This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

HP iPAQ GPS units [HP]

Comments

• Did you lay that trap on purpose! :twisted:

Oh, incidentally, I don't know for how long the $199 deal was on, but it's off now.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Oh, incidentally, I don't know for how long the $199 deal was on, but it's off now.
    I still see it..... :?
  • The [

I know I haven't posted my review of it yet... but my five second review is as follows... if you want something you can take out of the box, put in the car, turn on, and go... you might want to look elsewhere. If you want something with an amazing feature set that works very well, is extremely customizable, and can live with the fact that the voice/speaker is fairly poor and don't mind spending some quality time with the manual... go get it and you probably won't be disappointed. For a GPS enthusiast or someone who loves to tinker around this thing is amazing.
    Wow ...how difficult is it to learn? I find it hard to understand with what is available today that HP would build in so much confusion and direction knowing that most of the consumers are not interested in manuals? :roll:
  • Oh, incidentally, I don't know for how long the $199 deal was on, but it's off now.

I still see it..... :?
    Yeah, it's been ON and OFF all morning it seems.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Yeah, I see $319 now, but it was definitely $199 earlier. Maybe check again later!
  • Yeah, I see $319 now, but it was definitely $199 earlier. Maybe check again later!
    I nailed it at that price...will deal with the fallout later. LoL
  • Tim 1467 Points
    LOL. Good luck with that. :)
  • Uncle Ben 0 Points
    edited February 2008
    @Thundercraft: Well, Tim may have overstated the learning curve a little, for emphasis sake, the same as I did in other posts of mine. When you talk about 'confusion and direction', again, I think that might be a little over the top.

Let's have a reality check here, and perhaps Tim can chime in. For the experienced user, the 310 will be a piece of cake and like our in-house guru, he/she won't need to refer to the manual at all. But for the non-expert, or for the one who doesn't have that much experience with GPS devices or for someonoe who only used Garmin's 2xx or 3xx, the 310 may be a rude awakening! But probably not much more so than going to a TT720/920. And yes, I had to use the manual ... but on e you learn the intricacies of its GUI and all the functionality and flexibility that's built into it, it's fine, you're off to the races and never have to refere to the manual again.

HTH.

Cheers!
  • But for the non-expert, or for the one who doesn't have that much experience with GPS devices or for someone who only used Garmin's 2xx or 3xx, the 310 may be a rude awakening! But probably not much more so than going to a TT720/920.
    HTH.
    Went to Future Shop and had a look at this PND. It was on display with other units, TT720, Garmin 660, Garmin 760, Navigon 7100 etc. I can tell you the HP just stood out from the crowd here. The resolution and detail on the creen was amazing! :D I played with the unit for a brief period and compared it to the TT720 & Garmin 660. There is no comparison here in regards to detail and screen resolution, the HP wins hands down. The POI database is fantastic!! The menus took some time to figure out but did not seem that big of a problem. As Tim indicated it is not an out of the box GPS.
    One thing I did notice was that it was the only unit that could acquire a satellite signal in the store? I punched in my home address and it took no time at all to calculate the directions to that location.
    Waiting for Tim to finish his review to see just what he has to say about it. To date he has had some pretty exclamatory "Wows" & "Amazing" comments so it does look promising. :!:

Aslo like the idea of the dedicated website for downloads etc. Are TT and HP the only mfgs that have this added feature?

Waiting for the review,

Take care.
  • You know, what's most unfortuante is the fact that HP first rushed to market with a defective batch. From what I've read in other forums, there were very REAL issues with the initial batch of 310 to hit the USA store shelves. And of course what followed was a flurry of bad, very bad reviews. I think that the 310 will eventually regain its due place in the sunshine, but had it not been for this premature issue of faulty units, the HP would be so much further ahead, I think.

I know of one user in particular with whom I corresponded by email who had purchased a dozen of these iPAQS for his crew of claim adjusters and they all had to be returned to HP - but guess what, the units that came back has a different SKU number, different model #'s - and those turned out to be problem free.

Any way, glad to hear about your first impressions. Good luck with your decision, whatever that may be.

