This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin draw priority

I have seen and heard many different figures quoted for which draw priority to set for (mainly?) transparent maps to overlay the Garmin maps from 25 to 31 to 35 to over 50.
This site refers to the kmz files are states over 50 http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-2 whereas often for the .img maps over 30 is mentioned.
Does it depend on the device you are using? or other reasons?
../confused

Comments

• Boyd 2002 Points
    edited June 2014
    Are you using a Nuvi? If so, this is all irrelevant. The draw priority discussed there refers to "custom maps" that are only compatible with newer Garmin handheld devices. None of the Nuvis can use this kind of map. This kind of map is known as "raster imagery"; it is just a "picture" and consists of JPEG files embedded in a .kmz container.

.img files are "vector imagery" and are basically a database of lines, points and polygons that the gps interprets. Draw priority is something the is set by the map author. "transparent" is a bit of a misnomer. Really, this kind of .img file is just like any other garmin map but it doesn't have a background object.

The bottom line is that you really don't need to know about this kind of thing unless you are making your own maps, which is a complex and highly technical topic. If a map is "transparent", the author will have already set the priority correctly. See the other thread I just posted in this forum for a little more info.
  • nevw 88 Points
    edited June 2014
    I have a etrex 30 and use mkgmap to produce up to date recently josm edited maps using varying styles and typ files and also am trying to make good looking streamline overlays so the layer specified by mkgmap is all that counts for me i guess? And when i do the custom kmz which handy when trying to hike/ride the strava heat map routes, be guided by the link i gave.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Since you posted in the Automotive forum, I assumed you were talking about a nuvi. 😊

OSM is vector imagery - .img files. The link you posted refers to raster imagery - .kmz files. Garmin does not support transparency in raster imagery.

I am moving this thread to the handheld forum, since it seems like that would be more appropriate for your questions.
  • nevw 88 Points
    edited June 2014
    So in general for the raster imagery (kmz) >50 and for the vector .img >30 when using garmin.
    Tks
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    edited June 2014
    No. It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want a vector map to display on top of City Navigator for some reason, you would set the priority to 31. Or if you are using multiple vector maps you could use a series of priorities for them to control the stacking order. Otherwise, it really makes no difference.

The setting for raster maps affects which vector objects are drawn on top of it if you are using both kinds of maps together. I really haven't played with this myself, but know that the default is that vector points and lines are overlaid on the raster image but poygons are hidden. You can experiment with different settings in Basecamp and see what happens.