This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan Explorist 510 City navigation instructions

I have bought a Magellan Explorist 510 and i want to use it only for city navigation. This device is equipped with world map edition and i want to play with address (name of address & postcode etc). Is there a way to insert the address and press go button and direct me to this point (not with voice). I saw an address but i got a message that the map is not routable ??? Any kind of help will be significant to me!!!

Kind Regards

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    If it was me and I really wanted to stick with the Explorist, rather than spending $99 for the NA map, I would consider selling the 510 and buying an Explorist 710 that comes bunded with the routable map.
  • I bought Explorist 510 around $200 new condition from eBay and as i saw Explorist 710 is much more expensive. A compatible other city map (US & europe or world edition) inserted via sd card would be a reasonable solution for me??? Any help would be convenient to me???

thanks for your reply
  • I also found the following interesting (according to my previous note)
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Magellan
    but i expect analytical instructions on how to do it as i am new to Magellan GPS technology, especially mentioning using microSD memory card and "tritonmod" or "eXmod" launcher??? eXmod launcher???

thanks
  • alanb 375 Points
    Well, I don't know much about the Explorist series, but as I look at the link you posted, it looks to me like the OSM maps for Magellan are not routable.
  • It's seems to me the same. I will try to do this
    http://maps4me.net/exmod-en
    and if it does not succeed i will think about .... 710???

I just learned a lot of things these days!!!!

Kind Regards and thanks for your help.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Or you might consider just buying an inexpensive automotive GPS for road travel and keep your 510 for trail/offroad activities. For example, you can often pick up a new or refurbished Garmin nuvi with lifetime map subscription for less than $100
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    asimkon said:

I have bought a Magellan Explorist 510 and i want to use it only for city navigation.

Do you really want it ONLY for CITY use? Does that mean walking around a city or driving?
    alanb said:

Or you might consider just buying an inexpensive automotive GPS

If you are only using it in a city, you might just sell the Magellan and get one of the older Garmin glass-screen nuvis. I don't know where you're located, but here in the US you can buy a factory refurb Nuvi 3760LMT for $120 at GPSCity for example. This is a very thin device with a 4" screen that looks like a smartphone. It includes lifetime City Navigator map updates and a traffic receiver for the car. I used its close cousin, the Nuvi 3790, on foot in New York City for awhile and it worked well. These older models still have the Advanced Pedestrian Navigation Mode that Garmin has removed from the newer models.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-3760t/prod63152.html
  • I want to use it for pedestrian use only as for car i have got another 7'' size !!!

Kind Regards
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    edited September 2014
    To me "pedestrian" means walking around a city. Devices like the Explorist were really designed for hiking around the woods, so they're waterproof and shockproof which makes them rather bulky. I have several of these handheld devices - a Magellan Triton, Garmin GPSMap 60csx and Garmin Montana 600. I would not use any of them as a pedestrian in the city.

For one thing, they just look out of place on a city street and call attention to the fact that you don't know your way around. I use my iPhone primarily in the city now. It's compact and I already have it. It also uses cell towers and wifi signals to establish your postion, which can be a big help in an urban area where big buildings block the satellites. But I did use a Garmin Nuvi 3790 for this a few years ago. It looks like a smartphone, and everyone in the city is staring at their phones so you blend right in.
  • I installed iGo Navigation & maps on Magellan Explorer 510 (sd card) and i am ready to conquer both city and woods. With one device i can do both of them (save up much money). After that i think Garmin would be suitable for my grand grand grand children???
    I had had a wonderful time and of course learn a lot???

thanks
  • Yes. IMHO, usage of "exmod" and third party navigation software for street navigation is a good solution. You can use not only an iGO, but also "City Guide", "Navitel", "7 ways" and may be some other soft.

But there is a problem: when you use "exmod" you can not access to Magellan screen brightness or sound volume settings without a rebooting your device.