Cheers!
  • Tim 1467 Points
    The more features and functions a device has... the steeper the learning curve will be. This device has tons of features and functions, so by its nature it will be challenging and frustrating at times to get used to. With most devices that have an interface I've never seen before there are some frustrating times trying to find where certain functions are. With the HP there are more functions than most, so there are more things to look through before you find what you are looking for.

Getting used to where everything was and finding all of the settings was frustrating... I'm not sure how they would have made it much easier though. And after finding where all of the settings and configuration options are I'm left with a GPS that more closely matches my ideal design over most anything else on the market.
  • The $199 HP iPAQ 310 deal is back on right now. I know this won't be there tomorrow and it might only last a couple hours today... so if you're interested... get it while the getting is good!

I know I haven't posted my review of it yet... but my five second review is as follows... if you want something you can take out of the box, put in the car, turn on, and go... you might want to look elsewhere. If you want something with an amazing feature set that works very well, is extremely customizable, and can live with the fact that the voice/speaker is fairly poor and don't mind spending some quality time with the manual... go get it and you probably won't be disappointed. For a GPS enthusiast or someone who loves to tinker around this thing is amazing.
    It's now $319.00 there..............

However if you go to Amazon's source you can save another $20 and shipping... http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=HPIPAQ310
  • In case anyone is interested outside USA and Canada, here are the various versions of this GPS:

310=US
    312=Australia, Asia
    314=Western Europe
    316=Eastern Europe
    318=Brazil

Cheers!
  • I'm not sure how they would have made it much easier though. And after finding where all of the settings and configuration options are I'm left with a GPS that more closely matches my ideal design over most anything else on the market.
    Hey Tim for someone that has the knowledge you do about these devices and the fact that you are so unbiased in all of your statements re PND's this is quite a statement! I can just picture all of the TT,Garmin etc owners from this forum stampeding to their local outlet to pick one of these up! :lol:
    I can tell you are really impressed with this unit? Tell us more please. When will you be posting the review :?:
  • The more features and functions a device has... the steeper the learning curve will be. This device has tons of features and functions, so by its nature it will be challenging and frustrating at times to get used to. With most devices that have an interface I've never seen before there are some frustrating times trying to find where certain functions are. With the HP there are more functions than most, so there are more things to look through before you find what you are looking for.

Getting used to where everything was and finding all of the settings was frustrating... I'm not sure how they would have made it much easier though. And after finding where all of the settings and configuration options are I'm left with a GPS that more closely matches my ideal design over most anything else on the market.
    Wow! I have to tell you, I had a lot of apprehension about your take on this and I can't tell you how relieved I am - not for HP's sake, for me - I've come on record many times chanting the merits of this device, taking some beating from certain cult members from time to time ... Well I'm getting up early tomorrow morning to help Bea peel some apples .... :lol:
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Oh yeah, the HP is pretty darn impressive and I've had a ball with it. It certainly won't appeal to everyone though and perhaps not even most. It is a pretty complex device. But If I were to take say the things I like about the TomTom and the things I like about the Garmin... I have that in the HP.

I'm not sure I'd give it a widespread thumbs up to everyone though. Most people don't want/need tons of customizations. But if you want to spend some time building up a GPS that does what you want it to and how you want to (and most people don't want to spend that time) then the HP is pretty darn sweet.

I hope to get the full review out in the next couple of days, although I've got a 500+ mile trip planned for the next few days and might take it for a few more spins on that trip.

They really do need to fix that speaker/voice issue though...
  • Tim 1467 Points

• I know of one user in particular with whom I corresponded by email who had purchased a dozen of these iPAQS for his crew of claim adjusters and they all had to be returned to HP - but guess what, the units that came back has a different SKU number, different model #'s - and those turned out to be problem free.
    By the way Uncle Ben now that they have the new units with the correct SKU# how are they performing for this group?
  • Hey Tim...that picture is awesome! The 3d graphics are great!

