This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Amazon Garmin Discontinued

This discussion was created from comments split from: 3597 ETAs.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    So they are both selling a model that isn't being made anymore. This is pretty much off topic for this thread on 3597 ETAs
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Garmin has historically continued to sell, and in some cases even still manufacture, devices labeled as "discontinued. From our Garmin Discontinued Status article from 2008:
    Strictly speaking, “discontinued” means that the device is no longer in production. No new devices will be built of models that are discontinued. However, according to my conversations with Garmin on the subject– even that isn’t a 100% certainty. They said it isn’t uncommon for one of their factories to call and say “hey, we’ve got enough parts kicking around to build XYZ model… want us to build a few?”
  • werewolf 107 Points
    edited October 2014
    Garmin's model numbers are totally inscrutable to me. I'm looking for a new GPS, a Nuvi I guess, to replace my 276C, and I'd like to see what the latest and greatest model has to offer, but I can't even figure out what it is. Garmin shows the Model 3597LMTHD is the latest and greatest, and, I think, the most expensive 5" screen model, but Amazon tells me that model has been discontinued!

Garmin 2014 models:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-c574-p1.html

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-3597LMTHD-Bluetooth-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00AXX0IC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411172436&sr=1-1&keywords=nüvi®+3597LMTHD

Another question: Garmin guy on the phone told me that the Nuvis don't work at all off the road and won't show dirt roads like those in the desert out here, like those that ARE shown on the Garmin road map. Is that true? Then what will happen if I turn off a paved road and on to a dirt road? Will the Nuvi screen go blank or something? Will it not show my waypoints that happen to be on dirt roads? Will I not be able to create a new waypoint that happens not to be on a paved road? And what about people who live a few miles down a dirt road?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Doesn't really matter whether it's a dirt road or not, if it's not on the map your nuvi won't be able to navigate along it. So yes, the nuvi screen will be blank and what normally happens is that you get a straight line from the nearest point on a road and a message saying 'navigate off road'. Waypoints not on roads will be shown though, and you should be able to create waypoints not on a road.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2014
    It will show your position and waypoints whether or not the road is on the map. Obviously, you cannot create routes on non-existant roads. If the start or end of a route is not on a road, the GPS will route to the closest point on a mapped road and prompt you to continue to it. My house is 1000 feet off the road and I see this happen if I try to route to it.

Some of the nuvis (1xxx series) would not allow you to select a blank spot on the map and create a waypoint. Newer ones balk when you try to do this and attempt to move the waypoint to the nearest road. But if you zoom in far enough and tap a blank spot it will create a waypoint and call it "coordinates". You can always create waypoints directly by entering coordinates as well.

Of course, you can always use alternate maps, like a topo, if you need to see dirt roads. Garmin's 24k map series is fully routable. Non-routable topo maps also work for showing your location and creating waypoints.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    edited October 2014
    "It will show your position and waypoints whether or not the road is on the map."

Most of the dirt roads I'm talking about ARE on the Garmin City Navigator map. They are depicted by a broken lines to distinguish them from paved roads which are solid lines. I don't need, or want, turn by turn directions on those roads, I just want to see where I am on them, as I can do on my 276, and see where my waypoints are too. Will the new Nuvis do that? Can I use the Garmin topo maps on the Nuvi, and leave it in memory along with the City Navigator so that I can switch between them?

So then what is the latest Garmin Nuvi 5" model, or are they between models right now, tho the "discontinued" one is listed under their "2014 models", but then if they number models like they do maps they should be well in 2015 by now?

I used to understand Garmin model numbers when they were called Model 2 followed by Model 2+ followed by Model 3, or even Model 176 followed by 276. (I had, or still have) all of those (I think I had model 3...but I'm not sure about that one now). Garmin service used to be so great in its early days. Once I called in about some problem with my model 2 so the Garmin man said don't worry about it, don't even return it, and he sent me a 2+ free.
  • t923347 432 Points
    All the latest Nuvi models are shown on the link you posted above:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-c574-p1.html

The list does contain one Prestige model, the 3597LMTHD, which is a hold over from last year, and will at some point be discontinued as it's no longer being manufactured.

The remaining models contain 10 5" devices. Four Advanced models and 6 Essential models.

Any of the Nuvi's will show you where you are as long as they have a satellite lock. Whether you'll see your location on a broken line or, more likely a light gray line, will depend on whether that dirt road is in the map data. A lot of them are but no one can tell you whether the one you want is there or not.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I have been surprised by some of the dirt roads, forest roads, etc. that are shown on the City Navigator map as routable unpaved roads. I have driven to some of those roads and they would at least require a four WD and in some cases a four wheeler to get through them ... certainly not navigable with my FWD passenger car. When I was exploring the Black Hills a few years ago, I had to turn around more than once on roads that my nuvi routed me on.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I agree alan, the number and detail of what look like roads only horses could handle appear on the City Navigator maps.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    It sounds like the Nuvi will work much like my 276 off major roads and on dirt roads in the desert - or, for that matter, in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. So why was I being told that the Nuvis are only good on paved roads? What about my other question: can I install and use Garmin topo map on a Nuvi? I did get the impression, though, that it might be a bit awkward, but still doable, to enter a new waypoint on a Nuvi if it is a spot on their map with no road shown. Is that correct? But it there is a broken line/light gray line road, then no problem, right? Well, I'll only know for sure what the Nuvi can or can't do that my 276 does when I try one out for a while.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited October 2014
    I think entering a waypoint would be about the easiest thing you could do with a Nuvi. As long as you have a sat lock, your going to have a vehicle icon on the map screen which will indicate your present location. Whether that location is on a paved road, dirt road, or in the middle of a field somewhere, simply tapping the vehicle icon you'll get a "Where am I" screen that will display your present location's latitude, longitude and elevation. Tap Save, give the location a name, and tap Done. Waypoint set!

