This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

HD Traffic for 3597LMTHD ..

Hello all.
I need some input about the traffic function on Nuvi 3597LMTHD .. how well it works .. Thinking to buy one ...?

Thank you .

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2015
    I think it is like all Garmin traffic services ... a mixed bag ranging from useless to helpful. I was quite impressed with the HD traffic on the 3597 when I was in Central FL. It seemed to be timely and accurate, although it always said "you are on the fastest route" when it reported an incident. So I never really tried to reroute. In other places, it has not been so impressive ... often indicating a traffic slowdown when everything is flowing normally. And where I live, there is no coverage, so I don't even use the traffic receiver (I use a less bulky power adapter and USB cable).
  • t923347 432 Points
    Alanb pretty much sums up my experience as well. Works pretty well the Phoenix area and around Seattle but really not particularly impressive in Vancouver BC. It is what it is and your likely not going to find an automotive GPS from any company that has any better (or worse) traffic service.
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    edited March 2015
    I took the plunge to buy one at Best buy "$40.00 cheaper than Amazon" .. and I live in CFL too ,
    hope it works good .

Thank you all .
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    Hello ..
    Just found out the 3597LMTHD does not have any basic app like my old 3490LMT .. such as world clock,picture viewer .. alarm ...!! ...
    It's a nüvi Prestige model..$320.00 .. WTH ...?? Garmin really go cheap on this one ..
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Probably because there is very little demand ....
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    Would be nice if we can watch video mp4 or something ... such a beautiful display .. garmin wasted ..
  • t923347 432 Points
    JimmyG said:

Hello ..
    Just found out the 3597LMTHD does not have any basic app like my old 3490LMT .. such as world clock,picture viewer .. alarm ...!! ...
    It's a nüvi Prestige model..$320.00 .. WTH ...?? Garmin really go cheap on this one ..

Doesn't your phone do all of those things? The 3597 is a "prestige" model GPS
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    Yes .. but it would be nice to do those on a bigger display ..

BTW .. I add 4GB mem.card in but garmin express did not recognize it ..."Format in NTFS" .
  • t923347 432 Points
    Format has to be FAT32.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You must format cards as FAT32

The Asian versions of many Nuvi models do have video players. I believe Garmin even runs Android on the same basic hardware. There used to be a simple trick to enable the video player on the 3590 IIRC, you just edited a file. But I think they removed this trick with a firmware update.

There's another site where users have installed foreign firmware on the Nuvi to enable video players and other features. This is tricky and can permanently disable the Nuvi if you don't do it correctly. Then, since it's an unauthorized hack, Garmin will not fix the device.

So we don't get into discussion of the techniques here. :)
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    edited March 2015
    Yup.. i got it .. just reformat back to fat32 .. I can see it now but can not do anything .try to load some picture but no way to see them ,,

And NO thank you very much , I would not like to hack it

Just wonder ... what's the hell Garmin thinking .. It's such a nive gps but can't have fun with it ..
    Have not done the road test yet ..
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    Darn ..just took a test drive .. it only gives one option on the display either time to arrive or miles left ...
    Garmin screwed it up big time .... why did they cut off a lot of good functions ....
    Damn it ... I have 3 weeks ... if Garmin don't come up a firmware to fix these ... i'm going to return it ..
    My OLD 3490LMT is way better ..
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited March 2015
    Maybe you should slow up a bit and have a look around this site. There is a very easy built in feature on the 3597 that lets you place all the same data on your map map display that you had with your old Nuvi.

Here is a good place to start http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28412/how-to-customize-the-dashboard-on-a-nuvi-3597
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    edited March 2015
    Did the firmware update... and set up all dash board .
    It looks kinda intrusive ... but NO complain here ... :)
    Garmin finally listened to customers ha ...!
    I now want to keep it .

Thank you t923347 .
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    JimmyG said:

My OLD 3490LMT is way better ..

The 3490 and 3590 support real custom dashboards, meaning that you have complete control over the appearance of the main screen. The 3597 does not support this level of customization. See:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/26442/x/p1/
    http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/
  • t923347 432 Points
    If someones wants to simply show the same information on the map screen of the 3597 (and other 2013 model Nuvi's) that their older models displayed, then Garmin has provided an easy to use facility within the devices software for accomplishing this.

