This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

A GPS with Albania and Montenegro map

MikeHD 0 Points
edited June 2014 in GPS Recommendations
Hi, I want to have a trip with my bicycle from Albania , Tirana to Montenegro and I wanted to buy a GPS for that.
But the first problem that I faced was that all this GPS didn't support this two countries.
Maybe I should buy and after that install the maps separately, I don't know.
The biggest problem is that here you can't find any GPS in shops and you can just just order via Ebay, and if I order and I order the wrong one without maps, so in this case all the time and the money is gone.
What Should I do ?

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    You can get free maps for Garmin GPS from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

They do maps that claim to be 'bicycle routeable'.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I travel to Belgrade every year and keep a local SIM card for data in my phone and use Google Maps for navigation. Everything is up to date and a data only account is not very expensive. You might want to consider going that route.
  • MikeHD 0 Points
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    I think that navigating with phone is not a good idea, just because of the battery of the phone, because when I turn on my GPS on my phone my battery get finish in 3 hours.
    I think that buying a GPS is safer .
    Sussamb, thanks for the site.
    But how is this, should I buy a Garmin GPS , and after that connect it to my computer and go to this site and download the map and put it in the GPS ?
    Sorry if I'm sounding very out of circle , but I'm very new in this things and this is a new experience for me.
    Once again thanks a lot for helping me ;)
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 2014
    This depends on the GPS. For example the Edge Touring https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html already comes with a map, but it doesn't provide the coverage you want. Others come 'bundled' with other mapping, but I have no idea what you can buy where you are.

Assuming that you don't buy a GPS with the mapping already installed then yes, you go to that site, select the map or maps you want then download them to your PC, then copy them onto your GPS. There is more info here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl:Manual
  • MikeHD 0 Points
    Thanks,
    Actually I couldn't find any GPS like this here in Tirana, and I asked one of my friend to buy for me from there, and , he asked me what model exactly he should buy for me.
    Can you advise me what GPS is good for me ?
    I want to pay 100 euro for it . Is that enough ?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I doubt if you'll find a new GPS for that amount, where is your friend buying from?
  • MikeHD 0 Points
    Germany
  • MikeHD 0 Points
    I went to this site : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    and I selected the area that I wanted and gave my email.
    But there were 2 strange stings.
    1- In the email is written that
    (Your map will only be available for 60 hours. Please make sure to check your mail often enough so you won't miss the download window.)
    what does this mean ? That I can only use this map for 60 hours and what will happen after that?
    2- In the Email was written also : (Below you find a link to a webpage that shows the current status of your request.)
    and there was a link which I clicked on it But instead of downloading the map I saw this message :
    (This request is #875 in the queue. The delay is approximately 3.6 days. )
    Does this mean that they will send me between 3 and 6 days the maps via my email and that after receiving my email I have only 60 hours time to using it ??
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 2014
    Can't really help there I'm afraid as I have no idea what's available in Germany, but you'll probably find the cheapest devices either in the Garmin Etrex or Edge ranges.

The 60 hours just refers to how long it will remain available for download.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The e-mail seems pretty self-explanatory to me. You will have to wait 3.6 days before the map is ready to download and when it is ready you will have a 60 hour window in which you can download it. After that time, the download file will be removed. Once you have downloaded the map, you can use it forever if you like.

I don't know anything about EU pricing, but in the US the eTrex 20 would be pretty close to your target price. Not really familiar with the cycling-specific models.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 2014
    In the UK the Etrex 20 can be had for around 150 euros, the Edge range are more expensive, some considerably so.
  • MikeHD 0 Points
    thanks a lot ,
    You really helped me a lot :)
    which you all a nice day
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Wow, that is a lot more expensive than the US. I see the eTrex 20 for $160 at gpscity (117 euros).
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It's the same for all the Garmin stuff ... cheaper in the US :-)