This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Viago app

2»

Comments

• Boyd 1737 Points
    edited January 2015
    There is a much lower entry point with the Viago US app (only $2) while the StreetPilot US app is $50. But they still nickel and dime you with in-app purchases on StreetPilot - traffic is $20, traffic cameras $6, 3d terrain and landmarks $10, urban guidance $5.

I have the EU version of StreetPilot but have not used Viago. Just looking at the feature list however, it appears to be more like the current generation Nuvi. In addition to the in-app purchases above, you can also get Real Directions for $10. It also looks like you can add maps for additional regions with Viago. StreetPilot has no option to do this. I can't add US maps to my EU version of StreetPilot, I would need to purchase the US app separately.

When you add up all the extras, you will end up paying almost as much as a Nuvi. I only got the app because I was going to use it as a pedestrian and didn't want to carry around a separate device. Viago had not yet been released at that time.
  • alanb 353 Points
    edited January 2015
    That is a very poor response from Garmin, but I think what they are trying to say is that with Viago, you can pick and choose various components and pay only for those you select. With StreetPilot, everything is bundled together. I know you were looking for a feature by feature comparison, but I suspect the support folks don't know the products in that detail.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    I looked a little more carefully on the iTunes store. Alan is right in that the basic features are all bundled into the StreetPilot app, however there are still in-app purchases you must make if you want traffic, 3d terrain or advanced pedestrian mode (urban guidance). Those features are all add-ons with Viago too.

StreetPilot is $50 for the US (Garmin USA in the app store): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-u.s.a./id435490305?mt=8

Here is Viago: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-viago/id853603997?mt=8

To get the same functionality you'd need

$ 2 - basic app
    $20 - onboard maps
    $10 - text to speech ("Sound and Buildings")
    ===
    $32 total

Since I haven't used Viago, not sure what I might be missing. Do you need to purchase something else to get junction view and lane assist maybe?

If my assumptions are correct, then Viago would appear to be a better deal. You can add "real directions" to Viago for another $10, and it will still be cheaper than StreetPilot. And you can also add maps for other regions, which looks to be a lot cheaper than buying both the US and EU versions of StreetPilot.
  • I already purchased Viago. That gave me a 2nd Nuvi-like device, as I always have my iPhone 6+ with me (now with larger screen!). I gave my old 855 to my teenager son.

However, I find myself using Waze and Google maps most of the time :( Viago has not found a way to provide adjustment of the volume mix between the voice directions and other iPhone sounds like music or podcasts. At one point they emailed me that this was not possible on iOS

Google maps does.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    edited March 2015
    Just read this on another site. Garmin has discontinued Viago. That didn't last long! So they no longer have an Android navigation app. They still offer the StreetPilot app for iOS however. Go figure….

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/viago/

víago™
    Navigation tailored to fit your needs
    This app is no longer available for purchase or download.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    What is interesting about this is that they seem not to have any free or freemium apps available anymore, at least not on iOS. I see the "Garmin" apps (no longer branded StreetPilot) and all of them have a base starting price based on region.

Garmin USA, $50; Garmin North America, $60. Both offer in-app purchases for add-ons like traffic, panorama 3D view, etc. Want Vehicle Display Integration? That's another $50.

TomTom offers TomTom USA for $25, which incidentally has a better rating. They are also offering a "trial" app for $1.

Frankly, it is hard to compete with free, such as the built in Maps app on the iPhone. So perhaps don't try competing with free and offer a better, premium product and demand a premium price. Otherwise you waste precious support and development resources on a product you are not making money on.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    Is it possible that something in their license with "Here" made them pull the apps (since Here has its own app now)?

The iOS apps have been branded like that for awhile. I remember them having those titles when I purchased "Garmin Western Europe" in February 2014. When you look at the description, they are still call "StreetPilot®" anyway:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-u.s.a./id435490305?mt=8

Description
    Download Garmin StreetPilot® Onboard U.S.A. and give your iPhone® or iPad® the best in GPS navigation with photoReal junction views, 3D buildings, speed/red light camera alerts and more
  • Tim 1456 Points
    That could be the case.
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    Tim said:

Frankly, it is hard to compete with free, such as the built in Maps app on the iPhone. So perhaps don't try competing with free and offer a better, premium product and demand a premium price. Otherwise you waste precious support and development resources on a product you are not making money on.

It is hard to make the case that Garmin products (I purchsed the Viago NA with all the bells and whistles) is superior to Google Maps or even Apple Maps on iOS. Now that one can download map segments for off-line use in Google maps ....
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Being able to download map segments for offline use is just one feature out of many that people consider when picking a navigation app. I don't think that would be the deciding feature for the majority of people, though many people clearly do want to have it.

But consider this in the bigger context. Millions and millions of people who have never owned a PND have purchased iPhones and Android phones-- all of which now included navigation products for free through Apple Maps, Google, and those are built in. Some people find they want a feature or two more and might turn to third party apps like MotionX-GPS Drive and Waze.

For the hundreds of millions of people who never owned a PND but do own a smart phone it is very few of those people (but a high number who read this forum) whose needs would't be met by an app already pre-installed on the phone or one of the other free apps. Those who go all the way and buy a paid navigation app are in a tiny minority.