IMHO even if Garmin provided a way to creating those real custom dashboards it would require a level of programming skills that many, perhaps most, users don't have or don't wish to learn. Granted there maybe ready to use dashboards like you have created, available to download, but they have a layout that the dashboard creator likes that may not meet the exact needs of any particular user. This again would require the skills to modify the downloaded dashboard to their liking.

Perhaps JimmyG would like to play with programming a custom dashboard for his 3490 but to speak to his direct concern about the 3597 it appears that he has now found a workable solution. ;)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I knew that would get a rise out of you. :D But I agree, custom dashboards are not for everyone.
  • t923347 432 Points
    :)>-
  • alanb 539 Points
    Not for everyone ... but it would have been nice if Garmin had kept the capability for those of us who like to tinker. The ability to change the 4 data fields on the 3597 sure helps tho, and is enough to keep me happy and not wanting to trade my 3597 for a 35x0 ... wouldn't want to give up shaping points and the magnetic mount! :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    True, the 3597 does have some unique features. I mean, the 3590 can't even erase a hotel room key! :))
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    Yes .. coming from Tomtom user for a long while I tend to set it just the way as clear as I can .. My "boss" :) ...sometimes borrow stuff without asking ..then complain why it's so hard to use .....!!!

Again ..Thank you all so much .
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2015
    Boyd said:

True, the 3597 does have some unique features. I mean, the 3590 can't even erase a hotel room key! :))

It's a "security feature" :) ... in case you need to disable your credit cards before they are stolen .... just try to do that with your 3550!
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    Well ... so far so good ... did a long drive yesterday around belt way ...
    traffic popped up 3 miles before congestion but I kept going to find out if it's true .. and yes it was ..
    I now know for sure it's the hell better than my 3490mlt ... i'm happy with the upgrade .
  • nuvifan 109 Points
    I've just ordered a Nuvi 2699 (which is virtually identical to the much more popular 2689). Is the above procedure for customizing a dashboard likely to work on the 26x9 series (link copied below, from March 8 post)?

[Maybe you should slow up a bit and have a look around this site. There is a very easy built in feature on the 3597 that lets you place all the same data on your map map display that you had with your old Nuvi.

Here is a good place to start http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28412/how-to-customize-the-dashboard-on-a-nuvi-3597 ]
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2015
    Since the 2699 is a 2014 model, I am guessing it does not have the custom dashboard feature as Boyd defines the term. It is probably more like the changing of specific data fields as described by t923347 for the 3597. But to be honest, I have never seen a 2699, so report back to us after you get it.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The only devices that are compatible with the links I posted above are the 2012 Nuvis. That would be the models here, with the exception of the 30, 40 and 50. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-c2012Line-p1.html

But to be more specific, if you want to use the tutorial and files that I provided in the tutorial, you will need a Nuvi 3450, 3490, 3550, 3590 or Dezl 760. All these models have high resolution screens and the files I created are specific to them.
  • JimmyG 11 Points
    I got it Boyd ... all good now

Thanks
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited March 2015
    JimmyG said:

I got it Boyd ... all good now

Actually my post was in response to @nuvifan who asked "Is the above procedure for customizing a dashboard likely to work on the 26x9 series". :)

But looking at it again, I see that "the above procedure" is ambiguous and could refer to either my post or @t923347….
  • nuvifan 109 Points
    Boyd,

I know that you have been thanked many, many times before in the Forums (including by myself over the past 6 years of GPS ownership), but this time you have outdone yourself: This is "nuvifan" reporting in, and I am thrilled to say that your detailed description for "Customizing Dashboard" DOES work on the Nuvi 2699. YEOW!

I have reset the Traffic Data bar (for the right side of the screen), and replaced the black "speedo" fields with my own custom choices, for both driving with and without a route. This is a big deal for someone coming from the Nuvi 3590 of the past 3 years, and will be enthusiastically used by myself and my wife in the coming years with this new model. By the way, it is my strong assumption that the "Customizing" will work on other 2014 models, and most especially with the sister models to my unit: 2638 and 2689.

