This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS capable of using custom routes?

viragoxv 31 Points
edited July 2014 in GPS Recommendations
Is there a vehicle (car & motorcycle) travel oriented GPS which can accept custom routes done on sites such as MapQuest or similar mapping/routing software? My goal is to be able to use the drag & drop, MapQuest type custom routing, then upload/transfer the custom route into a GPS; thereby negating the need to follow printed paper directions. I often want to use side roads which the standard GPS options don't allow. I LOVE MapQuests drag/drop customizing feature, so something similar would be GREAT!
My apologies, since I asked this same question about a year ago, but am now prepared to purchase.
Thank you! Michael

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Moderator note - I have changed the title of this thread to "custom routes", since "custom maps" is something completely different. :)
  • alanb 539 Points
    Most of the current Garmin nuvi and zumo models that support Trip Planner will allow you to transfer routes from Mapquest and Garmin's own Basecamp. The transferred routes are converted to Trips in the Trip Planner App. For Mapquest routes, you need to convert all via points and shaping points to "Route Stops" in Mapquest before you send the route.to the Garmin.
  • viragoxv 31 Points
    Thank you! Any thoughts on which would be the least expensive?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited July 2014
    The trip planner on the 2013 and 2014 models has been improved. I would avoid the 2012 and earlier trip planner based units, they are not capable of showing your whole route as you navigate. They only show the next via point.

Garmin's model numbers have gotten hopelessly confusing. But I think you will want a device where the last digit of the model number is a 7 (or maybe an 8). For example, the Nuvi 3590 has the old trip planner but the Nuvi 3597 has the new one. I believe model numbers ending in 5 also have the old trip planner.