Can't wait to hear your final comments. This thread is really growing and there is a lot of interest here. I am sure that the sound problem could be fixed through a firmware update no? It would not be the first time that this type of repair was made. I am sure that the speaker is fine the only problem here may have originated at the original recording thus eliminating the fix?
  • I'm not sure how they would have made it much easier though. And after finding where all of the settings and configuration options are I'm left with a GPS that more closely matches my ideal design over most anything else on the market.

Hey Tim for someone that has the knowledge you do about these devices and the fact that you are so unbiased in all of your statements re PND's this is quite a statement! I can just picture all of the TT,Garmin etc owners from this forum stampeding to their local outlet to pick one of these up! :lol:
    I can tell you are really impressed with this unit? Tell us more please. When will you be posting the review :?:
    Too late...I got the last $199 deal. hehehehehe
  • [

Wow! I have to tell you, I had a lot of apprehension about your take on this and I can't tell you how relieved I am - not for HP's sake, for me - I've come on record many times chanting the merits of this device, taking some beating from certain cult members from time to time ... Well I'm getting up early tomorrow morning to help Bea peel some apples .... :lol:
    Never from this one...I am a long time HP cultist. LOL
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    The following is a fairly long user review of the HP310, but appears fairly thorough-

Reviewed By ubiquityman

Perspective:
    This is the 5th GPS software I've owned:
    Pharos, Mapopolis, iGuidance (V1,2,3, and 4), Navigon, HP iPaq (iGo)
    (plus Streets & Trips which I have used for navigation with a laptop while I was in Europe.) I classify myself as very tech/computer savvy.

After trying the Navigon 2100 vs. HP iPaq 310, I thought the Navigon was useful, but the HP iPaq just WOWs. If they were ice cream flavors, the Navigon would be vanilla, but the the iPaq would be the fancy sundae treat from Dairy Queen.

For a while there I was thinking of installing iGuidance4 on my iPaq 310, but now I don't see any reason to. After using it for a while, I've found I like the iPaq package a much better solution for my needs!

Overall, I've found the iPaq to be vastly superior to the Navigon in just about every aspect and well worth the extra cost.

I will add that some users have had lockups with their iPaqs which appear to be (bad) hardware related, with some people having their problems resolved when the units were replaced.

Also, HP has released a firmware update which is available when you install the Content Manager software to download and install the update on the iPaq. (It's not available as a direct web download. Must use Content Manager in order to get it.)

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and with all the tweaks and playing around with it, I've not had it lock up even once. I did create a cross country route from Chicago to Vancouver, Canada and the iPaq handled that just fine. The routing calculation took about 30s was reasonably fast compared to other GPSs. After that, it did bog down a little bit, I suspect because I was inside and the GPS position was shifting around causing recalculations every so often, but it never hung.

iPaq Pros:
    ----------
    "Wow" Features: (thing that make me go, "dang! that's good")
    GPS Software
    - When configured for 2D display, as you get close to the turn, the software zooms in and switches to 3D mode with heading up. After the turn, the software zooms back out to 2D mode with North up. (That's exactly the way I'd like it to work.)
    - parts of the map is 3D!! I'm not talking about the 3D buildings, but the terrain. I was driving over a very short bridge the other day, but the screen showed the bridge was curved and peaked at the top and not a flat bridge. Also I could see the hills in the background. At first, I thought maybe it was just "artificial" landscape, but as I drove around town, it seemed accurate, then when I zoomed out, I realized that, yes, it does (or at least appears to) have 3D or relief information. When in day mode, the map shows the terrain as a relief type map would.
    - You can configure how close you want to be to the next turn before the software switches to 3D.
    - 12Million POIs. Lot and lot of POIs and very well categorized too. POIs include phone numbers.
    - Push in rotary knob on the side is a nice touch. To adjust 3D tilt of the map, just turn the knob. To adjust volume, push (click) the knob in first, then turn the knob. To adjust brightness, double click, then turn the knob. (Hold down knob for additional functions)
    - I like how the POIs markers are transparent on the map.

