This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Waypoints removed from eTrex 20

I've replaced my OSM of my region with an updated one. Now my waypoints are lost; my Waypoint Manager is empty.
However - upon making a new waypoint - the default name is 023. This indicates that the device "knows" that there exists/existed 22 previous/old waypoints.

I'm a bit surprised to find the old waypoints were not saved as coordinates - and therefore easily "transferable" to the new map.
Am I missing something - besides the waypoints, I mean? Like understanding?

Comments

• sussamb 792 Points
    edited March 2015
    Were the waypoints on your device or a card? If on a card try removing the card then reboot your Etrex. Now switch it off, reinsert the card and reboot. They should now be visible. Many (if not all) Garmin handhelds can occasionally suffer from a corrupted database, removing the card then running the GPS in a clean state then reinserting the card forces it to re-index the data.

If the files are on the device remove them and copy them somewhere onto your PC, remove your GPS from the PC then reboot your GPS so it's 'clean' then connect it to your PC and copy the GPX files back. Reboot and all should be well again.
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    edited March 2015
    The map was - and is - on a card. I have no idea where the waypoints were.
    And when you say "reboot", you mean a simple restart?
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited March 2015
    They'll be in the files in the GPX folder, either on the card if you put them there, or on the device itself.

You can also use Basecamp to copy them from the Etrex into Basecamp, then delete them off the Etrex. Then remove the Etrex from the PC, reboot, then switch off then reconnect to PC and have them copied back from Basecamp to the Etrex. This also forces the Etrex to re-index them.

And yes, by reboot I mean restart.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    The map is completely unrelated to your waypoints, so installing a new map should not have had any effect on them. The automatic numbering you describe is the same thing I have observed on a variety of different garmin devices. I think it would behave like that regardless of whether the waypoints were actually deleted.

If you're certain that the waypoints are really gone (look in the GPX folder as sussamb said), and you're also certain that you didn't intentionally delete them, then it must be a bug in the etrex software. Never saw anything like this happen myself. I make my own maps and frequently delete/install them on my devices. This has never affected waypoints, routes or tracks on the device.
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    Your first suggestion failed.

I'm not following your inquiry as to "where" I put waypoints. I don't put them anywhere; I create them and the device stores them - somewhere, wherever it stores them.

What file am I looking for in the gpx folder?
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Waypoints are saved in groups depending on the day they were created. The file names should be self-explanatory, something like Waypoints_03-15-15.gpx if they were saved today.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Also, you should really start backing up your important user data. That could be done in Basecamp, or you could simply copy the entire contents of the device to a folder on your computer (I prefer this method).
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited March 2015
    Well waypoints can be sent to a GPS or the device can create them, I didn't know which.

I think the best thing for you if you have Basecamp installed is to use that to look to see what waypoints are on your Etrex, then let us know. We're scrabbling around in the dark at the mo.

As Boyd says installing a map will have no effect, and I've had an Etrex 20 for years and waypoints have never been 'deleted' in some way other than through the indexing problem I've described. You do need to follow the instructions thoroughly though but since you're asking where the waypoints are stored you can't yet have done so. I wouldn't worry about what file, just remove (copy to your PC) all files from the GPX folder, or use Basecamp to do so.
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    edited March 2015
    1. SDcard>Garmin>GPX>waypoints.gpx
    and
    2. Device>Garmen>GPX>the Waypoint files, as well as other files.

Anything to be done regarding 1.?
    Regarding 2.: am I to remove only the Waypoint files, - or others in that GPX folder? And then continue with instructions?
  • sussamb 792 Points
    So you have placed waypoints onto the card? That's the only way they can get there.

As I have no idea which files contain the waypoints that you can't find I would either use Basecamp as I've described, or if you can't then remove all the gpx files from both GPX folders. Then switch on the 'clean' GPS. Once it's started switch it off, reconnect to your PC and copy all the gpx files back. Disconnect from PC and switch on. It should then be back to normal.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    This really shouldn't be so hard. If the waypoints were created directly on the GPS, they will be in internal memory inside the GPX folder. What do you see in that folder? Are there files with names like I posted above?

If there are no files like that in the GPX folder in internal memory, then they're gone. If you didn't intentionally delete them, then that is a mystery. But it shouldn't have anything to do with installing maps.
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    edited March 2015
    "So you have placed waypoints onto the card?"
    No; I have a single file "waypoints.gpx" on the card, as stated. I've never placed a waypoint anywhere; I don't use Basecamp. I walk around, and simply mark a location as a waypoint. That's the only way I have ever created one.

"As I have no idea which files contain the waypoints that you can't find..."
    We may be crossing posts here, but, as I stated, "Device>Garmin>GPX>the Waypoint files, as well as other files."
    That's where these files - in the format given by Boyd - are located.

I have now removed all files from the GPX folder on the device, and followed instructions. The waypoints still do not show in the Waypoint Manager.

Should I also remove the file "waypoints" from the card and reboot?
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited March 2015
    That's what I said. Note that waypoints.gpx can ONLY be on the card if you or someone else put them there.

Note also a single gpx file can contain many waypoints and other data.
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    I've got them back.
    Thanks to both of you for your help.
  • sussamb 792 Points
    Great!
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Cool. B-)
  • Ramaprem 111 Points
    HOT!! :-*