This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2014 nüvi Advanced Series

Release from Garmin follows...

Today, we announced the 2014 nüvi Advanced Series, combining 5, 6, and 7-inch multi-touch glass displays with premium Garmin navigation. The 2014 Advanced Series is the first nüvi line that comes with Foursquare venues to help users explore new and popular restaurants, stores and more. Additionally, Direct Access is a new feature that makes it easier to find locations inside of complex destinations, such as malls and airports. To assist drivers on the road, the new navigators offer many advanced navigation features only available from Garmin, including Active Lane Guidance, Garmin Real DirectionsTM, photoReal and Bird’s Eye Junction View.
“With larger, multi-touch glass displays, the addition of Foursquare venues and Direct Access, the new nüvi Advanced Series offers an unparalleled navigation experience on the road,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “This new nüvi line combines the benefits of a standalone navigator, such as large displays, preloaded maps and premium navigation features, with crowd-sourced data from Foursquare to help drivers explore new places.”
The 2014 Advanced Series features glass displays that are very responsive and support pinch to zoom. Larger screens allow users to view more driving-related information at a glance. For example, the map-centric interface presents features such as lane guidance and traffic in split-view windows next to the map. All Advanced Series models come with preloaded HERE Maps and points of interest that don’t rely on cellular reception. Also included are lifetime map updates1 and traffic2 avoidance.

Additionally, the new navigators feature millions of preloaded places from Foursquare to find and explore new and popular businesses, stores, restaurants or other destinations. "With information about tens of millions of places, Foursquare has built a location database based off of all the places where people actually go,” said David Rosenberg, International Business Development Manager at Foursquare. “We use this data to help power our personalized local recommendations and we are excited to partner with Garmin to help people navigate the world around them."

Users can easily search for Foursquare places using Garmin’s signature “Where to?” menu to get directions. Bluetooth-enabled nüvi models can connect to the Smartphone Link app3 to search for specific categories such as best places and trending places nearby. Smartphone Link also provides access to more detailed information from Foursquare,including ratings, price range and hours of service.

Direct Access is a new feature that helps users finds places that are located inside larger buildings or groups of buildings. Users can, for example, easily search for restaurants and stores inside a mall; or terminals, parking, and auto rentals inside an airport. The new navigators automatically guide drivers to the entrance that’s closest to their final destination and indicate where it is located. The nüvi will, for example, say: “American Eagle Outfitters® is inside, on the upper level.”

The 2014 nüvi Advanced Series is available now and suggested retail prices range from $199.99 to $349.99.
1 Lifetime Maps entitle you to receive map updates when and as such updates are made available by Garmin during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. For the meaning of a product’s “useful life” and for other important terms and conditions, please see http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/lmdisclaimer.

2Lifetime traffic extends for the useful life of your Garmin traffic receiver or as long as Garmin receives traffic data from its traffic supplier, whichever is shorter. A traffic receiver’s “useful life” means the period during which the receiver (a) has the required technical capabilities to utilize current traffic data service and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. Traffic content not available in all areas.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited September 2014
    Having had a quick look on the US site Garmin continue to muddy the waters with their numbering system, some of the numbers being used for this new range have been in use in the UK for around a year.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited September 2014
    YouTube video here:

Product pages here:

2014 Nuvi Advanced Series

Glad to see a 7" glass screen finally - and at a lower price than the previous 5" glass screens. These new devices don't support 3d terrain or buildings however.
  • I got the 2597 and I dont see anything worthwhile to upgrade.

Foursquare places?? Cant we get that with a simple POI file? :)

• werewolf 107 Points
    edited September 2014

"Glad to see a 7" glass screen finally - and at a lower price than the previous 5" glass screens. These new devices don't support 3d terrain or buildings however."

I was looking at the 2789LMT 7" and thinking I might use the Garmin discount they promised me on it, but it seems to be the only one that's not for sale yet. The Garmin site says:

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

The other new ones seem to be for sale now.

Do you find 3d terrain and buildings a very useful feature? I've never had that so i don't know.