Other Pros:
    - GUI for finding POIs around a point on the map is very easy to use: Click on a point on the map, hit the location button, then POIs: Voila, a POI list around the point.
    - POI map display had a "distance" setting for each of the categories and some of the subcategories. This lets the system determine how close to the route the POI must be before it shows up.
    - for a 800x480 resolution screen updates are fast. (It's 5x the amount of information compared to screens that are 320x240)
    - MANY choices for languages and accents. (not quite 100, but just for English alone, I counted 10 different selections of accents/genders/styles. Not all voices have text-to-spech though.)
    - dynamic volume adjustment (based on speed) is customizable for min and max speed
    - "economical" driving mode which appears to be "lowest fuel cost"
    - different routing options based on car, bicycle, truck, bus or taxi
    - trips can be planned on the PC, picking restaurants, hotels, etc, (requires online connection which uses google maps data) then downloaded to the GPS.
    - Outlook contacts can be sync'd (uploaded) to the GPS (but this has a few quirks)
    - Full screen mode which stretches the map so it goes into the menu and status bar areas, (like iGuidance).
    - good sensitivity and fast time to fix (I can get a signal inside the house pretty easily)
    - many software extras: music player, video player, games
    - compatible with SDHC cards
    - easy to install additional software and get ActiveSync working.
    - Internal and external flash shows up as Mass Storage Media in windows
    - Content manager makes it very easy to update software and select what software components (maps, voices, information) the user wants installed
    - recalculations are very fast
    - predictive text entry

Hardware
    - 800x480 screen is FABULOUS and very bright
    - decent speaker
    - solid feel
    - mount is easy to get GPS in and out of and feel secure
    - has Bluetooth
    - 600Mhz processor with DSP

iPaq Cons:
    - can't click on POIs (to bring up details) in map mode, only in list mode can they be selected
    - 3D map view zoom level cannot be changed, only tilt perspective can be changed. (Zoom level can be changed in 2D mode though.)
    - day view is great, but night view is quite bland.
    - Contact lookup could use more artificial intelligence. (state names need to be typed out in full and street NAMES cannot be abbreviated in any way while street TYPES can, but they must not have periods at the end of the abbreviation.)
    - power button logic is poor: short press on, and long press off. It should be the other way around or at least require holding down the button to turn it on.
    - Although I haven't see one of these yet for any GPS except the Michelin X970, It would be nice if there was a drop in powered dock to use in the car. I don't like having to plug in the power adapter into the side of the iPaq when I use the unit in the car.

As for some things that others have commented on, I do agree with some, but others may be misinformed or just completely wrong on some of the technical points.

1. Some people have said the iPaq can't show a complete route. This is completely wrong. It is very easy to show the complete route on the iPaq:
    (a) view route graphically on map: Click on the [2d] screen soft menu.
    Rotate the wheel to zoom out as far as you need in order to see the entire route. I routed Chicago to Vancouver. I could get the entire route on the screen. I supposed if you routed coast to coast, there is a possibility that you won't be able to see the entire map of the US on one screen, but you would see at least 3000-4000 miles. Then a click-and-drag can move the map over.
    (b) view route in text: Click on Route->Details and scroll through the turn by turn directions.

2. Route calculations.
    I've not seen any issues yet. No wacky routes, no driving off bridges, etc, but I did change the default routing method to Economy and that is all I have been using. I don't have any software that I think routes better. I think Streets & Trips and iGuidance are both comparable in routing to the iPaq.

3. Sound:
    Yes, I've heard better sound from AIOs, but if you compare the iPaq to the Navigon 2100, the iPaq is just much better. If I compare my iPaq to my Dell Axim X50v, the iPaq sounds louder. If I compare my iPaq to my Dell Axim docked in the iTrex holder with external amplified speaker, the iTrex holder sounds much better. The speaker on the back of the iPaq isn't that big so it is a bit tinny but at least I can hear it over road noise whereas the Navigon was extremely tinny and I couldn't always hear it. Both Navigon and iPaq get crackly at full volume, but Navigon is much worse. I guess it's all relative on what you are comparing the sound to. In terms of voices sounding computer like, I disagree the iPaq is any different than other TTS systems I've heard. I do appreciate the configurability of languages/voices/accents. I think it's a lot better than the iGudiance "young lady (digitized), old hag (TTS)", which although comical is somewhat distracting. I do wish they would have put the speaker so it faces the front. HP and Navigon both put the speaker so it faces the rear of the screen.