The fact that this Customizing is available is just one more indictment of the exceptionally poor documentation offered by Garmin manuals: Grrr! Something as useful as what used to be known as "Dashboard" was seemingly lost in Garmin's release of the 2609 series (and almost led to "JimmyG," above) returning his new 3597), and I was similarly disappointed with my first introduction to my 2699. I also seem to recall previous criticism of the 3597 during the past year, for not having the Customization previously enjoyed in other older Nuvis. Well...No More!

Boyd: Is it possible for you to "spread the word" about Traffic Data Customization (complete with the same screenshots and described steps) even farther than beyond this thread, and another one in "the other forum?" I am wondering if this information deserves reposting in FAQ's, so that all new users of post-2013 Nuvis may benefit? (I almost did not buy the 2699, specifically because of that SUPPOSED shortcoming.)

[I am in only Day One with my 2699, and am pretty much thrilled so far...except for the very short 1 hour battery life outside the car...but a wall charger is on the way. I expect I will be posting an extended review after a 4,000 mile trip next month of extended use, but I already know that I like the overly chatty description of "upcoming turns," the easier to read larger screen text (a big deal for me), convenience of pressing on the three bars at lower right to access/cycle thru multiple screens and data, and apparently enlarged database with Foursquare built directly into the unit (and apart from the Smartphone capability). I anticipate finding many more Pros than Cons! So far, my only other strong dislike is the power connection into the unit back AND the mount itself (trying to affix the Nuvi onto the mount, blindly by feel, every time is a PITA.]

Thanks to JimmyG for originating this thread and Boyd for the discussion and link to Customizing Dashboard. It is quite likely that I would have NEVER even accidentally encountered the customizing of the Traffic Data screen. One more huzzah to this and "other" forums for teaching me most of what I know about Nuvis...NO THANKS to Garmin!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    nuvifan said:

I am thrilled to say that your detailed description for "Customizing Dashboard" DOES work on the Nuvi 2699. YEOW!

Thanks for the kind words… but I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that the 2699 supports custom dashboards (.dshb files) as described in my tutorial here? http://www.gpsreview.net/creating-custom-dashboards-for-your-nuvi/

If so, that is a real revelation to me. I thought they were only available on the 2012 models. Can you post a screenshot? From what you have said, it sounds more like you're talking about the "customization" in this thread, which was posted by @t923347 and not me. :) http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28412/how-to-customize-the-dashboard-on-a-nuvi-3597

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited March 2015
    nuvifan said:

I have reset the Traffic Data bar (for the right side of the screen), and replaced the black "speedo" fields with my own custom choices, for both driving with and without a route. This is a big deal for someone coming from the Nuvi 3590 of the past 3 years, and will be enthusiastically used by myself and my wife in the coming years with this new model. By the way, it is my strong assumption that the "Customizing" will work on other 2014 models, and most especially with the sister models to my unit: 2638 and 2689.

The fact that this Customizing is available is just one more indictment of the exceptionally poor documentation offered by Garmin manuals: Grrr!

This has been known about for a while now, and is similar to what is available on older models like the 13xx/14xx series (I have 2 of them). Garmin toyed with 'dashboards' as described by Boyd on the 2012 models but then returned to give the options of data fields at the right hand side of the screen from 2013 onwards. The customisation is explained in the manual (on page 5) for my 2508 (a 2013 model) and also I suspect for your 2699, although I haven't checked.

(have now done so, it's on page 6 of your manual)

• nuvifan 109 Points
    Whoops...I've got to apologize Big Time to screen name t923347, who was the true ORIGINATING POSTER about the "How to customize the dashboard on a Nuvi 3597" (posted October 2013, in this forum). I saw Boyd;s name later in that post, and just missed the fact that the Customizing details are the work of t923347.

[Boyd: I only JUST SAW YOUR described tutorial...but that is NOT what I used. I truly apologize for my preceding poor reference to "Customizing," by which I meant the one by t923347. I am so ignorant!]

Regardless of my incorrect attribution, my Nuvi 2699 is now set up to display Traffic Data on the right side of the screen, EXACTLY at depicted in the above originating thread: There are 3 images shown with the "How To" discussion (two at the very end of the thread). Sorry, but I don't happen to have any screenshots (and not sure I would ever be able to copy and replicate them here). I do admit that I set up my Nuvi 2699 pseudo-dashboard this AM, AFTER my first "test drive," but have since turned the Nuvi on and off, flipped back and forth between different displays on the right side (while in my living room), but fully expect that they will function properly when I get back behind the wheel (perhaps after watching two days of basketball this weekend).