You will want to insure your Nuvi has the Where am I feature. Look under Safe Navigation Features in the Specs page of any Nuvi listed on the Garmin website. It's quite possible that all Nuvi's now have this feature but I can't be sure as I've not looked at them all.

I'm sure Boyd will be around here shortly. He's probably the resident expert on using Topo Maps. I know I've done it in the past but he has views about how the detail is displayed and whether they will be of much value to you.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I am not sure why you were told it would be awkward to create a waypoint off road. You can easily do it by marking a point on the map and saving it. You can even navigate to it. The nuvi will take you to the nearest road, then strait line you over to the waypoint. Here is a screen shot of a destination waypoint I made in the middle of a corn field on my 3597 image
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited October 2014
    As I said above, you can put topo maps on a Nuvi and the 24k series is routable, with Navteq road data. I have used them on several Nuvis as well as an Oregon and Montana. They will not have some of the city navigator features though - no speed limits, lane assist or junction view.

The problem is that they generally look like a mess on the Nuvi with big fat contour lines and very dark shaded terrain that cannot be turned off. This can make the little roads hard to see. Some POIs will not display on the Nuvi.

It is possible to improve the appearance on the Nuvi, there is a long thread about this here somewhere. I make my own maps and am optimizing them for the Nuvi, but I don't know of anyone else who does this. See the screenshot below.

For a 5" device, you could also look at the 3550 and 3590. They are cheaper than the 3597 and support custom dashboards.

[edit] Here's the thread about topo maps on the Nuvi, FWIW..

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/27990/better-looking-topo-maps-for-the-nuvi-3xxx-and-others/p1
  • werewolf 107 Points
    Thanks for the responses, guys.
    Boyd said:

For a 5" device, you could also look at the 3550 and 3590. They are cheaper than the 3597 and support custom dashboards.

But those models are not even shown on the Garmin website:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/browse.ep?filters=cOnTheRoad+cAutomotive+c574++atFILTER_FEATURE_NEW_01+bBRAND466+

Your customized topo maps look like a big improvement - if I could figure out how to do that.

Meanwhile, thanks to a "master reset", my old 276 has come back to life, so I'll keep plugging along with it for now and see if Garmin comes up with something new and wonderful, especially since I haven't been doing much traveling lately.

• Boyd 1985 Points
    werewolf said:

But those models are not even shown on the Garmin website

Sure they are. The link you posted was only the new models.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-3550lm/prod74086.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-3590lmt/prod96637.html

A factory refurb 3590 with full warranty is in stock and only $140 at GPSCity. That is quite a bargain IMO. :)
  • werewolf 107 Points
    "A factory refurb 3590 with full warranty is in stock and only $140 at GPSCity. That is quite a bargain IMO"

I'd be afraid to buy anything but the latest Garmin device, because I don't know when they'll pull the "it's been discontinued and it's lifetime is over and we're not updating it anymore" line again.
  • popej 57 Points
    werewolf said:

So why was I being told that the Nuvis are only good on paved roads?

Unpaved roads are as good as highways for navigations but usually one block them in avoidances. Hiking trails are excluded in car mode, but if this is the only path, then nuvi will use it too. Problem with nuvi is that it locks position on the road. If roads are sparse or drawn at wrong place, your nuvi could mislead you as for your real position.
    werewolf said:

can I install and use Garmin topo map on a Nuvi?

It depends on some undefined properties of a map. You can assume, that topo maps from Garmin won't work but free maps should be supported (I haven't tested US Topo).
    werewolf said:

"I'd be afraid to buy anything but the latest Garmin device, because I don't know when they'll pull the "it's been discontinued and it's lifetime is over and we're not updating it anymore" line again.

I have opposite feelings. I rather won't buy a new model, because it will have bugs and there is no guarantee that Garmin will correct them (this is my experience with nuvi 3760). And usually new models miss some features, like for example bike and pedestrian mode in recent nuvis.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Feeling as you do, I don't know why you even consider Garmin products. But the $140 Nuvi 3590 is a 2012 model and the $330 Nuvi 3597 is a 2014 model. So - with your "logic" - you'd pay almost $200 more for a device that Garmin will support for two more years. Doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me.
  • alanb 539 Points
    3597LMTHD refurb is $250 at GPSNation.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    "Problem with nuvi is that it locks position on the road. If roads are sparse or drawn at wrong place, your nuvi could mislead you as for your real position. "

Can you disconnect road lock on the Nuvis like you can on my 276?

"Feeling as you do, I don't know why you even consider Garmin products. "

If I knew of another company whose GPS works as good I would go with it, but looking at reviews it seems that Garmin is still the best, plus I've used Garmin GPS for years, going back to the days when almost no one knew what GPS was. $140 is a good price. That's almost 1/5 of what I paid for my 276 with all the required accessories 11 years ago or so, not even counting for inflation.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    werewolf said:

" Can you disconnect road lock on the Nuvis like you can on my 276?

None of the Nuvis support this. Outdoor devices like the Montana do.