This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Post your New Years predictions / wish lists

Boyd 1966 Points
edited December 2014 in GPS Discussions
I miss Rich's annual predictions at GPSTrackLog, so let's make our own! I'll stick to Garmin, but please post you own for any platform.

Garmin usually announces products at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which is coming in just a few weeks. In January 2014 they introduced the Nuvi 2798, Nuvi Essential series, GPSMap 64 series and a few fitness products.

In January 2013 they brought us the Nuvi 3597, Oregon 600 series and several other products.

This year? I have no idea what to expect. Still happy with my Montana 600 so I doubt any new handhelds will interest me. For a wishlist, I'd like an automotive device with a big screen (7" ?) running advanced software like the Montana or Oregon. If they just put the Android based Monterra software on a tablet I'd be interested. :)

So what do you expect from Garmin at CES?

Comments

• Tim 1474 Points
    I expect the remaining GPS hardware companies will place more emphasis on wearables. Not only for fitness, but perhaps with some basic navigation component. We will see more announcements from GPS companies regarding partnerships with automotive companies-- but like in the past those products will largely disappear after the press release.

Models with "lifetime" map updates and traffic will be pushed even lower in the product lineups as manufacturers consolidate the total number of dedicated PND models they sell.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    How about the Nuvi Prestige series? In 2012 there were two 4" models (3450, 3490) and two 5" models (3550, 3590). In 2013 it dropped to only one 5" model (3597). There were no new Prestige models in 2014. Perhaps they are gone forever?….
  • alanb 533 Points
    edited December 2014
    I suspect that is the trend, and it is a real shame because the 3597 is one of Garmin's real winners in my book. It has some real innovations like the magnetic mount, and didn't have many software issues like many past models did when they were introduced. I am glad I bought the 3597, and I suspect it will be my last dedicated PND. I am not a "smart phone" candidate because I don't really need the phone functions. But it is obvious that is the way things are going ... so someday, I will just give in I suppose (if I live that long :) ).

I hate it that I am beginning to sound like an "old fogey", but I guess that is what I am.
  • I'm totally with Boyd. Give me a Nuvi with a 7" screen and with all the functionality of my Montana and I will be a happy camper!
  • privet01 205 Points
    edited December 2014
    My GPS wish for the New Year would be not for the device itself, but for computer software. Software that lets me use my tablet or laptop as an endpoint to display useful information. I believe the communication standards among various marine devices are already sufficient for most needs, NEMA, SeaTalk and others. Just need someone with the vision and expertise to code it. Business economics will likely require that this person be passionate about sailing and the code they are writing as the monetary return probably wouldn't be worth the effort. But hey what's wrong with wishing? :) :)

I sail for personal pleasure, and have cruised many trips between 600 to 2000 nautical miles in length. It would be nice be able to integrate information from GPS, radar, mms, ais, sonar, knot log, windex, anemometer and a plethora of other electronics into a program that can reside on a tablet or laptop. Wireless will be great but certainly there needs to be a wired option too. Sure you can do this by sending this data to your Garmin device, RayMarine or what ever you have, but then you are stuck with the small display of those devices unless you have the big bucks to shell out for their larger units.

And in the grand scheme of all GPS electronics, I would like to see them become more of a component to a larger solutions. Similar to the old component stereo systems of my youth that brought me such wonderful sounding music from various sources.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited December 2014
    I don't know anything about marine devices or if these would fulfill any of your wishes. But Garmin already has two marine apps running on tablets that communicate with their devices:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-go/apps/garmin-helm-/prod152837.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-water-maps/on-the-water-apps/bluechart-mobile/prod114005.html

• privet01 205 Points
    Durn.... ask and you shall receive! Well kinda sorta...... evidently it has been out over a year. Probably is pretty close to what I imagine, except I'd have to buy a new GPS device. And I already have a fairly new one.

Hard to find out any detailed info on it and there is no user manual available. It may be helpful, but ....it's limited to Garmin's vision of how the world works although I admit Garmin's view is pretty good, but new visions are needed even if it's just to re-invent the wheel. I'd have to hope that all the info from other devices that can be integrated into the Garmin GPS can be displayed with the app.

Wish there were also a PC/Mac or Linux version as I prefer a keyboard when safely below away from spray. And that multiple remotes can be connected to one GPS as I would want access to the data while off watch and below while the person on watch would want access and control from the helm. ( I do trips were we sail for three of four days continuously night and day )

The NEMA and seatalk standards I mentioned that many marine devices communicate to each other have been out for many years perhaps a couple decades. No ones taken an overall approach to amalgamating the info in software separate from the devices as far as I've seen, and likely it's the reward vs coding required. As a former programmer I know it's a large vision.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    I assume you're already aware of Homeport? They have charged for this in the past, but now it's free. Again, not sure if it meets your requirements.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/trip-planning/homeport-/prod64242.html

• privet01 205 Points
    edited December 2014
    I've known about Homeport for quite some years. Used it on a friends boat for one trip, but there are issues. Nor does it tie in all the other marine electronics. Garmin Helm so far is the most promising. I plan on trying it when I get time to go to the coast and sail, but that may be a week or two. Assuming of course I can borrow a gps from my friend that I think has one of the supported models.
  • werewolf 107 Points

I'm totally with Boyd. Give me a Nuvi with a 7" screen and with all the functionality of my Montana and I will be a happy camper!

