This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Newbie: how to get Montana 650t to see Topo 24K I d/l to SD Card

Hello,

Not new to GPS (looks over at GPS 12), but lots has changed in 20 years.

Just got a Montana 650t, and inserted a (blank) 64 GB SD card.
I purchased Topo24K from Garmin, and downloaded it to the (installed) SD card.

I can see the 24K map in that card in BaseCamp (and I can click it to view the 24K data in Base Camp).

So far so good.

What I don't know how to do: enable the Montana 650t to "see" that map. I tried MapInstall, but it says no unlocked maps for this device. I tried drag/drop from MemoryCard (no go). I do not see Topo 24K listed in the map selections on the Montana 650t.

What am I missing?

Thank you for considering.

Comments

• sussamb 792 Points
    edited August 2015
    Cards in the Montana must be formatted FAT32 for them to work, which is why Garmin only recommend cards up to 32Gb. 64Gb cards can be formatted FAT32 but you'll need to jump through hoops to do it.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B691d1d30-890e-11e3-d5f4-000000000000%7D
  • alanb 533 Points
    Did you look under Setup > Map > Select Map?
  • nwgpser 0 Points
    >> Cards in the Montana must be formatted FAT32 for them to work, which is why Garmin only recommend cards up to 32Gb

Thank you. I don't recall formatting the 64 GB card. I just put it into the GPS, and then downloaded Top24K to it. (Maybe my PC formatted it as part of that process, I don't recall). Appears fine in BaseCamp (but that is the PC accessing it, not the Garmin).

From here, is it as simple as: purchase a 32 GB card, format as FAT 32, and then move the TOPP 24K (and all files) to the 32GB card?

Thanks again!

• nwgpser 0 Points
    >> Did you look under Setup > Map > Select Map?

Thank you. Yes. No Topo 24K is not one of the choices. I see only the default (Topo 100K, etc.) plus BirdsEye images I downloaded).

Thanks.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Not sure if a 64gb will work correctly, as sussamb has said. And there is no reason to use such a large card because there are very stringent limits on the size of Garmin maps. The Montana can only recogize about 4000 map segments total and your pre-installed topo uses about 500 of these. So that only leaves 3500 segments for any other maps you install on the device. You would probably reach that limit before you filled a 16gb card with maps.

Mapinstall will not work with this kind of file AFAIK. These downloadable maps should be installed directly on the GPS as part of the purchase process. If Basecamp can see the map, then that would indicate that the files are on the card. There should be a folder named Garmin on the card and three files inside that folder. The name could vary, but the generic file names would be gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp.unl and gmapsupp.gma. MapInstall might have given the files more descriptive names, but the extensions should be the same.

Copy the entire Garmin folder to a smaller memory card formatted as FAT32 and see if it works.
  • nwgpser 0 Points
    >> there is no reason to use such a large [64GB] card

Now I know. (It was just a few $ more than a smaller one ... ).

>> Copy the entire Garmin folder to a smaller memory card formatted as FAT32 and see if it works.

Will do as soon as the new (smaller, 32 GB) card arrives.

Thanks to all for the quick help!
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited August 2015
    You could also copy it to internal memory on the Montana, if it isn't too big. Internal memory should already have a Garmin folder, so just add the three map files to it.

Before you do anything with the new GPS however, I urge you to make a full backup. Just create a folder on your computer and drag or copy/paste all the files from the Montana to it. The preinstalled topo is almost 3gb, so it might take awhile to copy everything.

This could save you a lot of grief in the future if there is a problem. :)
  • sussamb 792 Points
    nwgpser said:

>> Did you look under Setup > Map > Select Map?

Thank you. Yes. No Topo 24K is not one of the choices. I see only the default (Topo 100K, etc.) plus BirdsEye images I downloaded).

Thanks.

Yes, you won't see it until it's on a correctly formatted card. Good luck when it arrives.
  • nwgpser 0 Points
    SOLVED - thanks to the group (you know who you are).

- backed up all Garmin files from device and (now I know it is too large) 64 GB uSD card to computer (copy paste from Windows, not from within BaseCamp)
    - copied the three files that make up Topo 24K from the 64GB card to the Montana 650t GPSr internal memory

Works fine now -- I can see the Topo 24k on screen as well as in 'select Maps'

I also ordered a 32 GB card (to replace the 64 GB card).

Once again, thank you all for the quick / accurate replies (timely, as I go back into the field tomorrow!).
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited August 2015
    Cool - glad that it worked. B-)
  • sussamb 792 Points
    Glad it's resolved.