This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Map on SD Card

Just purchased a map of N. America on an sd card for my Nuvi 2445. How can I check to make sure it will work before I travel to America?

Many thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Make sure that the GPS is completely powered off and not just in sleep mode. It might be necessary to press and hold the power button for this (varies by model). Insert the card and start the Nuvi back up. Now go to the settings and make sure the map is enabled. This also varies by model, but will probably be something like Settings > Map > MyMaps > City Navigator North America > Enable.

Now turn on the GPS simulator. Again, this varies by model, but probably Settings > Navigation > GPS Simulator > On

Go to the map screen and zoom way out until you can see North America. Now zoom in on a location of interest in the US. If the map is working, you will see detailed streets. If it is not working, you will see a very crude basemap that contains only a few roads.

If you tap a location on the map and then press the info button, you will see a button to set location. Tap that, and the Nuvi will now behave as though you really are located in America. This will allow you to perform searches, test routes, and create favorites for the places you plan to visit.
  • jim98 10 Points
    Boyd said:

Make sure that the GPS is completely powered off and not just in sleep mode. It might be necessary to press and hold the power button for this (varies by model). Insert the card and start the Nuvi back up. Now go to the settings and make sure the map is enabled. This also varies by model, but will probably be something like Settings > Map > MyMaps > City Navigator North America > Enable.

Now turn on the GPS simulator. Again, this varies by model, but probably Settings > Navigation > GPS Simulator > On

Go to the map screen and zoom way out until you can see North America. Now zoom in on a location of interest in the US. If the map is working, you will see detailed streets. If it is not working, you will see a very crude basemap that contains only a few roads.

If you tap a location on the map and then press the info button, you will see a button to set location. Tap that, and the Nuvi will now behave as though you really are located in America. This will allow you to perform searches, test routes, and create favorites for the places you plan to visit.

Boyd,

Not only was that clear it was very easy to follow; worked a treat. I'm now very pleased with my purchase.

Many thanks,

Jim
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Great, glad it worked. :)