This is a great GPS! I highly recommend it.
    :

• I know of one user in particular with whom I corresponded by email who had purchased a dozen of these iPAQS for his crew of claim adjusters and they all had to be returned to HP - but guess what, the units that came back has a different SKU number, different model #'s - and those turned out to be problem free.

By the way Uncle Ben now that they have the new units with the correct SKU# how are they performing for this group?
    Sorry for the delay, just saw your post. The new units performed well, they didn't keep them all - some folks who were already accustomed to the Garmin interface insisted on Garmin's. No TomTom - sorry Infama! :lol:

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • Oh yeah, the HP is pretty darn impressive and I've had a ball with it. It certainly won't appeal to everyone though and perhaps not even most. It is a pretty complex device. But If I were to take say the things I like about the TomTom and the things I like about the Garmin... I have that in the HP.

I'm not sure I'd give it a widespread thumbs up to everyone though. Most people don't want/need tons of customizations. But if you want to spend some time building up a GPS that does what you want it to and how you want to (and most people don't want to spend that time) then the HP is pretty darn sweet.

I hope to get the full review out in the next couple of days, although I've got a 500+ mile trip planned for the next few days and might take it for a few more spins on that trip.

They really do need to fix that speaker/voice issue though...

And that's why some user reviews are very very negative, while others are so enthusiastic about it. Yes, the speaker issue - from what I undersrtand, it's not the speaker per se that's at the root cause here but the recording level of the voices, as some folks were able to tweak the device and increase the TTS voices by an estimated 20%. I'd rather wait for the firmware fix, which I was told would be available towards the end of this month.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!

Sorry for the delay, just saw your post. The new units performed well, they didn't keep them all - some folks who were already accustomed to the Garmin interface insisted on Garmin's. No TomTom - sorry Infama! :lol:

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
    For me, that is the worst thning about Garmin...the interface! Dont like it one bit...not sure why.
  • @Infama - Perhaps a wrong choice of words on my part ... people who were already familiar with the Garmin interface preferred to stay with it, found it simpler to use than the 310; frankly, I can't say I blame them, the 310 is NOT a simple machine to learn.

• ubiquityman had no problem learning how to use it? How tough can it be?

Tim I agree with infama...please hurry as we are all waiting to read your review. Fireworks are ready and the brass band has been put on alert!! :lol:

Aunt Bea has been peeling apples for days now!! :D
  • @Thundercraft: "How tough can it be? " You want one so bad you already dream about it, you go to bed at night thinking about it, you wake up in the morning thinking about it, rush to your PC to see if TIM landed his review; instead of calling your wife Juliet you call her Hewlett! For crying out loud, haven't you sufferred enough! Get one, muster all your thunder, and get one! :lol:

Tough enough to want to return that piece of sh... back to the store I don't know how many times during the first week, is that tough enough? But hey, that's me ... for the more experienced user, perhaps this would be a piece of case or a slice of Bea's apple pie ...

I don't want to overdo this issue - let's just say that this is NOT an easy device to learn ... but once you learn it, the rewards are plentiful.

Cheers!
  • Here's another unfavorable review of the iPAQ:

http://computershopper.com/reviews/ipaq-travel-companion-310-gps-review

I won't comment on it, other than to say that I like mine. As I said in other posts, some love it with a passion, others hate it with as much passion. C'est la vie!

