This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Outdoor GPS

Hi gurus, need your suggestions.

Needed a receiver that:
1. Would show more or less accurate coordinates without waiting forever to lock. Even whenever no ground correction signal is available.
2. Won't run out of batteries after a day of work.
3. Won't require a dry bag to carry around if it's rainy (or would stand being dropped into a stream).
4. Won't shatter if dropped on a stoney ground from 5 ft height.
5. Ability to load opensource maps is a plus, yet not crucial (we'll be carrying paper maps).

NOT needed: zillion by zillion TFT display, topo maps, built-in movie player, Internet browser, ability to survive a nuclear explosion.

In other words, something inexpensive yet rugged that could be carried in a week-long hiking trip with no Seven-Eleven stores nearby or cell phone coverage available.

Thanks for your advice,
-andy

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    I use the Etrex 20 for hiking, perfect in my view. Will run for 20 hours plus on a set of AA batteries. I've loaded numerous OSM maps, and it takes a data card should internal memory not be enough.
  • qolorado 0 Points
    sussamb said:

I use the Etrex 20 for hiking...

Wow, that was fast, thanks :)
    Did you ever try eTrex 10?

• Boyd 1985 Points
    You cannot load maps on the eTrex 10.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 2014
    @golorado

Given that and the price differential it makes sense to get the 20, particularly as you say OSM maps would be a plus. If you drop that requirement the 10 would otherwise do what you want. Personally I'd stick with the 20 :)