This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2015 vs older models (2013, 2014) - Garmin nuvi

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Garmin nuvi and am wondering whether there's a significant difference between the basic navigation software on the 2015 models vs. ones from 2013 or 2014. If not, then I can get a 2013 GPS for cheaper with more features than the 2015 one. For example, I'm looking at the nuvi 2497LMT (2013), 56LMT (2014), and 58LMT (2015)

Another thing I'm wondering though is whether there's a problem with a 2013 GPS sitting on a shelf until now. Will the battery need to be replaced pretty soon, or does it not matter if it hasn't been used for those 2 years until now?

Thanks

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't worry much about the battery in a 2013 nuvi. Newer nuvis aren't known for operating very long on battery power anyway, so the battery is used mostly for configuring and applying updates. The new 2015 nuvicam model is only rated for 30 minutes, and on many of the larger screen nuvi's you would be lucky to get 2 hours out of a full charge. I wouldn't even worry about battery life on a 2013 refurb.

My advice is to compare features of the 2013 models to the 2014/2015 models. Buy the one that has the features you want and gives the best price/value.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited May 2015
    Garmin refurbs have the same 12 month warranty as new devices so I think you're covered. Personally, I think the 2012 models are the sweet spot in terms of price/features. I am a bit biased though, because 2012 is the only model year that supported custom user-created dashboards. :) http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/26442/making-customized-dashboards/p1

GPSCity (probably other vendors too) has some nice deals on refurb units. The Nuvi 3580 refurb especially stands out at $134. Nice bright 5" glass capacitive screen (like a smartphone) that supports gestures for zooming, rotating and tilting the map. Also shows 3d terrain and buildings.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    The disadvantages of the 2012 and earlier models are that they use a different version of trip planner that doesn't work as well as the one in the 2013 models onwards. Personally I wouldn't buy a nuvi with the earlier version as there were aspects of it that wouldn't work for me.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I would agree, if custom route planning is important to you. I suspect that the vast majority of Nuvi users just enter something into "where to" and then press "go" however. :)
  • hubble606 0 Points
    Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

I ordered the nuvi 2457LMT. I hope it's good...