However, if you think it necessary, I would take the screenshots next week, if you can explain how I can post them here. Go Ahead and Push Me!

In fact, I now realize that the 2699 is displaying a total of 5 data fields on the map screen at one time, compared to only 4 fields on my 3590 (along the screen bottom): I have Speed at lower left, Time of Day at lower right, and a trio of traffic data elements from the black "speedo" collection stacked on the right. I also set it up so that the "stacked trio" reports different data elements when I (simulated) route travel to a destination. I also notice that I have the option to display three somethings I never had on the 3590 (in the stacked trio on right): Travel Time To Via Point, Distance To Via Point, and Arrival Time at Via Point. From what I can see when I press on any field, it looks like virtually every category represented on the "speedo" agglomeration is available for my stacked trio. I expect to fiddle with all the many choices when I take my road trip.

Again, I am totally disgusted by Garmin's total failure to document the fact than users can customize their Traffic Data display. Per the comment by "sussamb" (Yes, we have the same manual!), I have gone back to the online manual and do note on Page 6 very bare instructions that the Trip Data screen can be customized, but the single tiny gray image (of the "speedo") does NOT display any examples of the "stacked trio" fields. There IS info there, but it is presented without any samples or encouragement to users to experiment: With more careful reading, I might have experimented on my own...

The only reference in the online manual to the "stacked trio" is that one can change what is displayed (by screen press of 3 black bars at bottom right) between the features of "Up Ahead," Traffic" and ""Trip Data" (as well as select Volume, Brightness, Stop Route, Change Route, and Weather (last one is still unexplored)." Only ONE of the preceding 8 categories can be displayed at a time. I often wonder how Garmin manages to apparently dominate GPS sales with such poor documentation (the so-called "starter instructions" in the box is JUST a pathetic set off diagrams illustrating how to mount the Nuvi); there are absolutely no other usage instructions on that sheet. Instead, underneath the diagrams is a link to the 17 page online manual (which is still rudimentary and has only 3 images of sample screens, unlike the Tomtom manuals, which can run to at least 80 pages). Aaargh! And NO, I have never owned a Tomtom, but have scrolled through some manuals.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    You know my children these days don't even read the manuals ... they just 'play' and discover features. The days of 'hand holding' and explaining every little detail is over. In my mind the manual is detailed enough, clearly you feel there should be more but anyways I'm glad you now have your nuvi working the way you want.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    sussamb said:

You know my children these days don't even read the manuals ... they just 'play' and discover features.

I don't think this is reserved for the younger generation, I've been doing it myself for years. When it comes to the Nuvi series, they're so simplistic that you can run through every menu item in about 15 minutes, which is what I do when I get a new model.

But I have to agree about the "pathetic" state of Garmin's documentation these days. And it stands in such stark contrast to their older products that included top-notch manuals. I still remember the excitement when I got a StreetPilot 2620 back in 2004. I read the thick manual cover to cover - 84 pages in full color on high quality glossy paper. It lives on in Garmin's archives today, take a look and see how far we have come in the past 11 years.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/439_OwnersManual.pdf
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I take your point. When I got my Etrex Legend H I learnt how to use it by using the manual from the earlier Etrex series which was more detailed than the one for mine. Smart phones now come with a manual that only really explains how to turn it on. Soon we'll be lucky if we get a manual at all.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited March 2015
    When I was still working in IT, the lack of documentation on new tech products is something we referred to as "the Apple mentality". :) (Not intended to disparage Apple. Their success speaks for itself.)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm wandering off topic a bit, but Apple produces what I think is a wonderful manual for the iPhone although few know about it. The manual isn't really an iPhone manual as much as it is an iOS manual-- but it is very complete. You can get it in HTML, PDF, and iBooks formats.
  • nuvifan 109 Points
    Following up on the preceding post (and link), I viewed the Apple iOS manual for the iPad: Now that's what I would like to see for all electronic products. It's a good example of a manufacturer wanting its buyers to fully understand the features and efficient use of a product, by using screenshots and examples of the various menus and options. My Panasonic digital camera manual comes close (albeit NOT in color), as does my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, and Samsung tablet. Those manuals run to 80 and 100+ pages. In comparison, the 17 page Garmin manual lists features in a perfunctory manner, and usually avoids mentioning the possible options one can expect when clicking most categories on a Nuvi: It's as if Garmin wants users to figure out most things for themselves (or NOT) by experimenting...or getting lucky with a click "here-and-there"...just as with the "speedo" Trip Data screen.

