This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Will my Garmin Nuvi 1490 Traffic Receiver cable also work with my Garmin Nuvi 2797

I just bought a new Garmin Nuvi 2797 and would like to install it where I currently have a nuvi 1490. Since I had installed the Nuvi 1490 Traffic Receiver cable behind the trim in my car I would prefer not to redo that work if the Nuvi 1490 Traffic Receiver cable will also work fine with the Nuvi 2797.

Anyone know if this will be a problem?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• sussamb 791 Points
    It should be fine. Mine works with my wife's nuvi. The traffic subscription is linked to the cord and not the nuvi.
  • alanb 532 Points
    I believe the 2797 is one of the models that has a built in traffic receiver and uses the TA20 (antenna only) power cable. Look at the power cable that came with your 2797 and see if it is marked TA20.
  • sussamb 791 Points
    I think only the digital ones have 'built in' receivers, at least that's how it is in the UK.
  • alanb 532 Points
    You are probably right sussamb. There are a couple of users over on POI Factory that report that their US 2797LMT came with the TA20 power adapter, but I can't find any evidence elsewhere that the 2797 has a built in traffic reciever. Maybe jrprich9 will answer back and let us know which power adapter his 2797 has.

In any case, I am not sure what would happen if you used a traffic receiver power cord on a nuvi that has a built in traffic receiver. Does anyone know?
  • sussamb 791 Points
    edited January 2015
    Here https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2013-line/nuvi-2797lmt/prod112203.html under 'what's in the box' it says Lifetime traffic receiver/vehicle power cable so I suspect it's not built in. Where it is, it reads Lifetime traffic antenna/vehicle power cable.

As for the second question I don't know.
  • My Garmin refurbished US 2797LMT was packed with a Garmin GTM 36 power/Traffic cable that looks just like the one from my 1490. But I think the 1490s used a Garmin GTM 35 power/Traffic, but I can't verify without pulling several trim panels back off. The old 1490 does power the 2797 but not sure if it gets the same Traffic info as the new one.

Jim
  • alanb 532 Points
    In that case, it should work OK. Both receivers would use the TMC traffic broadcasts.
  • I
    alanb said:

In that case, it should work OK. Both receivers would use the TMC traffic broadcasts.

Yes, but why are there multiple versions then. There must be differences

• sussamb 791 Points
    edited January 2015
    I believe the 36 is simply an update 35, there is no difference in practice.

• alanb 532 Points
    edited January 2015
    They probably changed the design and some of the electronic components, but functionally I believe they are the same. You could test this ... sometime when you are receiving traffic info with your old receiver, temporarily swap to the new receiver and see if you get anything different on the traffic report. Note that you may get better reception with the power cable (antenna) exposed instead of tied up under the dash.