This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New to Tyre

I hope this is the right discussion area for my question.

I just started playing around with Tyre. I was able to create my first route in moments...That's nice.
But, although I can find my saved route again in the "recent" menu, I can't seem to find where it is stored on my computer.
When I select the "open file" icon, It opens a window with one lone folder "POI", which is empty.
Doing a search, the saved file is located in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Tyre, and although the file obviously exists there, I can't any AppData folder or info in the Users\Owners file.

Any idea what's up here?

Comments

• dhn 328 Points
    What model device do you have?
  • menhir 50 Points
    I don't have a TomTom....I have a Garmin Nuvi 550. The Tyre program is only on my computer.
    Actually, I've found a reasonable work-around...
    I bring up the properties of route in question to find it's location, copy the route, and then paste it into the window with that lone "POI" folder. It seems to work. Eventually, I'll find out where I can specify where my routes are stored. Like I said, I'm very new to Tyre.

OK, so why am I trying Tyre when I don't have a TomTom? I've found it recommended on numerous riding forums as an alternative to BaseCamp. It certainly is, for my purposes, a whole lot more intuitive, too. I have MapSource, but I know it's no longer supported and it's useability may go away in the future. I spent hours and hours in learning BaseCamp, but it's just plain horrible.

So I figured I'd give Tyre a try. It's still being supported, too.

In any case, Garmin stopped making the Nuvi 550 and doesn't seem interested in making anything else to replace it. Therefore, it looks like my next GPS may be a TomTom anyway. :-)
  • dhn 328 Points
    A short history of itineraries and TomTom...........

Models 'in the old old days' could use Itineraries and Tyre.

Models 'in the old days' could not use Itineraries or Tyre since routes could not be saved and only 3 waypoints could be added to the route

New models available on the TomTom web site can use Itineraries but, at this point, Itineraries created in Tyre cannot be added to the units since the user has no access to the file system.

All that said, apparently the new Rider model CAN interface with Tyre (now called Tyretotravel). Get it here
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/

More info on the Rider model:
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/your-drive/motorcycle/

• menhir 50 Points
    edited May 2015
    A followup...

I've been experimenting with Tyre and have found it very easy to use, so I gave it a try on a longer trip this weekend. My purpose was to see 1) If I was programming it right and 2) how well Tyre worked with my Nuvi 550.

The trip was complex, about 7+ hours and a lot of road changes, but I've ridden it several times before so I would be aware if I were getting off-route. Also, the route (I know...Itinerary) was not one that the GPS would come up with on its own. There are plenty of Blue Roads, some running alongside faster highways...and I had set no avoidances. I wanted to be sure it was following my itinerary.

The result...pretty darn good. :-)

Yes, there were mistakes make, but they were mine...I'll have to pay more attention to exactly where I place my waypoints. I should have zoomed in a lot closer on the map.

No, the Nuvi wouldn't let me pass beyond a waypoint that I missed. However, If I canceled the custom route then started it up again it would ask if I wanted to navigat to the beginning of the route. I'd select "no" and it would navigate me to the next waypoint. Fine.

Oops, I was sloppy and forgot to adjust my waypoints on divided highways when I reversed the route. It made for an amusing an unnecessary short loop along the way but, like I said, I knew the way home and recognized what happened right away.

Although the device displayed the miles only to the next waypoint, it still displayed the proper arrival time to the destination. I'm fine with that, too.

I still haven't been able to find Tyre's definition of an "immediate" and a "provisional" waypoint. Even if it doesn't matter to my device, I'm still curious. :-*
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    FWIW, if you want to discuss TYRE on the Nuvi or Zumo then you might want to start a new thread in the Garmin forum where it will get more attention: http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/garmin-auto-forum-garmin-nuvi-forum

• menhir 50 Points
    edited May 2015
    Point taken. Actually, my original intention was to post the first part only in the Garmin Auto forum and post the waypoint query in the TomTom forum. I had hoped that the TomTom people, who might be more acquainted with Tyre, would be able to help with my basic question....

I still haven't been able to find Tyre's definition of an "immediate" and a "provisional" waypoint. Even if it doesn't matter to my device, I'm still curious.

But the interwebs cut out on my when I first tried to post and the next morning I groggily posted the whole thing to the TomTom forum from the draft that was saved. My bad.

Anyway...I asked the above question in the Garmin Auto forum some time ago and it still remains unanswered.

It's funny...Basecamp is hard to learn but has a great user support base, Tyre is easy to learn but support is sparse and usually not in English. Fortunately, except for my burning question above, I've not needed any support from Tyre to get it up and running. B-)