This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Microsoft Streets and Trips and Mappoint are DEAD

To bad so sad. I use it daily as a map and trip planning tool and often to export routes to my Garmin gps.

http://www.microsoft.com/Streets/en-us/default.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/en-us/home.aspx

Comments

• t923347 406 Points
    Yeah, when Microsoft made this announcement on July 1st I was sorry to see these great products coming to an end as I've used S&T since back in the Expedia days. On the plus side both products will continue to run fine on your computer and since the maps they use were never updated more than once a year, at best, it will be a good while before they become to old to be of any value.

As as alternative, of course, there are web based products like Mapquest which has many of the same features. Also there is still Delorme's Street Atlas software or Tyre to consider. For Garmin users there is the free and powerful Basecamp software, so in the end we are losing an old friend but not the abilities that it had.
  • t923347 said:

As as alternative, of course, there are web based products like Mapquest which has many of the same features. Also there is still Delorme's Street Atlas software or Tyre to consider. For Garmin users there is the free and powerful Basecamp software, so in the end we are losing an old friend but not the abilities that it had.

Problem with web based is just that; they are of little use without an internet connection. I have Street Atlas, but never figured out how to use it productively since it's interface is counter intuitive for me. Guess maybe I'll have to force myself to learn. It has elevation data that is sometimes useful which S&T did not..
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Basecamp doesn't need web access ...
  • I'll take a look. I only use it load gpx files to my gps since Garmin dumbed down their later gps versions and tne gps's themselves no longer have the ability to import and convert gpx routes from S&T directly.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Well amongst other things that what I use it for :)
  • t923347 406 Points
    LostAgain said:

t923347 said:

I have Street Atlas, but never figured out how to use it productively since it's interface is counter intuitive for me. Guess maybe I'll have to force myself to learn. It has elevation data that is sometimes useful which S&T did not..

You think Street Atlas' interface is counter intuituve wait until you try to use Basecamp. :-/
  • alanb 375 Points
    LostAgain said:

... Garmin dumbed down their later gps versions and tne gps's themselves no longer have the ability to import and convert gpx routes from S&T directly.

I don't think I understand this comment. Are you referring to Trip Planner on the newer Garmin devices? If so, most of these models will import gpx files containing routes and will convert them to trips. There are a couple of exceptions; the 2300 series and maybe the 1695, but I think it works on all other Trip Planner models. I don't use S&T, but have imported gpx routes from several other sources, so it should work with Streets and Trips too.
  • t923347 406 Points
    I'm not sure whose fault it is but at one time you could create a route in S&T, and send the resulting GPX file to the Nuvi. At some point that ability disappeared and now if you save a route from S&T as a GPX file both Basecamp and Mapsource complain about it having errors. As I recall, no waypoints appear in Saved Places from that GPX file either.
  • alanb 375 Points
    I wasn't aware that S&T routes no longer worked on the Garmin. It would be interesting to compare the Streets gpx file for a simple route to a working file from Mapquest with the same route to see what is different.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 2014
    Here is a simple route from Everett, WA to Maryville, WA which is a 6+ mile trip up I-5.

Here is what the gpx code from Mapquest looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> MapQuest.com 2014-08-12T01:15:17Z MapQuest-small test rs undefined Everett, WA Everett WA US Dot Everett WA US 2902 Fulton St Everett, WA 2902 Fulton St Everett WA 98201-3755 US Dot 2902 Fulton St Everett WA US 98201-3755 4th St Marysville, WA 4th St Marysville WA 98270 US Dot 4th St Marysville WA US 98270 Marysville, WA Marysville WA US Dot Marysville WA US

And here is what it looks like when transferred from S&T:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    S&T small test.gpxData exported from Microsoft Streets & Tripshttp://www.microsoft.com/streets2014-08-11T18:24:12S&T small test.gpx, Microsoft Streets & Trips2902 Fulton St, Everett, WA 982012902 Fulton St, Everett, WA 98201
    4th St, Marysville, WA 982704th St, Marysville, WA 98270
    2902 Fulton St, Everett, WA 98201Invalid DateTime-07:00near Delta JunctionInvalid DateTime-07:004th St, Marysville, WA 98270Invalid DateTime-07:00

I have spent 0 time attempting to figure out the differences but would be happy if you can spot what the S&T issue is. I'm no expert at reading this stuff.

I see after posting that the sintax has been stripped out of the coding so hopefully that will not be an issue. If you like e-mail me and I'll send you the 2 gpx files.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 2014
    I see a thread at http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/4305-unable-export-gpx-streets-trips-2011-garmin-basecamp-mapsource that would indicate that the problem with the export from S&T is to do with the invalid Date Time entry in the S&T generated GPX file.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    You could try processing it with ITN Converter. Haven't tried this myself, but Garmin support has recommended this program for converting incompatible files in the past…

http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:itn-converter&catid=1:deion&Itemid=2&lang=en
  • t923347 406 Points
    ITN Converter does allow you to convert the S&T gpx file into a gpx file that can be loaded into Basecamp. It can also be copied directly onto the Nuvi and the waypoints appear in Saved/Saved Places/Favorites but not as a route or trip (that's normal though as S&T always as done this). Thanks Boyd.
  • I'll try to clarify a little about my "dumbdown" comment. My previous Garmin Nuvi was a 750. I could create a "trip/route" in Streets and tell it to EXPORT the route as a .gpx file. Then copy that file to the 750 and give the 750 an IMPORT DATA command and it would convert the gpx file to a "route" on the gps EXACTLY like I had created it in Streets with all the turns, secondary roads, etc., which was often quite different from what the gps would have constructed if I had just given it a destination address.

My current Garmin is a Nuvi 2450. It will achieve the same results as before, but now the route calculation must be done in Base Camp and then sent to the Nuvi. Add in additional complexity and time spent with Base Camp and the job is more difficult than with earlier models. I guess I am fortunate since I understand the 2450 is one of the few newer models that even allow transferring a route. Something about many models only allowing 1 or 2 waypoints max on a "route" or "trip" or whatever symantics are used to define getting from here to there.

A year or so ago I asked Garmin why they were limiting the ability of their later models to easily create routes from external data sources like Streets and Trips and was told most of their target market wanted ti simply enter an address and let the gps create a route. They were intimidated by computers and software complexities. I can understand that having gone through the learning curve for Base Camp.

Sorry, I'll be away from the internet for a few days and unable to follow this thread.

• sussamb 664 Points
    Garmin is getting better here though. For those using earlier nuvi models with Trip Planner the nuvis from 2013 onwards have a far better implementation IMO. First, Basecamp will send points in a trip either as 'alert on arrival' (via points) or as 'do not alert on arrival' (shaping points). While only 30 via points can be in a trip the number of shaping points seem unlimited.

With via points you MUST visit them, with shaping points you can skip them and your nuvi won't mind. As well as sending the appropriate points from Basecamp you can change them on the nuvi itself, either from vias to shaping or vice versa, so you can either modify trips sent by Basecamp or ones created on the nuvi itself.

2013 models onwards also show the whole trip, not just the portion you're on unlike the earlier 'trip planner', so the whole experience is far more akin to the 'route planner' on the much earlier nuvis.
  • I was disappointed to find that Streets and Trips and Mappoint had been discontinued. If anyone is still looking for an alternative, I found this site: http://mappoint-replacement.com/ - it gives you a comprehensive list of mapping software that you can use. I found a lot of great options there!
  • I was hanging on to my Streets and Trips software as long as possible. My computer died and I was forced to update it and it's no longer compatible. I've been using Badger Maps lately and it's been working really well for me.