But here is a feature that I do know about, and the 2789 seems to lack it too, according to their comparison chart - Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.) - and I do use this feature, which is even on my old fashioned 276, especially in places like southern Calif. that has private toll roads running parallel to public roads. Why would they leave that off their most expensive model?

• t923347 432 Points
    edited September 2014
    My guess is that it's been left off the webpage, in error, and not left off the device. Not only would not having it mean it was the only one of the 2014 Advanced Units that didn't but it would be, to the best of my knowledge, the only Nuvi model that didn't, right back to the orginal 350.

The other difference I see that's probably a webpage error is that the higher end 2014 models (2589, 2689) show that the device speaks street name using Garmin Real Directions while the 2789 mentioned nothing about Real Directions.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited September 2014
    3d terrain isn't very "useful", but it does look cool in a mountainous area. I guess it could alert you to the fact that one route goes through a valley while another goes over a mountain. The 3d data is actually a separate map - gmapdem.img - that is about 1gb in size. If you enable this map along with another one (such as City Navigator), it "wraps" the features around the 3d terrain. But it will also add 3d terrain to any map, such as a free topo or openstreetmap.

Not terribly keen on the 3d buildings, although they also look cool in a major city (the coverage is very limited). I had to turn it off driving around New York City. GPS reception is already bad there, causing the map to jump around. Rendering 3d buildings just slows the device down too much in this kind of situation.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited September 2014
    werewolf said:

.Do you find 3d terrain and buildings a very useful feature? I've never had that so i don't know.

But here is a feature that I do know about, and the 2789 seems to lack it too, according to their comparison chart - Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.) - and I do use this feature, which is even on my old fashioned 276, especially in places like southern Calif. that has private toll roads running parallel to public roads. Why would they leave that off their most expensive model?

The importance of a specific feature on a GPS device is a personal choice, but IMO, the 3D terrain and buildings are eye candy and not something that I would consider as important in choosing a new GPS. I have a 3597, so I am familiar with these features. But I agree with you that the custom avoidance feature is useful, and I would hope that Garmin hasn't removed it on the new models.

That said, it sometimes leaves me scratching my head on what Garmin is thinking when they remove useful features on new models, so I would not be surprised if the custom avoidance falls into that "head scratcher".category.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited September 2014
    It maybe just a matter of symantics but I believe werewolf is talking about the normal route avoidances (avoid highways, tolls etc) and not the custom avoidance feature which is available on our 3597's (maybe other models as well). I doubt very much if Garmin has removed the route avoidances, and as I said above I'd guess it's just an error on their web page.

Concerning the 3D Terrain, it is definitely "eye candy" but very cool in the mountains and between them and the ocean were I live.
  • What is this: Garmin Nuvi Advanced Series 7", $201.79?

staples.com/Garmin-nuvi-Advanced-Series-GPS-Navigation-System/product_292900

Meanwhile back at the Garmin legal department: Lifetime maps and traffic avoidance - but look at the weasel worded fine print:

1Lifetime Maps entitle you to receive map updates when and as such updates are made available by Garmin during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter.

2Lifetime traffic extends for the useful life of your Garmin traffic receiver or as long as Garmin receives traffic data from its traffic supplier, whichever is shorter.

garmin.blogs.com/pr/2014/09/new-garmin-n%C3%BCvi-advanced-series-features-foursquare-data-large-multi-touch-displays-.html#.VA7_TxYuZRY

Supplier could go out of business and stop sending them maps next week, or they could declare the "useful life" over when the new super-advanced models come out in two years. That's Lifetime in Lawyerspeak.

• sussamb 813 Points
    Sun could fall out the sky ... but it's unlikely ;)

Garmin have a very good history when it comes to supporting older devices, so it's really not worth worrying about.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes, definitely - don't buy it. Garmin and their lawyers are obviously trying to screw you. 8-|
  • t923347 432 Points
    The Nuvi listed on the Staples website is a nüvi® 2757LM Part Number: 010-01061-00 which is not from the new 2014 Advanced Series but is from the previous series which came out in 2013. If your interested in Bluetooth support, this model does not have it.

