This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin GPS III Plus date problem



  • It's now February 2019 and the advice in this thread worked perfectly to fix my incorrect date showing up on my 20 year old GPS Pilot III. Fortunately I still had the serial cable (with USB adapter) to connect my unit to my PC and the linked GPSeow app worked great to update everything.

    Fingers crossed that everything still works after the next epoch rollover coming this April!
  • usafa76 35 Points
    edited February 2019
    Big thank you to @cjba850. Your solution worked great on my GPS III Plus on Feb-25-2019. As previously noted you MUST NOT have any satellites connected at the time you send the signal, or it will not work.
  • I know this is an old thread but I now have this problem with my 3+ GPS. it displays the year 2000. Everything else is fine. Some one had share a link to a read me file but it is no longer accurate. Does someone have the file they could send me. Thanks
  • Is the link in this post what you want?

    Don Jordan

    cjba850 40 Points
    January 2015
    Hi Guys.

    I have a GARMIN GPS III (not plus), and I had the 1995 problem (mine was showing may) that you seem to have.

    I discovered it could be a combination of the Y2K bug, and the End of Week problem. Apparently around in 1999, the way GPS was operating needed to be updated, so they changed a few things in the method. The End-Of Week issue was solved by an update for GARMIN GPS units (including the GPS III).

    I found a link at that (near the bottom) spoke about the end-of-week problem. The Readme file from Garmin (and the Zip file) are linked, but it links to:


    Zip File:

    I know this says GPS38, but it seems it was a generic problem in many units (one program to fix all), and the software seems OK on my GPS III

    I had the serial cable for the PC, so I powered up my GPS, attached it to the computer, and ran the GPSEOW file on my PC. After I got the serial port working in (COM1 - COM4, rather than COM5 I had by default), it connected, and updated my GPS. It now has Jan 2015 (correctly)!

    It does need to autolocate after the update, so having an antenna and the sky handy is useful, but that seemed to behave OK after it got a fix.

    So, even with my Win8.1 PC, and a USB-Serial adapter in 2015. I can get it to update fine.

    Hope that helps someone else.

Sign In or Register to comment.
↑ Top