I think that the capability to display Trip Data along the right side of the map screen, in the "stacked trio" mode will be a MUST HAVE for my use (and especially being able to exchange it at will with Up Ahead and Traffic reports, with a simple keypress). It is really superlative that Nuvi 2699 users can customize a wide range of data for each of the three foregoing categories, in a manner not previously available for other models. NOTE: I do NOW realize that the Trip Data customization is cryptically referenced on Page 6 of my 2609 online manual...but my point is that Garmin does not make it clear that this feature exists, which would have been so easy to do if it offered just one screen display of the "stacked trio." I feel the same way about my two previous Garmin manuals, and think that most NEW USERS of any Nuvi simply never realize how to make efficient use of their GPS's: I believe that of lot of frustrated persons simply return their Nuvis, because they don't know how to use them properly. Heck, I still frequently read persons complaining about no printed manual in their new box, and not realizing that at least a perfunctory manual is available online.

On the one hand, I agree that many (if not MOST) persons these days do NOT read manuals, and many even delight in bragging about never having read whatever is available for their sophisticated piece of electronic wizardry: If it isn't intuitive, they don't want to know about it, even if it means they never realize what they don't know. [Based on reading Amazon product reviews, it is also apparent that many of their complaints reflect ignorance of the products..."and so I returned it."] I am amazed that gpscity has created at least a dozen short videos for the 26xx series, and visually demonstrates the basics of operation of various Nuvi models: Garmin should be thankful that such resources exist, and serve it well. Why wouldn't any manufacturer take the initiative and make even more detailed videos a staple for their products?

On the other hand, I am one of the fuddy-duddies that revel in exploring most everything that the manufacturer has to say, and relate best to reading the manual and doing so with the product right in hand. Why can't Garmin at least make the effort to fully explain its Nuvis for those customers who do want to understand how X and Y are supposed to be used: All it would take is for staff to write explanations, and insert color pictures of menus and screen displays, using inexpensive megapixels and kilobytes (or create online videos). Duh! I know that it would be totally beyond imagination that a corporation would go even a step further, and take pride in fully explaining how great its products work, let alone offering extended hints about "tips and tricks," for those interested in knowing everything that the Product Designers and Engineers do. End of today's rant.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    nuvifan said:

I think that the capability to display Trip Data along the right side of the map screen, in the "stacked trio" mode will be a MUST HAVE for my use (and especially being able to exchange it at will with Up Ahead and Traffic reports, with a simple keypress). It is really superlative that Nuvi 2699 users can customize a wide range of data for each of the three foregoing categories, in a manner not previously available for other models.

Actually this is not new, at least not what you're describing as 'Trip data'. It's available on my 1490 (and thus the 13xx and 14xx series), all newer nuvis as far as I'm aware except the 2012 models when Garmin flirted briefly with dashboards and probably older ones before the 13xx/14xx series. From 2013 onwards nuvis have also had other options for the right side of the screen including the 'Up ahead' and the traffic reports as you mention.

• Boyd 1985 Points
    sussamb said:

except the 2012 models when Garmin flirted briefly with dashboards and probably older ones before the 13xx/14xx series.

Look at pages 41 to 43 in the streetpilot 2620 model manual that I linked to before: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/439_OwnersManual.pdf

The data tabs feature on that device was very versatile. Tapping the tab collapsed /expanded it, like the feature @nuvifan likes so much on the 2699. Funny how it took some 12 years for the Nuvi to catch up. :)

The StreetPilot 26xx series had its roots in Gamin's outdoor/handheld devices but the Nuvi took the opposite direction, stripping out all those functions and offering a simplistic interface.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Boyd said:

The data tabs feature on that device was very versatile. Tapping the tab collapsed /expanded it, like the feature @nuvifan likes so much on the 2699. Funny how it took some 12 years for the Nuvi to catch up. :)

Talk about reinventing the wheel ;)