This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Wish They Hadn't Discontinued the (XXX)

My Garmin 2597 takes me on wandering, indirect routes, and from some of the comments I read on Amazon, that's not totally alien to TomTom, either, at least the via 1535 I'm considering. I suspect some of these complaints are related to the map, while some are software, but some might well be hardware, so I'm wondering when, and with what model, all this changed. My XL340 works great, but concerns over update cost and possibly worsening software prevent me from updating it.

What model Garmin or TomTom do you wish they hadn't discontinued?

Comments

• sussamb 621 Points
    I'm really amazed when I hear things like this. I've navigated for years now with initially a 1490 and now a nuvi 2508. The vast majority of the time it does what I'm expecting, occasionally it picks what to me is a less than perfect route but still gets me to my destination. I can only think of a few occasions when I actually felt it had done something that was totally flawed. In all I can safely say it's got me lost/picked strange routes far less frequently than my wife ever did :D
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I think it all boils down to the map.
    A good test to compare would be to have the same map installed in a new model and a discontinued model and with comparable settings (traffictrends off, same avoidances, etc) and see if there is a difference in the routing.
  • t923347 392 Points
    edited October 2014
    I suspect that the vast number of indirect routing complains can be placed at the feet of the GPS operator. Setting avoidances, preferred route calculation methods, turning certain features on or off, etc. can have a big effect on the route any GPS will calculate. All of those setting are determined by the user unless they simply turn the device on and work with the default settings.

Sure there are things like Garmin's traffic trends and myTrends that sound good on paper but don't work so well in the real world. I'm sure TomTom has similar issues with some of their "features". As we have seen, turning off things like these goes a long way in clearing up, what seems like poor routing.

I've owned 6 different Nuvi models and two Tom Tom's (930T and XXL 540S) since 2005 and all of them have, on occasion, taken me, for example, off a freeway and immediately back on to it again. Since 2005, I've only once had my GPS direct me to a place where my only alternative was to turn around and start over because the road I was on ended and my destination wasn't anywhere in site. That was using the TomTom by the way. Overall, I thing any device from Garmin or TomTom will get you from A to B with little or no problem, as long as the map data is good.

What model GPS do I wish they hadn't discontinued - why none of course. If I'd preferred a older model over a newer one I wouldn't have bought the new one in the first place. Every new model I've purchased has had features, form factor, or something that made it better than the last one I'd bought. Sure, there may have been some feature of the older unit that suddenly was gone on the new one but usually I've found a workaround or Garmin has eventually added back in the thing I missed.

• Hmm. I can't comment on what others may have done with their preferences, but mine were pretty close to factory default. I had "quickest" set, and the only avoidance was "dirt roads," plus, of course, I had the traffic settings enabled, but I think that was a default. The system still sent me down a stoplight-ridden road instead of a parallel freeway less than half a mile away, of which I did not learn until I finally got a map out of frustration. It took me off a freeway at Exit 13, then back onto the freeway at 13, up to Exit 14 and then surface roads to get me back to Exit 13's road. It took me off a freeway one exit early when I could see the proper mall exit just ahead with no blockages, then through neighborhoods on an extended, longer route to the rear of the mall. Eventually, we put the Garmin away and used Apple maps, which worked much better.

Was that caused by traffic settings? It could be, of course, but when I learned to ignore the routing I seemed to get there more quickly. This never happened to me with my old TomTom with just IQ Routes, but it seems to be happening more frequently now to many other users. Too many features, poorly integrated?

If you're telling me there's no point in looking for older hardware that might have fewer problems, however, then I'll believe you.
  • t923347 392 Points
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, but IMHO, looking for older hardware, with fewer problems, is pretty much a waste of your time. Any automobile GPS will have some issues, so if your looking for the perfect GPS in every location, and situation, then your never going to fine it so you might as well just keep using the GPS you have or take the leap and buy a different one that you think meets your requirements and budget. Personally I think your plan to replace a fairly new Nuvi with a older model Tom Tom is like trading in your new Cadillac for a 2 year old Chevy, but it's your money.
  • privet01 142 Points
    Are you talking about a route the GPS picked when given a destination. Or, are you talking about a route that you may have added via's or shaping points? My GPS's have always given me a valid route when all I do is set a destination. Albeit it often is not quite the way I want to go.

Issues can start happening when adding points to shape a route to make it go where you want. If a point gets placed on the wrong side of the interstate, then certainly it's going to route through several interchanges to get over that point on the wrong side of the road and then go through another interchange to go back the other way to the destination. Similar things happen when going through cities if a shaping/via point gets mistakenly place in a subdivision instead of the highway next to it then it's a bunch of odd unnecessary turns..
  • No, I just set the final destination. I hadn't learned about the via method of adding intermediate destinations until I returned from a strange city and began seriously researching what went wrong with the Garmin during our trip.

It's happened since then, here at home, too, now that I'm aware and looking for issues. It took me three miles out of my way, past the shopping center's exit to the next exit, then two one-mile legs to bring to the back of the shopping center along a named road through the parking lot. I described these actions to the Garmin Customer Service representative, who said it should not have happened that way. His hard reset didn't accomplish anything useful.
  • sussamb 621 Points
    I'm beginning to suspect something is wrong with your nuvi. Are you able to post examples of start and finish points that give you these strange routings so that some of us are able to run them on our nuvis to see whether we get the same results?
  • privet01 142 Points
    How are you adding the destination? Touching the screen or entering an address?
  • privet01, When I had the problems last month in Baltimore we entered all destinations entering the address by hand; I'm unaware of a way to do it by touching the screen. Recently, though, I've been using the convenient "voice command" and I like it a lot. Today I entered my first "via" command, and learned not to take a shortcut off its planned path to the intermediate destination or it will assume you're skipping it.

sussamb, yes, I think there's something wrong, too, and so did customer service. I expect to ship it back to them to look at in a week or so. I can't post examples of the routes, however, as most occurred in Baltimore and I was never sure where I was at the time. Things got better after I got the map and began ignoring the Garmin's instructions, but then that doesn't answer you either. The more recent example I posted above on 10 October re local errors, I have been unable to duplicate it by either a simulated run or by an actual run. I can only suppose it was a minor glitch relating to a traffic report or something else; in any case, it is not a verified error.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    "What model Garmin or TomTom do you wish they hadn't discontinued? "

My 276C, of course.
  • menhir 49 Points
    As for me, I wish they hadn't continued the Nuvi 550.
    It's been perfectly suited for my motorcycle touring activities, especially being waterproof and having a long battery life. Garmin doesn't seem to have any plans for a similar device at a similar price point to replace it.
    Mine is getting old and it shows. I'll miss it.
  • +1 on the 550