This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Problem Updating nüvi 2598LMTHD

Kensy 0 Points
edited October 2014 in GPS Recommendations
Hi. Just bought this gps and wanted to update to the newest maps. But it is taking hours and hours (the software says 21 minutes remaining) and nothing seems to be happening. I am using latest Mac OS. Anyone know if this sort of behavior is normal? I have queried Garmin but it is the weekend and there is a holiday on Monday so I don't expect to hear from them until late next week. Any suggestions are welcome. thanks.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited October 2014
    Well you don't say which map but a couple of hours can be normal with the full EU mapset depending on your ISP speed etc. Don't be fooled by apparent inaction either ... that too can be normal. Just be patient.
  • Kensy 0 Points
    Thank you Susan. I saw somewhere a wait time of eight (yes 8) hours. Full 2015.20 north america plus 5 software updates waiting to be installed. Patience is knocking on my door. Cheers.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited October 2014
    Well, if you have been waiting 8 hours and nothing is changing ... I suspect nothing is happening. You may as well cancel and try again. I have Mediacom cable rated at 15 Mbps. Downloading and installing the full CN NA map product normally takes 45 to 90 minutes ... and that is right after a new map release when Garmin's servers are extra busy. So unless you are on a very slow DSL or dial-up connection, 8 hours is not normal.
  • Kensy 0 Points
    Thanks, Alan. I haven't got 8 hours on it yet. My download speed is around 50+. Haven't much choice but to stick with it for a bit more. Then wait till Tuesday to see what's going on.
  • Kensy 0 Points
    Situation corrected with a phone call to Garmin and a most helpful tech. Turned off Garmin, restarted computer, and Garmin Express did what it was supposed to do. All is updated and good for another 4 months or so. Download of maps took about 12 minutes, not 8 or 9 hours thank goodness.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Don't be fooled. I suspect the map had already downloaded so it was stuck at building the map set, restarting everything allowed it to do that hence around 12 minutes.
  • Kensy 0 Points
    Don't understand the part about being fooled. No one's fooling anyone here, are they?
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited October 2014
    You said that the download of maps took about 12 minutes. I think sussamb interpreted that as you thinking the actual download of the map data from the Garmin server took 12 minutes. I believe you already had the map data on your computer and the 12 minutes taken after you restarted your computer was the time required to compile the map data and transfer it from your computer to your Nuvi.

The 8 or 9 hours you referred to is not really uncommon when downloading the map data from the Garmin server to the computer on a slow internet connection. Once the data is on your computer the remaining time to get it on the Nuvi could be in the 12 minute range.
  • Kensy 0 Points
    Could be you are Susan are right. I don't know. I know that the tech told me that nothing had downloaded to the GPS and things didn't start humming until after the reset when I could see the bar moving across the screen instead of a constant blue and white barber pole twirling away for hours on end. The only Garmin material that I see in my download folder now are the Garmin Express and the Web Updater. Nothing there about maps. At any rate. things are working fine now and I am pleased with the help I got from Garmin on the phone.
  • t923347 432 Points
    It's sussamb not Susan. But I should let him explain that. ;)

The map download is a large series of small .img files that get downloaded to a default location on your computer and I don't believe you can direct where those files go. They would not by default go into your download folder. I can't find the posts that talk about where the default location is but the update process may be smart enough to delete all the smaller files once they have been compiled into the large gmapprom.img file that ends up on your Nuvi.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    The downloaded files will be in \Program Data\Garmin\Core Update Service

And yes, it's sussamb lol
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    t923347 said:

It's sussamb not Susan. But I should let him explain that. ;)

And don't call him "Shirley". :))