This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Mapquest is switching to TomTom maps

Might cause problems for Nuvi users who have been using Mapquest because of their Navteq maps?….

http://gpstracklog.com/2014/07/mapquest-to-receive-upgrade-with-tomtom-maps.html#more-22525

(glad to see that gpstracklog is getting up to speed BTW 😊 )

Comments

• privet01 228 Points
    It has been years since I've used Mapquest. So certainly I'm not up to date with what it may do better than others. I just think those affected by the change would move to other online services. The Empire known as Google is getting so much better at mapping services and they seemed responsive to map errors I've reported.

Navteqs market is diverse enough. Mapquest IMO has the issue that AOL from the start of its existence has always oversold itself. It's only been their genius at acquiring other cashcows to rob that has kept them with us. Again just IMO
  • t923347 532 Points
    It has been years since I've used Mapquest. So certainly I'm not up to date with what it may do better than others. I just think those affected by the change would move to other online services. The Empire known as Google is getting so much better at mapping services and they seemed responsive to map errors I've reported.
    The one thing that is driving people to Mapquest these days is that they still have the option to send waypoints and routes to your GPS where Google seems to have abandoned that feature.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    MapQuest's strength has always been brand recognition. They were one of the first to make online driving directions easy and produce a reasonable route. Being acquired by AOL about 15 years ago certainly helped as many people only knew of the "Internet" via AOL.

Today, most of my less tech savvy friends still use MapQuest for driving directions. And how about this for branding... Many of those people don't even know that Google has their own driving directions feature.

MapQuest has also not been chained to a particular map vendor as much as other companies have. They even use OSM for many of their map products.

I like that they have focused on their core product, directions. They are not a map data provider, nor a PND company, nor another company trying to add maps to their portfolio.