Also that model your looking at at Staples won't fall prey to Garmin's sneaky lawyerspeak as far as the traffic receiver is concerned because it doesn't come with a traffic receiver OR a lifetime traffic subscription.
  • "The Nuvi listed on the Staples website is a nüvi® 2757LM Part Number: 010-01061-00 which is not from the new 2014 Advanced Series ..."

That's very confusing nomenclature. Were they calling that old model "Advanced Series" before too? A lot of these gadget makers do that - like when the new Google Nexus 7 came out (which I own) they called it the exact same name as the old one. Also I saw someone complaining that the new Garmin models have the same model number as old European models.

Words are supposed to have a meaning, and "lifetime" has one meaning for humans and another for lawyers.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Okay @werefolf, this whole "lifetime" topic has been discussed to death numerous times across multiple threads. Take it up with Garmin... we have no control over what they do. It is off-topic for this thread.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited September 2014
    Yes, the 2013 nuvi lineup has 3 series ... Essential, Advanced and Prestige. So far the 2014 lineup only has Essential and Advanced. The model numbers in the 2014 Essential and Advanced series are different from the 2013 models.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited September 2014
    Garmin came out with the the new device heirarchy several years ago - Prestige/Advanced/Essential. This is nothing new, the units have unique model numbers to differentiate old and new models. I agree their model numbering is confusing, but the product groups seem pretty clear to me - just like GM makes the Chrevrolet and the Cadillac. Are you confused because the car dealer sells 2012, 2013 and 2014 Cadillacs? ;)

Personally I always thought those 50 series units (like 2557, 2757, etc) were sort of a sweet spot for price/features. I have a Nuvi 3550 which is the same hardware as the 3590 but without bluetooth, voice recognition and traffic receiver. That was just what I wanted - I don't find the traffic useful, already have a nice built-in bluetooth hands-free option in the car and the voice recognition never worked well on my 3790. So I could still get the nice glass screen, 3d terrain and other premium features on the 3550 without paying for the stuff I don't want.
  • "Are you confused because the car dealer sells 2012, 2013 and 2014 Cadillacs? "

Well no, because they come right out and call them 2013, or 2014 models. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a new one with a - I guess - 7" screen - because a bigger screen would give a much better overview - but on the other hand I'm not sure if I could find a good spot to put a bigger GPS so that it wouldn't block essential gauges and levers and buttons, and yet give me a proper close up view - it wasn't all that easy finding a good spot for my 276 in my Ford 150 - so I'll need to buy it from a place that has a good return policy in case it doesn't fit.

I guess the glass screen will be best because it would be scratch resistant. Is that latest "advanced" model that's not out yet the only 7 with a glass screen?

I don't think I need a lot of the bells and whistles. I don't really want bluetooth or voice recognition or (I guess) traffic either.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just note that the big screen doesn't really "give a much better overview". If you put 4", 5" and 7" Nuvis side by side and zoom to the same scale, each one shows the exact same view, just different sizes. So the main advantage is simply that the screen is bigger. It does not show any additional detail.
  • But you could turn the bigger screen down to a smaller scale and then see more of the surroundings, that is a better overview, no?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It's the same overview just larger, assuming you select a smaller scale on the others too ...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I have a 5" Nuvi 3550 and 7" Dezl 760. They both have 800x480 screens. The image on the screen is identical, the pixels are just bigger on the 7" device. So, in other words, if you just mount the 5" device closer to your eyes, you would see the exact same thing.

It is true that making things larger helps with readability though. The only problem with your theory is that Garmin has "rigged the game" when it comes to zooming. No matter what you do, the minor roads will disappear from the screen when you zoom out farther than .5 miles. So if you currently already use the Nuvi at the .5 mile scale, the bigger screen won't really help. If you zoom to .8 miles, all the little roads disappear from the screen.

