This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin 2557LMT vs 3580LMT: Which one should I keep?

waqqas31 81 Points
edited December 2014 in GPS Recommendations
For starters, the 3580LMT is the Costco exclusive of the 3590LMT. The only difference is that the bundled cable is a GTM 36 instead of the GTM 60.

I paid exactly the same amount for each model (thanks to Black Friday).

I will list the merits of each model that are of importance to me:

2557LMT:
Traffic receiver is built into the GPS itself
Power can be from any USB cable (so I don't need a Garmin car adapter which will hog my 12V outlet.)
I was able to get an extended warranty to cover the entire box's contents for 3 years.
Map screen shows both the name of the road I am driving on as well as the road where my next action will be.

3580LMT:
Screen resolution and vibrancy is outstanding
Dashboards feature allows me to get ALL the info I need on the map screen: Speed, Direction, Arrival Time, Arrival Distance.
Map screen also has buttons for 1-touch STOP, MUTE and traffic conditions/status.

My main concern is that with the 3580LMT, I am stuck with Garmin's 1-yr warranty. I am worried about the multiple "points of failure" on the 3580LMT, such as the unit itself, the powered speaker-mount and the traffic receiver cable. I know the mount will run me at least $30 Cdn and the cable will be $40 Cdn (when sourced locally).

What I would like the community's feedback on is their experience with hardware and accessory failures for these models? Is peace-of-mind with an extended warranty key or should I back my hardware to last me a good 2-3 years?

All comments would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    For me the custom dashboards feature is a must-have. :) http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/

Did you use a credit card? Many card companies double the manufacturer's warranty (I know my American Express does this). My 3550 is about two years old with no problems (although I don't use it much anymore). I got a 3790 in the summer of 2010 and used it for several years. Gave it to a family member about two years ago and she is still using it. In fact, I have owned about 6 nuvis and 4 Garmin handhelds over the years. Never had hardware problems with any of them. But maybe I'm just lucky? ;)
  • DaveM 159 Points
    Electronics have what is known as infant mortality. You will get some failures when they are new then almost none for a long time. The chance of failure in year 2 or 3 would be extremely low. I never buy an extended warranty on electronics. Costco is good about standing behind what they sell and as Boyd said many credit card companies extend the warranty. I would not let the warranty influence my decision.
  • Thank you for your replies!

I did call my credit card company and my 3580LMT purchase did, in fact, qualify for an extra year's warranty.

But at the end of the day, I opted to keep the interior of my car as clean as possible, so I chose to keep the 2557LMT. Just being able to use an extremely svelte and flexible mini-USB cable plugged into my Blackberry car charger (1 USB female port and 1 micro USB extensible cable), I can keep two things going at once with no need to fiddle and no need to route and hide the extremely unwieldy GTM 36 cable.

Yesterday, I understood why Garmin did away with Dashboards. Their new GUI dynamically pops out relevant alerts from the right side of the screen, which would require the correctly sized GUI elements at the bottom of the screen. It would be more hard work for them if the pop-out had to adjust with custom dashboards, not to mention potential legal ramifications should the information come across un-clearly because the graphical elements did not play nicely with each other and the result was the driver getting involved in a mishap.

Lastly, I do like the Garmin Real Directions (not in 3580) feature (which is in my father-in-law's 5-yr old TomTom FYI) which gives you intuitive directions like "stay in the right lane" or "take the third right" or "turn right at the end of the street."

All-in-all, I feel at peace with my decision, despite the restocking fee I will have to pay on the 3580 :)

Thanks again for the replies.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited December 2014
    waqqas31 said:

But at the end of the day, I opted to keep the interior of my car as clean as possible, so I chose to keep the 2557LMT. Just being able to use an extremely svelte and flexible mini-USB cable plugged into my Blackberry car charger (1 USB female port and 1 micro USB extensible cable), I can keep two things going at once with no need to fiddle and no need to route and hide the extremely unwieldy GTM 36 cable..

Are you sure your built-in traffic receiver will work properly without the Garmin power cord? It is my understanding that the nuvi's with a built in traffic receiver require the Garmin TA20 power cable because it contains the antenna for the internal traffic receiver.

I don't have any first hand experience with these models ... just going by what I have read elsewhere.

• sussamb 813 Points
    I think alanb is correct ... if I try to run my 2508LMT-D without the specific TA20 cable 'traffic' is greyed out.
  • alanb 539 Points
    I assume the "TA" stands for Traffic Antenna
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I believe so .... ;)
  • alanb said:

waqqas31 said:

But at the end of the day, I opted to keep the interior of my car as clean as possible, so I chose to keep the 2557LMT. Just being able to use an extremely svelte and flexible mini-USB cable plugged into my Blackberry car charger (1 USB female port and 1 micro USB extensible cable), I can keep two things going at once with no need to fiddle and no need to route and hide the extremely unwieldy GTM 36 cable..

Are you sure your built-in traffic receiver will work properly without the Garmin power cord? It is my understanding that the nuvi's with a built in traffic receiver require the Garmin TA20 power cable because it contains the antenna for the internal traffic receiver.

I don't have any first hand experience with these models ... just going by what I have read elsewhere.

As far as I can tell, yes.

1. The traffic menu is fully configurable with the regular USB cable.
    2. The traffic indicator goes through the stage of "Receiving Traffic" before saying "Traffic is up-to-date."
    3. On my drive home yesterday, I was getting alerts of upcoming delays as well as "assurances" that I was on the fastest route already.

Tonight, I will drive home with the TA20 connected and see if I receive alerts any faster, even though what I experienced yesterday wasn't too far off the speed of alerts of my 2555LMT with the GTM 36.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Might be related to how close you are to a station. The EU models have always included separate FM antennas. The US models have not. This was with the old TMC/RDS FM system though. Not sure about the new HD system. But I believe EU FM radio stations are not allowed to use as much power as US stations.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited December 2014
    EU stations are far more concentrated than US ones, so Boyd is correct in that they are power limited to avoid interference. While the older 'analogue' traffic systems had additional antennas the latest digital ones don't, the only antenna on my 2508LMT-D is the TA20 power cable. I suspect as DAB frequencies are far higher there is more bandwidth so stations don't need to worry so much about interference. In any case this would seem to indicate the need for the correct cable:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={1523cad0-34d1-11de-76c5-000000000000}
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Of course you could always use the smartphone link app for traffic if you have a compatible phone. I can't get any broadcast traffic in my area, and it always surprises me how poor the coverage is on major roads (like the NJ Turnpike) as soon as you get away from a major metro area. But you can get cell service in most of these areas with no problem.

Unfortunately both my nuvis are only compatible with the Android app and I have an iPhone. But I am not much of a fan of any form of traffic service...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I think the new digital traffic receivers fall back to regular TMC/RDS mode if they can't get a good HD signal. And I wouldn't be surprised if that happens a lot here in the US unless you always drive in a heavily populated area...