I'm in the market for a new GPS, but I was under the impression that a seven inch screen model, while nice, is too big to fit in most vehicles (aside from 18 wheelers). Where would you put it without blocking out something?

• Boyd 1966 Points
    edited December 2014
    Works fine for me. Blocks the screen on the radio, but no big deal there because I have a separate XM radio in a dock mounted down lower. I always mount my GPS devices below windsheild level, so I can look at the road without having a distraction in view all the time. It's easy enough to glance down when needed.

I made my own very simple mount that fits into a convenient slot on the dashboard, the whole thing can be removed and stashed in just a few seconds. I drive a Volkswagen Tiguan. GPS is a Garmin Dezl 760 with my own custom map and dashboard.

• werewolf 107 Points
    Nice setup. It works for you, but it would block too much for me. I'll have to settle for a smaller size screen, like 5".
  • I am looking forward to a Nuvi 2689LMT whenever I can get the money saved up. I wish Garmin would add the ability to have a "Hybrid" view that shows satellite imagery on the Nuvi's. Maybe aa a future Smartphone app??
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited January 2015
    GPSAddict said:

I wish Garmin would add the ability to have a "Hybrid" view that shows satellite imagery on the Nuvi's.

I would be surprised to see that on the Nuvi. Garmin has kept a clear separation between the Nuvi and their advanced outdoor devices that can use raster imagery (such as satellite photos). But the new Zumo evidently has some raster display capabilities - see: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28886/new-5-zumo-has-some-interesting-features

Now I've been working for awhile to bring "pseudo satellite imagery" to the Nuvi. I used landcover, road and hydro data with colors sampled from aerial imagery to create a complex map that consists only of polygons. In the examples below, City Navigator provides routing while my map is displayed with 3d terrain on the Nuvi 3550 screen. There is much less detail than a real satellite image, but I'm already pushing the Nuvi to the limit of its capability.

• Tim 1474 Points
    Well, buried at the very bottom of the Garmin 2015 Lineup announcement is a Nuvi... Six "wearable" products followed by one GPS for the trucking industry followed by a lone consumer Nuvi with optional backup camera.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited January 2015
    Tim said:

I expect the remaining GPS hardware companies will place more emphasis on wearables.

Looks like Tim was right. Garmin has just announced 3 new GPS watches. I think the most interesting is the Epix. Looks like they have basically packaged one of their handheld devices in a watch form factor.

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/ces/introducing-garmin-epix-first-its-kind-hands-free-navigation-device

Introducing Garmin® epix™: The First-of-its-Kind Hands-free Navigation Device

Garmin International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), today announced epix, the first-of-its-kind, rugged GPS mapping watch for outdoor enthusiasts who are looking for a hands-free navigator. Featuring a 1.4” high-resolution color touchscreen, epix comes preloaded with a worldwide shaded relief basemap, a free 1-year subscription to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, plus 8 GB of built-in memory for additional maps. Epix boasts an omni-directional EXO™ steel antenna with GPS and GLONASS support for a quick fix and accurate position, as well as traditional altimeter/barometer/compass functionality. Epix is also compatible with ANT+ sensors like heart rate monitors and Tempe™ temperature sensor for even more data. Additionally, epix supports the Connect IQ™ store for customization and smartwatch capabilities. With a full menu of outdoor and navigation features, epix allows users to not only track where they’ve been, but plan for what’s ahead, right from their wrist.

Here is info on the other two devices:

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/ces/introducing-vivoactive-–-gps-smartwatch-active-lifestyle-garmin

Introducing vívoactive™ – a GPS Smartwatch for the Active Lifestyle from Garmin

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/ces/introducing-fenix-3-next-smart-multisport-gps-watch-garmin

Introducing fēnix® 3: The Next Smart Multisport GPS Watch from Garmin
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited January 2015
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited January 2015
    Here's the product page for the epix. It's cool, but looking at topo maps on a 205x148 pixel screen doesn't sound like something I would want to do… ;)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/epix-/prod146065.html

• Tim 1474 Points
    Consumer PND market is basically dead.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    No doubt you're right. But I wish Garmin would realize that and come out with some apps that aren't crippled like their current offerings….