This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

What awesome places has your GPS taken you?

Just a random, casual, conversation starter discussion.... What cool places has your GPS taken you? I'd have to say over various ferries in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. Nothing like watching your GPS navigate you across 14+ hours of ocean, still following the GPS line. "Snap to road" takes on a bit of a different meaning when on a ferry. Likewise it is cool to follow a provincial highway over the water and around islands. :)

Comments

• alanb 347 Points
    Key West last winter. It was fun viewing the trip log across US 1 from Florida City to Key West. But you don't really need the GPS ... only one way to get there and one way out by car.
  • t923347 392 Points
    edited August 2014
    A couple of years ago, took the 15 hour ferry ride from Port Hardy, BC, on the Vancouver Island, to Prince Rupert, BC through the inland passage. Spectacular trip, especially with the Nuvi keeping track of where we were.

• Tim 1456 Points
    Funny, all three of our stories involve the ocean. :)
  • alanb 347 Points
    Wow Rick! That does look awesome!. I wanna do that someday ... putting it on my bucket list.
  • t923347 392 Points
    It is an awesome trip, with lots of wild land and sea life, waterfalls, mountains, and even the chance for an orca sighting along the way. The ferry has staterooms you can rent as well, so it's nice to be able to sit in your room to watch the world go by or be in the public areas, it's your choice. I suspect some of Tim's adventures in Eastern Canada had many of the same facilities. :)

We carried on from Prince Rupert to Prince George which is in the BC interior, and down through the Okanagan valley with it's miles of fruit trees and wineries. All in all a great trip.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    Yes, indeed. This was one of the boats we were on:
    http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/mv-atlantic-vision-panorama.asp

I'd never be one to want to go on a cruise, but it was a pretty nice way to get from point A to B. ;)
  • t923347 392 Points
    Here is another really cool trip that my wife and I took back in 2008. It included a visit with our families in Ontario Canada, taking my wife to Washington DC which she had never seen before, a visit to NYC which I had never been to before and a stop in the 6 US states that completed our bucket list item to visit all 50 states and 10 Canadian provinces. A Garmin Nuvi 760 and TomTom 930T were with us all the way as we did a comparison article for another GPS forum. ;) Total miles - 8700 or 14000 KM.

• Tim 1456 Points
    I recall that article. ;)
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    edited August 2014
    Have been thinking about this for awhile, and my story is practically in my backyard. Sorry, the ocean isn't involved. :) There's a park nearby that includes the ruins of a 100 year old industrial complex. Some ruins are visible from the park trails, but I knew there were more buried deep in the dense thicket that is very difficult to penetrate.

Using the architect's original plans and aerial imagery from 2008, 1950 and 1935, I created a .kmz "custom map" of the site using GlobalMapper. Loaded it on my Montana and ventured into the thicket. I was bloody from the holly and greenbriar, but it was worth the effort. Very few people have been here, it was like going back in time.

• Tim 1456 Points
    That's awesome, @Boyd. I'm a sucker for historical maps.
  • SergZak 240 Points
    Tim said:

I'm a sucker for historical maps.

Sam here. :D

And for those interested, www.historicaerials.com
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    I actually purchased the 1950 imagery from them for the map that I made. :)
  • Always amazes me how coincidental entirely separate people wind up in or near the same place.

I just finished a two week trip by sailboat from Maine to Nova Scotia. A little over 36 hours from Boothbay ME to Shelburn NS over open water. Then on to Moutoon Harbor, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Brooklyn and other stops.

Surprisingly one of the most enjoyable places my GPS and boat have taken me.
  • SergZak 240 Points
    privet01 said:

Always amazes me how coincidental entirely separate people wind up in or near the same place.

@privet01: You don't happen to be Russian do you? I am (but I was born in East Los Angeles)...I know that "privet" means "greetings" in Russian. I also believe that Boyd is Russian as well.

• No, it's just one of the few words I can remember that was taught to me by a Russian girl a very long time ago. I'm from Chicago originally.
  • roadster 96 Points
    edited September 2014
    GPS brought me to a lake, river and told me to cross it Lol
  • werewolf 107 Points
    The worst was when I was up on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington and took what looked like an easy shortcut to a nice spot by the water on my GPS, and it led me through a little woods trail, and when I emerged I emerged by an active shooting range with the shooters looking at me. I didn't want to look lost so I kept going figuring the best tactic is always to look straight ahead and move fast and act like you belong wherever you are. Then I found myself in some sort of compound with military but not uniformed looking people all over. I was trying to find a way to get out when I was flagged over and questioned about how I got in by hostile people. I finally was able to leave, through a secured checkpoint. I never knew what that place was, but I was lucky to get out of there alive.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    This is an interesting thread and I think it should be resurrected. That misadventure I described above was not good and could easily have been much worse, but my GPS has also found many excellent places for me that I would otherwise have never seen. I still have the exact location of that scary place in case anyone might know what it is that I escaped from as I'm still pretty curious even tho it was over ten years ago.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    I've been looking at that place on Google Earth. I think it may be deliberately obscured. Also my new Garmin maps no longer show that "shortcut to the water".
  • alanb said:

Key West last winter. It was fun viewing the trip log across US 1 from Florida City to Key West. But you don't really need the GPS ... only one way to get there and one way out by car.

I love Key West. Lived there for two years back in the 90's.