This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Unable to lock new Garmin GPS

I just purchased a nuvi 66LMT to replace my old 255W. I successfully updated the device, and transferred my map locations. However, I cannot figure out how to set the lock code, which (on my 255W) ensured that the device was unusable without a four-digit passcode. This is a critical feature, since a person stealing my car would have access to my garage door opener - and therefore my home. I don't need my GPS giving them a map to my house.

So what's the trick? How can I secure my GPS so that it's less appealing to thieves?

Comments

• Boyd 1966 Points
    Djinn said:

This is a critical feature, since a person stealing my car would have access to my garage door opener - and therefore my home.

Unfortunately, you should have looked at the specs before purchasing. This feature is not available on the Nuvi 66 - see the specs tab: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2014-essential-line/nuvi-66lmt/prod147610.html

Garmin Lock™ (anti-theft feature) No

Do any of the new models have this feature anymore? Looks like the 3790 still has it (4 year old model): https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-3790t/prod63940.html

But the 3490 (3 year old model) does not: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-3490lmt/prod97509.html
  • DaveM 107 Points
    I never put my home address in a GPS. I will program in a gas station, store etc. that is near my house. That way if someone steals my GPS it won't have my home address. If I want to go home I can go to the point near my house.
  • privet01 205 Points
    If it gives you peace of mind I suppose making sure before you buy or the above suggestion is worth it.

However, the number of incidents of people stealing your car and going to your home with your GPS is statistically the least of your worries. Most robbers or muggers that want to barge into your home will just cruise the neighborhoods looking for opportunity.

Sure we've seen news reports of such.... but the news is definitely looking for stuff outside the norm so they can sensationalize it.
  • Djinn 80 Points
    edited August 2014
    I admit - when reviewing the specifications, I didn't notice the absence of Garmin Lock, because I just assumed it would be there. In a similar vein, when you shop for a smartphone, you don't check the specifications for "brightness control." It's just a given. And since earlier Garmins featured security, it caught me by surprise when it was removed.

Why remove the feature? If people don't want it, they can easily not enable it. It's not like including the feature impacts Garmin's profit margin.

I suppose I can pick a nearby location as "Home." But it's seems an unnecessary kludge for a quality GPS brand.
  • Tim 1474 Points
    Djinn said:

Why remove the feature? If people don't want it, they can easily not enable it. It's not like including the feature impacts Garmin's profit margin.

The feature wasn't terribly difficult to bypass and at the same time managed to lock out a few people from their own GPS who ignored the easy instructions. So the feature seemed to cause Garmin more headaches in tech support than any perceived benefits.

While the whole "home address vs nearby address" debate has been discussed here ad nauseam, it is something I've researched extensively for articles here and because it is something reporters sometimes ask me about GPS. While there are a few anecdotal cases, I've only ever come across one confirmed case of this ever happening in the USA. Many people have their address many places inside their car such as the car registration, insurance cards, random mail, magazines, etc.

On the flip side, I've had dozens of police forces around the country asking me to help them with instructions to try to identify the owner of a stolen GPS based on things like the "home" address and recently navigated to places. I remember one guy in a sheriff's office telling me he had over 100 GPS devices recovered from thieves that they were trying to figure out who the owner was of each based on 'Home' and recent destinations.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    The removal of the Garmin Lock feature is actually something that we discussed at length a couple years ago. Unfortunately, Garmin is constantly adding and removing features from the Nuvi. Other features that have been removed recently include the mp3 player, advanced pedestrial mode, editable speed limits and customized dashboards.

As for "why"…. you don't really think anyone here could answer that question do you? ;)
  • Djinn 80 Points
    Fair enough... My last GPS purchase was a nuvi 255w - purchased in 2008 right after it was released. Still works reasonably well, though once unplugged, the built-in battery now lasts about five minutes. I hadn't really looked into the GPS scene again until now.

It was a surprise to me that Garmin would remove a feature that I had seen as "obvious." Many thanks for not jumping down my throat for bringing this up years after the topic had been dead and buried. :)