I continue to wonder about the relationship between Garmin and HERE when it comes to free map apps on iOS. As we recently discussed, Garmin has pulled many of their iOS apps based on HERE maps. HERE had an iOS app released a couple of years ago, then pulled it, but since Garmin pulled their apps in the past couple of weeks HERE has released theirs again. I don't think it is a coincidence that just after Garmin pulled some of their free iOS navigation apps HERE released an iOS app again.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    Had an interesting experience last night when I visited my daughter in NYC. I gave my son in law a ride to a gig and we used my Nuvi 3550 for directions. When I first pulled it out he said, "Wow, did you get an iPhone 6"? The 3550 has a glass screen and looks like a big smartphone. We chuckled about that when I explained it is actually a three year old dedicated GPS.

He has been using various apps on his iPhone for navigation, but told me he is not so happy with them anymore. A number of years ago, I gave them my Nuvi 1350 and they liked it but it broke so they just started using their phones. He's finding that he prefers to keep his phone as just a phone now. They don't own a car, so only need it in rentals and company cars. One of his complaints is that he doesn't have a proper mount or car charger, so I guess that would help.

But I'm thinking a refurb 3590 for $200 might make a good birthday present, since he really liked it. :)
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    Tim said:

I continue to wonder about the relationship between Garmin and HERE when it comes to free map apps on iOS. As we recently discussed, Garmin has pulled many of their iOS apps based on HERE maps. HERE had an iOS app released a couple of years ago, then pulled it, but since Garmin pulled their apps in the past couple of weeks HERE has released theirs again. I don't think it is a coincidence that just after Garmin pulled some of their free iOS navigation apps HERE released an iOS app again.

What is/was the relationship between Garmin and HERE?
    Doesn't Garmin use the usual (NAVtec?) as the map data source for all its products?
    Which Garmin apps use HERE?
    What map source is Garmin using for "Garmin USA" etc apps?

I had never heard of HERE until I read this post!

PS: HERE is an app made by Nokia, who owns Navtec. I am beginning to see the connection.
    PPS: The prices of Garmin iOS Apps are insane, given the free choices out there. And I bought Viago ($60+ with the bells and whistles) and never use it. And now it is gone (along with updates and support, I suppose).

• Tim 1456 Points
    Navteq basically rebranded themselves as HERE.
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    Doesn't Garmin use NAVteq as the map data source for its physical products?
    Which Garmin iOS apps use HERE? One of those was probably Viago :(
    If Garmin is dropping NAVteq, what map source is Garmin using for "Garmin USA" etc iOS apps?
  • Tim 1456 Points
    See above. Nokia purchased Navteq a few years back. The Navteq business unit of Nokia was then rebranded as HERE. So this isn't two different mapsets. This is one company that was purchased and subsequently renamed.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    edited March 2015

I had never heard of HERE until I read this post!

You need to visit gpsreview more often! :D

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28855/navteq-now-here
  • alanb 353 Points
    I think Here is a corny name ... they should have stayed with Navteq. Maybe TeleAtlas will rebrand to There. When navigating, I always need to know how to get "there". I am already "here". :)
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    I drop by but it has been on a "as needed" basis. My last Garmin hardware was Nuvi 780. I have been using iPhone apps as it is the way to go (IMO). Because:

1. I already have a smartphone
    2. I will always have my iPhone w me (No more "My Nuvi is in my other car" syndrome)
    3. My iPhone will always be plugged-in when I am on a long trip.
    4. iPhone's bluetooth is full-featured and works
    5. iPhone has an "always latest" list of POI's (aka Google search!)
    6. Apple/Google have regular bug-fix and feature updates to their app
    7. Google Maps, Waze maps are global and always updated (especially Waze)
    8. Latest traffic, speedtrap, red-light camera data updated in realtime (Waze, and now owned by Google and in Google maps.
    9. Get newer screens, cpu, harware improvements when I update my iPhone (as I always will :) and the apps scale accordingly in resolution etc.
    10. iPhone has superior voice control (aka Siri)

And the clincher:

11. My experience w Garmin iPhone apps: late, not as good as free competition and EXPENSIVE!! No guarantee of sustained support for discontinued products or apps.

So, my visits here have become less useful to me and I have less to contribute to people who have much newer Garmin devices than I have ...

Sad.
    Aloke
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    Well, at least they are honest...

I emailed Garmin support and asked: Now that Viago has been removed from iTunes will there be any map updates? When? Will there be app updates for bug fixes or feature enhancements?

Their reply: "The Garmin viago turn-by-turn navigation app was removed from the iTunes App Store and the Google Play Store on February 23. Viago was uniquely designed as a low-cost offboard navigation app that offered premium features through in-app purchases. Unfortunately, the app did not perform as we had hoped. We have ceased selling this product and have no plans to update it going forward. We are redeploying our app developers to continue working on other apps within the Garmin portfolio."
  • Would like to see a new Garmin app soon for Android. Viago wasn't bad. The basic version was just too crippled. That's the biggest reason why it had terrible ratings at the Google Play Store. Anyone hear anything about a new one?