This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Best GPS for my car? (excluding smartphones)

Im looking for a GPS for my car. I do not in any way shape or form want to use a smartphone.

From Garmin Ive found the nüvi® 55LM at 139€ which covers western europe and nüvi® 56LM at 149€ which covers all of europe.

Basically I want to is lifetime updates for everything and radar advisor. I would like voice commands but I see that the price range is very elevated so I can live without it.

Also, please mention where you use your GPS; I mentioned this because Ive read that sometimes TomTom/Garmin is the best in the US but sucks in Europe and visaversa.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    By 'radar advisor' are you meaning warning of speed camera and red light camera locations? Is traffic also important for you? If it is I'd recommend you look for models with digital traffic, so a Garmin model ending in LMT-D which has lifetime maps and digital traffic.

I have a 2508 LMT-D that I've used for over a year now, in the UK, France and Portugal. I've found it very accurate navigation wise and the digital traffic has been pretty much 100% correct.
  • riahc3 0 Points
    edited August 2014
    Exactly. I want to be warned of speed cameras, red light cameras, etc. Traffic is NOT important for me at all.

A year later are you still getting map updated? How frequent? I ask because I know lifetime is actually as long as the device is on the shelf.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Garmin has been quite good about honoring their "lifetime" map updates. There are some members here with Garmin devices discontinued over five years ago which are still successfully getting lifetime map updates. They were top of the line models when introduced and so they had lots of available memory, but "lifetime" from Garmin has generally extended well beyond "shelf" time so far.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    To answer your other question, map updates come out four times per year. You can see this in our When is the next Garmin map update? post.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    riahc3 said:

I ask because I know lifetime is actually as long as the device is on the shelf.

Actually it's not. Garmin define it as:

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. Third party content providers may change. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.
  • riahc3 0 Points
    Enough space/tech abilities = shelf life. They just change the format of the map and be done, its not tech capable anymore.

But, it is a good sign to hear that Garmin does indeed take care of its customers by giving GOOD updates...
  • t923347 432 Points
    riahc3 said:

They just change the format of the map and be done, its not tech capable anymore..

I guess, but I've owned a Garmin Nuvi since 2005 and I can still update the maps on that device whenever a new version is released. Almost 10 years is a pretty good "shelf life" for a piece of electronics IMHO. :)
  • riahc3 0 Points
    t923347 said:

riahc3 said:

They just change the format of the map and be done, its not tech capable anymore..

I guess, but I've owned a Garmin Nuvi since 2005 and I can still update the maps on that device whenever a new version is released. Almost 10 years is a pretty good "shelf life" for a piece of electronics IMHO. :)
    Indeed it is :)