This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Varia - Cyclist Radar (car detection) for bicycles

Now this is cool... expensive but cool.

We are excited to announce the Varia line of smart cycling devices including, a first-of-its-kind rearview bike radar and smart bike lights. Helping create a safer cycling environment, Varia rearview bike radar warns cyclists of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters (153 yards) and also warns approaching vehicles of a cyclist ahead, and Varia smart bike lights automatically adjust to changing conditions as well as the speed of the cyclist. Both the radar and lights work independently, or seamlessly integrate with each other and with compatible Edge cycling computers, allowing cyclists to customize to their needs.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    So the guy in that video is driving down a quiet, deserted country road and needs "radar" because he can't hear the huge truck coming up behind him? :D
  • Tim 1480 Points
    As an avid cyclist, it does happen. Particularly if you have a headwind that mutes the noise. And a very quiet electric smartcar is almost as dangerous as a big truck.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just commenting on the video, which shows a beautiful, calm day with a noisy truck on a deserted country road. I don't doubt that such a device could be useful… so why not show it in a situation like the ones you describe? :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I guess I didn't see the video that way. The waving hay fields gave me the feeling of a more noisy ride environment than what you described.
  • privet01 221 Points
    edited July 2015
    Even on a calm day, when I'm going 20plus mph, the wind flow around my ears and helmet create a lot of noise. So you can easily not hear even a loud car behind you.

Roll your windows down and stick your head out and try it! <<grin>>