I make my own maps and have spent a number of years tweaking them for the Nuvi. Just working on one now, and I have made the map in a non-standard way that allows me to show minor roads up to the 3 mile zoom. This map looks exactly the same on my 5" nuvi, but I like the big 7" Dezl because the it makes the fine detail more visible. For just using City Navigator though, I always choose the 5" Nuvi. It is just a lot easier to stash when parking the car or slip into a pocket.

• Guess I better rethink my 7" plan. What size and model is the GPS in your picture, Boyd? It looks big - and pretty. Doesn't it cover up your radio and part of the vent, though? That wouldn't be Rt 569 through the Pine Barrens, would it?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited September 2014
    It is a 7" Dezl 760, as I posted above. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/trucking/dezl-760lmt/prod112211.html

My reason for choosing this model is unusual though. It is the only 7" device that supports my custom dashboards: http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/

I would say that the hardware is the same as the 2797 and 2757 at the Staples link that you posted, as well as the RV 760. But the Dezl 760 runs a version of the 2012 Nuvi software and the others are based on the 2013 software. Garmin dropped custom dashboard support in 2013.

Unless you are driving a big truck, a 7" device is likely to block something…the photo above should speak for itself - I drive a VW Tiguan. I always mount my GPS devices low such that they are outside the field of view when looking at the road. I find it much safer to glance down as needed instead of having the constant distraction of a screen at eye level. I build my own very simple custom mounts. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a suction cup with a big device like this. ;)

That photo was taken with my phone in an outstretched hand. From the driver's view, it does not block the vents and only blocks the screen on the radio, not the buttons or knobs. This was the best compromise I could arrive at.

Do you mean Rt 563 maybe? No, this is much farther South, near Millville, NJ.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.34391661027311&lng=-74.95659369628908&z=13&type=roadmap&gpx=

Here's a closer view of the screen.

• "Do you mean Rt 563 maybe? No, this is much farther South, near Millville, NJ."

Yeah, 563 maybe, and, duh, I didn't even think of looking at the GPS screen right in front of me. I just thought that road looked familiar. I'm forgetting the road numbers down there, which is which, but no I'm not familiar with the roads farther south. I used to haunt the roads in the heart of the NJ Pine Barrens.

I have a bigger vehicle, a Ford F-150, but there's really no more spare room around the dashboard than on your VW, maybe very slightly.

I've got my 276 mounted on a - forgot the name - accessory plastic mount with a ball and socket. It's screwed down on top of the dash and then extended forwards towards me, like resting on the ridge above where your speedometer is. I'll probably be looking at the 5" model first. There'd be no good place to put the 7
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited September 2014
    werewolf said:

But you could turn the bigger screen down to a smaller scale and then see more of the surroundings, that is a better overview, no?

If you do this, you will lose map detail.

If you have two screens with the same pixel size but different physical sizes, the bigger screen does not really provide better overview: any attempts to un-zoom the map on the big screen with show more terrain, but will lose small detail. The same thing will happen on the smaller screen: un-zooming the map with also show more terrain, but will lose small detail in exactly the same way.

Unfortunately, increasing physical screen size without increasing pixel count achieves nothing besides pure marketing.

• werewolf 107 Points
    edited September 2014
    Boyd said:

Unless you are driving a big truck, a 7" device is likely to block something…the photo above should speak for itself -...

The truck driver in the Garmin ad that you linked has his mounted right smack in the middle of his windshield, and it looks like a pretty small windshield besides!

And yes I well know about the problem of zooming out to get an overview but then losing the small roads etc. You still can't beat an old fashioned paper map, huh? Like the free road maps you can pick up at any Esso or Mobilgas station.
  • I agree, you still can't beat a paper map. I have a 20 year old Rand McNally atlas in the pocket behind the front passenger seat that I still refer to quite a bit when I need an overall look at my trip or potential route change. An overall view with a laptop or tablet is my next best thing.

Trying to zoom out and get an overall view on my nuvi or marine gps's is slow, tedious and least productive.