This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

eTrex20: creating a "saved" place

I would like to do the following:
enter the coordinates of a location (not my current location) and save it - just as I would on a Nuvi as a saved location.
I do not see how to do this. Possible?

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    They are called "waypoints" on handheld devices. :)

Have not used an eTrex 20, but am pretty sure it will be the same as all the other Garmin units. First, mark a waypoint at your current location. When you do this, there should be two options: Save and Edit. Choose the option to Edit and simply change the coordinates that are displayed to whatever you like.
  • DaveM 159 Points
    On the eTrex 20 you can select "Mark Waypoint" from the main menu. Then use the joystick to move the highlight to the "Location" box. Then push in on the joystick and you can edit the coordinates. Then select "Done" you can now do the same for name, notes etc. then select "Done" to save the waypoint. Another option is on the map screen use the joystick to move the pointer to the location you would like the waypoint. Then push in on the joystick 2 times and a window will open. Push in on the "Menu" button and you will see "Save as Waypoint" push in on the joystick to save. Another option is to create the waypoint in BaseCamp.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I followed Boyd's advice – which I never would have thought of! But, I guess, that is why God – in her infinite wisdom – created forums.
    Oh – and it worked! (Shocked)

Since I was wanting to save a waypoint several thousand kilometres from where I am, that was the clear way to accomplish it - since I am not a BaseCamp user.
    Thanks to both of you.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If you need to create a waypoint for something a tad closer (!) then instead of marking your current location and editing it just scroll across to it on the map. When the white arrow is where you want it press the click stick in. You'll get the option by clicking again to Go to it, but if you now press the Menu button you can also save it as a waypoint.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Yes, I discovered that quite some time ago.
    I once put my eTrex in my pocket while I was walking, and with just about every step, I was marking a new waypoint!
    Thank you.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    That just saves your current location :) and yes, when in your pocket that can happen. I find if the click stick is facing 'inwards' it happens far less than when it's facing 'outwards'.

If though you want to save other than the current location you need to first select the location using the click stick then the Menu button to save it.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    DaveM said:

On the eTrex 20 you can select "Mark Waypoint" from the main menu.

On my ancient eTrex you could just push the joystick and create a waypoint at your current location. Does that no longer work on the new models?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yep :)
  • DaveM 159 Points
    Boyd said:

DaveM said:

On the eTrex 20 you can select "Mark Waypoint" from the main menu.

On my ancient eTrex you could just push the joystick and create a waypoint at your current location. Does that no longer work on the new models?
    If I only push the joystick in then no. If I bump it so I get a window at the top of the map without moving to pointer more then a few feet then I can push it in to create a waypoint and hit the "Menu" key to save it. You then need to go to "Waypoint Manager" from the main menu to edit it. So to me it's easier to use "Mark Waypoint" .
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited August 2014
    Really? If I push mine in I get a waypoint. No need to hit menu, just Done at the bottom right.
  • DaveM 159 Points
    I tried again. No waypoint unless I bump it so it moves a little from the current location first it doesn't need to be much a few feet works. I have Software Version 3.90. What version are you using?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    3.9 ... But mine has always created a waypoint by just pressing the click stick in, same as my older Etrex Legend.
  • DaveM 159 Points
    You jogged my memory when you said "same as my older Etrex Legend" I hadn't used my Legend since buying my eTrex 20. I had been pushing and releasing the joystick and it didn't mark a waypoint. I tried pushing and holding it like on my old Legend and it marked a waypoint and I could edit it. This is an easier to mark a waypoint. I checked the manuals. My eTrex Legend manual says to push and hold enter (joystick). My eTrex 20 manual only has useing "Mark Waypoint" menu option and nothing about pushing the joystick. I guess I should have not read the manual before playing with the eTrex 20 when I bought it.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Hehe ... glad it's working for you now :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    And thanks for the continued discussion and explanations and solutions and alternatives. ^:)^