This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPSmap 62s Routes

This unit can store at least 200 routes. However, despite detail searching, there does not seem to be a possibility for sorting the routes alphabetically. Thus, on Basecamp, I have 90 routes labelled as follows:
A1 Thursday
A2 Thursday
A3 Thursday
A4 Thursday
A5 Thursday
B1 Thursday
B2 Thursday
etc
etc.

However, having downloaded the Routes to the GPSmap 62s, when you elect "Find", "Routes" on the GPSmap 62s, the list appears in a random non-alphabetical fashion. Anyone got a fix? Thanks

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Not a fix but in common with most Garmin handhelds routes are sorted nearest to farthest, as is most of the data. Logical really as it assumes if you want to go to a route it's at least in your vicinity.
  • Condar 0 Points
    Thanks sussamb. I can understand sorting with respect to Waypoints on a route in that it would "go to" the nearest waypoint geographically on the list; but routes with many way points in each... does not make sense. The reason why you have many Routes downloaded is so as to be able to select a particular Route for use at that time. Therefore, it would be useful if you could select the desired Route from an alphabetical list rather than from a random list.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Well as I indicated it's not 'random'. It's on distance from your location, or more exactly the distance from your location to the start point of the route. Unless you have loads of routes all starting in the same area it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which one to select.
  • Condar 0 Points
    It's not difficult; but it's extremely annoying. You are advised by, for example, a race starter that the Route to be used is, say, L4. It's much easier to find that route (from about 90 others) if they are in alphabetical order. I can't understand why Garmin cannot provide the choice of ordering the Routes in the way they believe is appropriate and alphabetically!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited April 2015
    You are not the first person to complain about this, but "it is what it is". You could contact Garmin support and request a change, but that's a waste of time. They aren't going to add new features to an old device like the GPSMap 62s. :(
  • Condar 0 Points
    Thanks Boyd. As far as I recall, the GPSmap 60 DID have a facility to sort (a much smaller number of) routes!. Two other really annoying "features":

1 a Route has (say) 6 waypoints. When you invoke that Route, the system assumes that you want to go to the nearest Waypoint rather than the first Waypoint on the list. Now, of course, you can scroll to the first Waypoint and select it. However, its name is now not displayed in the "Compass" or "Trip Computer" displays and the unit does not now automatically scroll down to the next Waypoint. In other words, the selected Route is essentially disabled and the unit operates as if you selected a single waypoint and

2 if you select a (named) waypoint, its name is also not displayed in the "Compass" or "Trip Computer" displays.

The above disadvantages were not present in the GPSmap 60.

It's extraordinary that a major advantage of the unit as advertised by Garmin was that it could have 200 routes and they were too stupid to omit the possibility of putting them into order alphabetically (or having discovered that it would be a good idea to do so having received feedback, and then not providing a software upgrade). So much for customer awareness and satisfaction!!

Thus, do you know if Garmin (or probably preferably) another company which does provide a handheld unit which can do the above absent features?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    To be honest I don't believe there are enough users like yourself who want the current GPS to work differently. I have an Etrex 20 and a Montana and am perfectly happy with the way they work.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited May 2015
    I rarely create custom routes so this is a non-issue for me. But frankly I don't think Garmin has any viable competitors in the handheld gps business. I haven't been impressed by what I've seen from Magellan (I have an older Magellan Triton that I never really liked).

I have been a big fan of Garmin devices for many years and have spent thousands on them, going back more than 10 years. I hate to say it, but all the action has shifted to apps on smartphones and tablets today. Rugged smartphone cases are pretty cheap, and you can even get them with batteries to increase your runtime at a reasonable price. There's a huge selections of apps on both iOS and Android (more on Android though), many of them are highly customizable and have advanced functions not available on any Garmin devices. Some of the best ones are either free or less than $10.

"Never say never", but I think it's highly unlikely that I will ever buy another Garmin device. I am not saying that because I'm unhappy with their products, they've been great and very reliable - never had to call Garmin support once. But the hardware just can't keep up with mass marketed devices from huge companies like Apple and Samsung. And Garmin's software can't keep up with the number of apps on the market.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I'd certainly think twice about another Garmin handheld. While my Montana and Etrex 20 continue to work I'll use them. I also have a mapping app on my smartphone and even though it's not as good in some areas it's equally better in others. Overall I'd be reluctant to pay the price of a Garmin just to get the slight edge they provide.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited May 2015
    Yes, that's the problem. I really wanted to like the Monterra but $650 for an Android device with 6gb memory and low resolution 272x480 screen just doesn't cut it for me. An unlocked 16gb iPhone 6 is $650 directly from Apple. Android devices are even less.