Cheers!
  • Tim 1467 Points
    At long last, our HP iPAQ 310 Review.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Another, interesting review. :roll:
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Shows what you've been emphasizing, Tim. Unless you have the time and patience to work with and learn it, don't buy it. The reviewer obviously didn't.
  • Was up at Future Shop yesterday and I spoke with one of the staff members there and I asked how the sale of the HP's were going. He indicated that for every three that they sell they get one back for refund. The main problem seems to be freeze up. I asked if they had tried to reset and he indicated that they did but to no avail.
    As I posted in the forum earlier my next door neighbor just purchased one of these and he loved it. We took it out to test when purchased and it worked great! However last week he had to go to Sudbury and he set the trip on the Ipaq. Just east of the city they have built a new four lane heading east. Of course this is not on the map and the HP kept telling him to "Turn Around". The unit showed he was driving in the middle of a field which is he was due to map not showing new highway. The unit kept telling him to turn around. When he did not turn the unit kept trying to recalculate. He indicated that with no other options available at that point the unit just froze up. When he reached the old highway he stopped and tried to reset the unit. It would not work. The screen just showed the arrow in the middle of a large field and no matter what he did it would not change.
    He returned the unit for a refund as he was not confident in getting another. He also has a Garmin 660 and he has had no problems to date.
    Looks kike there could be a number of defective units still in the mix!
  • I'm through playing the defendor of the 310, so I'll let someone else chime in on this one.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    While you can't put the missing map on the road, there are a few settings that can minimize the annoyance when the GPS thinks you are driving off-road. Not all of these would necessarily apply to that exact scenario, but many would.

There is a setting where you can tell it to avoid giving you "u-turns".

There is a setting where you can "keep position on road".

There is a setting where you can turn on or off automatic route recalculation.

It would have been interesting to see how those settings were configured. Of course that doesn't address the freezing, and it seems as though there are enough people reporting freezing that it isn't a "fluke". My 310 was recently purchased and therefore maybe the problem has been addressed. But mine hasn't frozen once.
  • There is a setting where you can tell it to avoid giving you "u-turns".
    There is a setting where you can "keep position on road".

There is a setting where you can turn on or off automatic route recalculation.

It would have been interesting to see how those settings were configured. Of course that doesn't address the freezing, and it seems as though there are enough people reporting freezing that it isn't a "fluke". My 310 was recently purchased and therefore maybe the problem has been addressed. But mine hasn't frozen once.
    I spoke with him and he indicated that none of these settings were set to "off". He felt they were needed in the event of a wrong turn etc.? He said that the unit just kept trying to recalculate as he was driving on this new section of highway and then it just gave up and froze. Sound like the software just gave up trying to get him back on track.
    Another friend has a TTOne 3rd and when in this area it too keeps saying "turn around" and when he does not it keeps trying to recalculate but when he gets back on the old section of the four lane it just then picks up the calculated route. :?:
  • Tim 1467 Points
    There certainly could be an issue there, no doubt about that. I haven't played with the settings extensively in an off road type situation.

• Another friend has a TTOne 3rd and when in this area it too keeps saying "turn around" and when he does not it keeps trying to recalculate but when he gets back on the old section of the four lane it just then picks up the calculated route. :?:
    What could be done in this situation in regards to "Mapshare" on the TT? I know you cannot change the mapping situation but is there anything other than advising TT through MS of the new road to avoid this situation when traveling this new road?
  • Tim 1467 Points
    What could be done in this situation in regards to "Mapshare" on the TT?
    Nothing really in that instance. You can report the new road but you can't directly add it to your device.
  • Thanks Tim!
  • OK, I wanted to stay out of it, but here's my take, couldn't resist.

Of course the TT did the same thing and I submit to you that every other GPS device would do the exact same thing. The behaviour displayed by the 310 is typical of any GPS device, unless you happen to have one where the maps include the newly constructed road.

If the 310 froze, it is probably because your neighbour tapped the screen repeatedly too many times, in his attempts to get the cursor off the 'empty field.' If the road isn't on the map, what else would you expect to see other than an empty field. All he had to do is press the reset button, he would have been back exactly where he was before the freeze, with the cursor in the empty field, within seconds. Then turn the volume down, continue to travel on the newly constructed highway until he reached a mapped road and then turn the volume back on again.

What I just explained here, and Tim please correct me if I'm wrong, is not typical of the 310 but typical of any automotive GPS in similar circumstances.

Cheers!
  • Additionally, from what I read, his friend should have done a hard reset by removing and replacing the battery. The unit would not have needed to be traded in then.
  • Well, I have had mine since Nov 22 2007 and never had to do a hard reset.

