This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Finding addresses in USA

makem 96 Points
edited June 2014 in GPS Recommendations
I am having difficulty making at USA trip because I don't understand the address syntax used in USA.

For example:

Motel 6 Philadelphia- MT Laurel, NJ #4718
2798 SR 73 NORTH
I-295 AT SR 73, EXIT #36-B
Maple Shade NJ 08052

Which is the post code? Which is the street? Is the town Laurel or Maple Shade.

Sorry to be so naive but when you come to the UK just ask ;-)

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    edited June 2014
    The postal code (zip code) is 08052. The city is Maple Shade. The street is SR 73 North, which is an abbreviation for a highway "State Route 73".

Mt Laurel is the name of another city in NJ which would be near the location of the Motel. Some of the hotel chains put the name of a nearby destination city in the property name even if the actual location and address are in a different nearby city ... can be confusing even to the locals.
  • makem 96 Points
    edited June 2014
    Ok I set my location as centre of PA, I search for an address:

Using the zip code - not found
    Using the town - Mapleton or Mapleton Depot are all that is available

This is the result I got before I knew the syntax!

Seems the only way is to find the place on the map. Seems to make a nonsense of search?

EDIT: also tried MT Laurel and got as far as MT Lebanon Twp
  • alanb 539 Points
    The address is in the state of New Jersey (NJ), not Pennsylvania (PA).
  • makem 96 Points
    Ok, mislead by the Hotel name.

Set location as NJ and found zip code, house number can't enter, try street, SR 73 North - not found.

I can see I will be having fun unless I want to stay in Sofitel!

Found the location using the hotel online map and searching the nuvi map. However, I may not have internet access.
  • makem 96 Points
    Jeez, just realised the only Jersey the nuvi knows is New Jersey in NB!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Often less is more. Try something like just entering North for the street. Nuvi should then give options for you to choose from.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited June 2014
    To add to what sussamb said, I found the address by using just "73" for the street name. It comes up as "Hwy 73"
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited June 2014
    Motel 6 Philadelphia- MT Laurel, NJ #4718
    2798 SR 73 NORTH
    I-295 AT SR 73, EXIT #36-B
    Maple Shade NJ 08052
    That motel isn't too far away from my home. A number of years ago my business had a facility about a mile away and one night we had a terrible ice storm that shutdown all the roads. I ended up spending the night in that motel, LOL. 😊

That general area is often called "South Jersey" and is more or less a suburb of Philadelphia even though it's in another state. Are you visiting Philadelphia? I worked in downtown Philadelphia for 18 years, it was a long commute that I don't miss. :)
  • makem 96 Points
    Yes, I am visiting PA. I drove the from Kunkletown with some friends and I remember parking was easy. I just thought I would save a few places along the whole trip to use If I got stuck finding somewhere to stay closer to city centres.

I don't usually spend more than two days in any one city so even 12 miles each way is ok for me as everything I see along the way is of interest.

If you have an suggestions they would be appreciated. Once I have a default place to stay I will start searching 'what to do'. Then I move on to the next place eg. Lancaster.

I find the web page trip advisor is very good because USA residents join the forum and help strangers (I hate the word 'tourist'), such as me.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you stay in South Jersey and want to see the sights in center city Philadelphia, you can take the PATCO Speedline. Trains run frequently and you avoid all the downtown traffic plus the very expensive parking. Try to get a seat at the front of the train, it's a fun ride going over the Ben Franklin Bridge. :)

There is a large parking lot at Woodcrest station, which is less than 15 minutes from that motel: http://www.ridepatco.org/stations/woodcrest.asp
  • makem 96 Points
    Great ty!
  • makem 96 Points
    Just tried adding that as a fav. Got an error saying memory allocated for favs. is full.

Is there a way to allocate more (main memory is quite full), or better still, keep favs. on the current sd card?

Need to research that. Probably similar to storing gpx files.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited June 2014
    As I posted in the thread POI-gpi - where to put? you have filled up your 1000 favorites limit because you have loaded the Motel6 file as a gpx file instead of using POIloader and installing them on the Nuvi as custom POIs.

There is no way around the 1000 favorite limit by using the SD card and there is no way to keep favorites on the SD card. That's what POIloader and custom POIs are good for, no limit to the number you can have on your unit or the card, other than the space required to hold them.
  • makem 96 Points
    edited June 2014
    I have deleted the Motel6.gpx from main memory and it is now on the sd card

Has that not released the memory or must I use POILoader to unload?
  • makem 96 Points
    There is a pois.gpi file in the main memory POI folder of size 6.93 mb. As far as I am aware this file contains all the favorites I have made since I got the nuvi.

I have read that it is possible to swap a gpx file and so keep POIs on the sd card and swap them in as and when needed. However, I am rather worried about trying that as I may lose everything.
  • t923347 432 Points
    If you put the Motel6 file on your Nuvi and have turn the GPS off and back on again since you did that then removing the Motel6.gpx file will do nothing to free up entries in the 1000 Favorites limit. The reason for that is that everytime the Nuvi boots it looks for .gpx files on the unit and if it find any it takes the contents of those files and builds a file called current.gpx. Current.gpx is the file that holds all your Favorites, along with any routes, and tracks stored on the unit.

Deleting the current.gpx file will also not help you because once it's created the details are stored in an area of the Nuvi's internal storage that is not available to the user. Once you've had all those Motel6 entries loaded to your Nuvi as Favorites the only way to get rid of them is to delete them through the Nuvi's delete favorites function. Your choices there will be to delete the entries one at a time or delete all of the favorites stored on your unit. I suspect that you could also use Basecamp to delete them but I'm not 100% sure about that.
  • makem 96 Points
    Wow, I had a feeling that was the case. Thank you.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited June 2014
    Also see my comments in "POI gpx - where to put them" thread at:

forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/29094/poi-gpx-where-to-put
  • t923347 432 Points
    Your choices there will be to delete the entries one at a time or delete all of the favorites stored on your unit.
    Your particular Nuvi model may allow you to select multiple favorites at once to delete them. Not every Nuvi has the same deletion options.

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Your particular Nuvi model may allow you to select multiple favorites at once to delete them.
    Where To > Saved (aka Favourites) > All Saved Places > Three bars > Delete Saved Places > Select All > Delete
  • makem 96 Points
    Yes, I am lucky it does allow multiple deletes.
  • makem 96 Points
    Deleted all Favs. except for those I had previous to uploading the Motel6 ones. Phew!
  • t923347 432 Points
    Where To > Saved (aka Favourites) > All Saved Places > Three bars > Delete Saved Places > Select All > Delete
    Yes, that will delete them all but as we have seen the OP only wanted to delete specific items (Motel 6 locations).