This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to manage/organize Garmin Custom maps in Basecamp's On My Computer pane?

Most of Basecamp is pretty intuitive, but I am baffled by what i see re Garmin Custom Maps that are created when i import kmz files. Upon import a Garmin Custom Map node is created in My Collection. I can view the custom map fine. It all seems good in that respect.

My problem is I do not seem to be able to consistently organize these custom map nodes within the folder structure of On My Computer>My Collection. The behavior is very flaky. Sometimes it lets me move the Custom Map node into a folder. Sometimes it lets me move the Custom Map node into a List ... sometimes it does not let me move it into either. And I am talking about the same node here, not different map nodes. Even when it lets me add a node to a folder successfully, it seems that it does not persist across basecamp restarts.

Ultimately, the only reliable thing is that the Custom Map nodes persist across restarts in the My Collection details panel, which is a massive list of basically everything in My Contents ... but that is a poor substitute for organization. So what am i missing here. Is there a trick or are Custom Maps nodes just plain not persistable in the On My Computer folder / list structure?

Alternatively, is there another "view" that will show only the Custom Maps?

Comments

• mikeinbrazil 6 Points
    edited May 2015
    ok, i see I can create a Smart List and have that smart list filter by type = Garmin Custom Map.
    That at least allows them to appear collectively in a single node On My Computer ... but it still does not let me organize them more granularly ... but maybe that is all that is possible.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    FWIW, if you plan to use custom maps on the eTrex you must be aware of the limitations that I posted in an earlier thread, they are very strict. Some maps will work in basecamp but not on the device.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Adding to that I've not experienced any issues moving custom maps between folders or lists in Basecamp. Which version are you using?
  • mikeinbrazil 6 Points
    edited May 2015
    sussamb said:

Adding to that I've not experienced any issues moving custom maps between folders or lists in Basecamp. Which version are you using?

I am using 4.4.7 new install on mac. Its very odd behavior. As I indicated, upon initially importing the kmz, they appear as nodes within the On My Computer panel, which can be moved around into folders and list. But it seems that the next time i import a new kmz ... and then shut down and restart Basecamp .., the prior kmz(s) is no longer visible in the folder or list where i had placed it. Instead it (and all the other prior imported kmz s) are only visible in the Smart List I created specifically for custom maps based on a filter, and in the massive detail listing of My Collection in its entirety.And at that point if i try to drag some from either of those locations into any of the sub-folders or lists of On My Computer>My Collection, they are rejected (i.e. drop not accepted). It seems like a bug to me. The 2 key steps that you may not be reproducing are the importing of additional maps and the restarting of basecamp. If you just import one kmz or one set of kmz files you will not see this problem. It seems to be only triggered by a subsequent import of a different kmz.

I am finding these KMZ files on sites that detail hikes in the four corners area of CO/UT/AZ/NM. I am more interested in the gpx and kml files there that provide hike waypoints. Those are great. However, some of the pages also provide these custom topo maps of some of the parks. So i started to download some of them. They seem more detailed than what I see from statewide topos that I got at gpsfiledepot . But to tell you the truth, I may not bother more with these custom maps. The statewide topos from gpsfiledepot may be sufficient for hiking ..what do you think?
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Unless the .kmz files specifically say they are "Garmin Custom Maps", then it's unlikely they will work on the GPS. I posted a number of compatible .kmz files at GPSFileDepot when the format was first introduced, they are the ones with a check mark in the "raster" column here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/

If you like the scanned USGS 24k paper topo maps, a much better solution is to purchase Birdseye Topo. For $30 you get unlimited downloads of these maps for the US and Canada. And BIrdseye does not have any of the coverage limitations of custom maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod98816.html

However you would have to wait until you have the actual GPS to purchase and download these.
  • Boyd said:

Unless the .kmz files specifically say they are "Garmin Custom Maps", then it's unlikely they will work on the GPS. I posted a number of compatible .kmz files at GPSFileDepot when the format was first introduced, they are the ones with a check mark in the "raster" column here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/

If you like the scanned USGS 24k paper topo maps, a much better solution is to purchase Birdseye Topo. For $30 you get unlimited downloads of these maps for the US and Canada. And BIrdseye does not have any of the coverage limitations of custom maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod98816.html

However you would have to wait until you have the actual GPS to purchase and download these.

ok, thanks. For the purposes of this trip, i am not sure i even need any highly detailed topos in the USA. Most of the hiking will be on marked trails. There are only 2 or 3 places where i plan to do overnight hikes on locations without trails.and for those i have previous hikers gpx tracks ... I was grabbing the kmz files that i came across b/c they were co-hosted with the gpx tracks that i was primarily interested in.