This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

handheld importing kmz file public hunting land

Hi. I am interested in purchasing a handheld. I currently reside in North Carolina, and I am hunting on public game lands. The NC division of wildlife has KMZ files that can be uploaded to Google earth on a computer. The files highlight the state hunting land so you can clearly see the entire area. Part of the problem in the field is some of the land is not clearly marked. My question is can these same files be uploaded to a handheld and can the information be used so I stay on the public land. thank you.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    A .kmz file is actually a "container" than can hold different things, so there's no way to generalize about what it might be. New(er) Garmin handhelds can use .kmz files but they must be a specific type. They must contain raster imagery (pictures) in JPEG format, and there are limitations as to the size and number of JPEGs that can be used. Generally speaking, unless the file you want to use was specifically made for a Garmin device, it is unlikely to work.

Aside from that, it might be possible to convert your file to a format that would work on Garmin. But again, it's not possible to know without looking at the file. Garmin really "owns" the handheld market here in the US. I have a Garmin Montana 600 and GPSMap 60csx, but I also have a Magellan Triton 1500. Personally, I would not buy any handheld other than Garmin in today's market, and definitely would not buy another Magellan product. But that's just me. :)
  • thanks. I'm leaning towards a Garmin etrex 20 or higher. I just started researching them, and this will be my first handheld.
  • DaveM 159 Points
    I have an etrex 20 it's a good unit and easy to use. I don't think you could go wrong with one. However REI has the etrex 30 on sale for $159 that's $20 less then the etrex 20. For that price I would go with the etrex 30 if I was ready to buy now.
  • I wound up at Dicks Sporting goods last night, and they had a Garmin etrex 20 demo on clearance for $49.97, so I purchased it. It came with everything but the box. I thought it was a good deal, couldn't pass it up.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That is a fantastic deal. Congratulations - enjoy the new GPS!