Sorry, Thundercraft, just realized from reading Infama's post that your friend did indeed try to soft-reset it and it didn't work. The only occasion I heard that happen is from folks who added 3rd party applications to their device - do you know if your friend added anything to it (like games and other aplets.)

Infama - Twice in the same day! Humm!
  • OK, I wanted to stay out of it, but here's my take, couldn't resist.

Of course the TT did the same thing and I submit to you that every other GPS device would do the exact same thing. The behaviour displayed by the 310 is typical of any GPS device, unless you happen to have one where the maps include the newly constructed road.

If the 310 froze, it is probably because your neighbour tapped the screen repeatedly too many times, in his attempts to get the cursor off the 'empty field.' If the road isn't on the map, what else would you expect to see other than an empty field. All he had to do is press the reset button, he would have been back exactly where he was before the freeze, with the cursor in the empty field, within seconds. Then turn the volume down, continue to travel on the newly constructed highway until he reached a mapped road and then turn the volume back on again.

What I just explained here, and Tim please correct me if I'm wrong, is not typical of the 310 but typical of any automotive GPS in similar circumstances.

Cheers!
    The statement re the fact that any GPS would show the same in regards to the cursor in the field is correct. However the point trying to be made was that the TT did not freeze up while trying to recalculate! It was also indicated that once off the new road he stopped and did a reset but to no avail the unit was still frozen. I asked him if he was continually touching the screen and he said "No I touched nothing!" Having been through this new road previously with his Garmin 660 he knew that the cursor would show him driving in an empty field because of the new road. However he felt that the software in the HP possibly had a melt down trying to recalculate the route with no available options in the area. He had no other explanation as to why this took place.
  • A meltdown ... no, no. I live in an empty field - i.e. a newly constructed street. So if that had anything to do with anything, then I would be experiencing this every single day.

OK - well, I don't know what happened. I ran out of possible causes. Even if he didn't have some of the settings properly set, none of that should cause the unit to permanently freeze, hence requiring a hard reset.

Sorry, that's all I got. :cry:
  • Hey Uncle Ben...I agree just one of those unfortunate things. Personally I felt he should have just got another one and gave it a try. These things are not perfect nor are they exempt from some very wierd calculations at times.

Take care. :)
  • Well, I have had mine since Nov 22 2007 and never had to do a hard reset.

Sorry, Thundercraft, just realized from reading Infama's post that your friend did indeed try to soft-reset it and it didn't work. The only occasion I heard that happen is from folks who added 3rd party applications to their device - do you know if your friend added anything to it (like games and other aplets.)

Infama - Twice in the same day! Humm!
    No he had not added any third party applications.
  • Uncle Ben 0 Points
    edited March 2008
    Additionally, from what I read, his friend should have done a hard reset by removing and replacing the battery. The unit would not have needed to be traded in then.
    Incidentally, there is no hard reset on this unit, hence that's why all my data was still there when I replaced the battery with a fresh one. This was confirmed in my chat session today with HP Support. The device recovery package is supposed to mimmick a hardware reset, but no ETA yet on that one.
  • infama 0 Points
    Additionally, from what I read, his friend should have done a hard reset by removing and replacing the battery. The unit would not have needed to be traded in then.

Incidentally, there is no hard reset on this unit, hence that's why all my data was still there when I replaced the battery with a fresh one. This was confirmed in my chat session today with HP Support. The device recovery package is supposed to mimmick a hardware reset, but not ETA yet on that one.
    Actually, its a medium hard reset... compared to just hitting the reset button (has solved hang up problems for a few people). The coin battery preserves the data.

The recovery pack is a ROM flash tool that burns the original factory data (registry and otherwise) back to the normally untouchable Read Only Memory. Apparently, if the ROM is not reset, the same compromised registry data gets reloaded after a restart.
  • Additionally, from what I read, his friend should have done a hard reset by removing and replacing the battery. The unit would not have needed to be traded in then.

Incidentally, there is no hard reset on this unit, hence that's why all my data was still there when I replaced the battery with a fresh one. This was confirmed in my chat session today with HP Support. The device recovery package is supposed to mimmick a hardware reset, but no ETA yet on that one.
    CORRECTION - there is a hard reset!