This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is the Garmin Montana 650 the only handheld with "spoken, turn by turn driving directions"?

From amazon listing
"Use the auto mount with City Navigator maps for spoken, turn-by-turn driving directions, or the rugged mount for your motorcycle or ATV."

I was under the impression that there was none with "spoken" turn by turn, so I am planning on buying 2 devices, the extrex 20 for hiking and the Garmin nüvi 52LM for driving. That seems like the best cost benefit combination.

The Montana 650 is 10oz and costs more than the etrex 20 (5oz) and nuvi 52LM combined. However, if there is handheld model that offers spoken turn by turn, and is not enormous ...that will be something to consider instead of 2 distinct devices. I cannot find much information on other handhelds in this regard. Most are frustratingly vague about the level of turn by turn support.

Comments

• alanb 533 Points
    edited May 2015
    Yes, I believe the Montana 6xx is the only Garmin handheld that supports spoken navigation prompts. Your plan to use a lower priced handheld in combination with a nuvi to get multiple functions is a sound plan. Just realize that the nuvi 52 does not support multipoint routes or saved/imported routes. If multipoint routing is a feature you need, you will need to get a newer or more advanced nuvi model.
  • mikeinbrazil 6 Points
    edited May 2015
    alanb said:

Yes, I believe the Montana 6xx is the only Garmin handheld that supports spoken navigation prompts. Your plan to use a lower priced handheld in combination with a nuvi to get multiple functions is a sound plan. Just realize that the nuvi 52 does not support multipoint routes or saved/imported routes. If multipoint routing is a feature you need, you will need to get a newer or more advanced nuvi model.

thanks, i just noted in another faq that the 52 does not support "real voice or real directions" either, which might be worth gettng in a different model. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={3ef853b0-9aeb-11e2-65d0-000000000000}
    So many Nuvi models ...good lord ... is there a matrix comparison to help determine the differences, seems like almost too many choices? ... Ok, i found this, seems helpful if up to date http://gpstracklog.com/compare/garmin-nuvi-comparison-chart
  • alanb 533 Points
    edited May 2015
    Yes, you can compare different models on Garmins own site www.garmin.com. Just put a check box next to the models you want to compare (up to 4) and click the "Compare" button next to one of them.

Incidentally, I use a Oregon 550 and nuvi 3597LMTHD, which were both "high end" models in their day. I really wanted a Montana, but by the time you add the cost of the unit, car mount and CN map, it is just too expensive. I purched my Oregon and 3597 as factory refurb's, so have less invested than I would have with the Montana.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited May 2015
    I realize it's hard for you to physically compare devices, but when you see a Montana side by side with an eTrex, you will probably be shocked by the size difference. I have a Montana 600 and yhe first time I saw an eTrex, I was shocked by just how small it was. These devices are about as different as two GPS units can be.

The Montana 650 is not the only model that supports voice prompts for navigation. The Montana 600 is a better value IMO, unless you really want a mediocre camera integrated into the GPS. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/montana-600/prod75226.html

The Monterra also does this. Since it's an Android device, I assume you could also install alternate software, like Navigon or TomTom. Personally, I will pass though, due to the high price.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/monterra-/prod113522.html

You would need the vehicle mount for either of these models, it includes an amplifier and small speaker for the voice prompts. And of course you also need to purchase City Navigator. I did this with my Montana and used it in the car and as a handheld. It works well, but I wanted a bigger screen in the car.

With City Navigator, the Montana shows lane assist and speed limits, but not junction view. It is not compatible with traffic receivers either.
  • sussamb 792 Points
    I have both a Montana and an Etrex. While there is a difference in the screen size, as Boyd indicates, this also results in a larger and heavier device. For hiking I prefer my Etrex. I use the Montana only when out with my Search and Rescue team.

I use neither in the car, for that I use a nuvi 2508.

I agree with the OP and Alanb that the best way is a separate device for each.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Actually, I'd say the best way is getting a free Montana from Garmin. :D
  • alanb 533 Points
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I bet our friend sussamb earned about $.002 per hour for his time as moderator to get that "free" Montana from Garmin! :D
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited May 2015
    Jeez .... It isn't even $.0002 :))
  • mikeinbrazil 6 Points
    edited May 2015
    thanks folks. I'll be getting 3 separate devices for the hiking, car, and satelite messaging/sos .... in 5 years probably all that will be in one device, but for now its still a sellers market.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    That would be a big raise for me here… and I had to buy my own Montana. >:)