand having to constantly rewind due to the voice nav speaking over them (or alternatively turn voice nav off and subsequently miss a lot of turns).
Alternately, some kind of "chime" sound would also be acceptable so I don't have to interrupt my audio but I also won't miss turns, I'm not sure if any GPS apps currently do this. In a tiebreaker, this chime option or even very concise spoken directions may also be acceptable in lieu of the ability to fully pause audio.

2) Paste in whole address/address parsing
I want to be able to copy and paste an address into the address search just like you can on google, not have to go through Country>State>Town>Road>#, etc.

3) North facing up option
No spinning the map around my car.

Nice to haves:

3) Google local search or similar, I'm usually disappointed with the locally stored POI databases.

4) Good traffic routing

I have been using Google Maps and I really like it but not being able to pause audio is a deal breaker for me. Apple maps and Waze both have the same issue and I believe Mapquest, too. The one premium GPS app I've bought, Navigon, does fulfill requirement 1 but it breaks requirement 2, no copy/paste address parsing. I can't simply paste an address in like I can with google/apple/etc. I thought after all these years they would have added this but I'm tired of waiting and willing to look at other options.

So I've been looking at Garmin's iphone app, Tom Tom, and the other ones in the App Store but these requirements don't seem to be listed in the typical description lists so I am hoping folks in here who have these apps can tell me which app(s) meet my criteria.

Comments

• nutcase 91 Points
    So I have a few requirements I'm looking for in a GPS app that I have been unable to find in the freebies.

1) Option to pause iphone audio while voice navigation speaks ... Alternately, some kind of "chime" sound would also be acceptable

2) Paste in whole address/address parsing

3) North facing up option

3) Google local search or similar, I'm usually disappointed with the locally stored POI databases.

4) Good traffic routing

The TomTom app should meet most of those requirements:

1) Yes, there is an option to "pause music"

2) Yes, BUT it requires an internet connection (the data is sent to TomTom's servers which interpret it and send back results; it is not interepreted locally)

3) Yes, "North Up" is an option in 2D mode (not in 3D mode)

4) TomTom used to have Google Local, but doesn't anymore; now they maintain their own database; I've found it somewhat lacking in my personal experience (like the address parsing, it requires an internet connection)

5) I haven't subscribed to the traffic service, but that is an option.

The Garmin App would not meet many of your requirements:

1) There does not appear to be an option to pause music

2) There does not appear to be an option to paste an address

3) Yes, "North Up" is an option in 2D mode (not in 3D mode)

4) Yes, there is a "Local Search" (I haven't used it extensively so I cannot comment on its usefulness) (like TomTom's local search, it requires an internet connection)

5) I haven't subscribed to the traffic service, but that's an option

I can't comment on any other apps.