This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2555LMT and JCV file?

I know the JCV display is split screen.....not full screen. But I'm wondering is the number of intersections the file contains equates to the large or small file for full screen models? I'm fed up with not being able to get the large file for my 1450 and am considering a refurb 2555LMT for about $90 delivered. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    The split screen JCV file on any Nuvi that supports split screen views has exactly the same number of view pictures as the Large Full Screen JCV file that comes with the map update on a few older Nuvi models or was at one time downloadable from Garmin with each map update.

The split screen file is approximately half the size of the full screen view file. Basically because the views are half the size, the file is approximately half as big.

• jimirb 81 Points
    Thanks for the fast and to-the-point response. Found a NEW 2555LMT at Walmart for $118 delivered.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited August 2015
    That's not bad, but I believe the 2xx5 series still has the much-hated old-style trip planner, doesn't it? If you create a trip with multiple vias on these devices, it does not show your entire route, only the next via. My Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760 are like this, and I don't like it. Very different from your 1450 in that regard. But if you don't use custom trips (routes), then it shouldn't be an issue.

I believe the 2xx7 series has the new style trip planner that is more like the old route planner on your 1450.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    Boyd, Thanks for your post. Not sure about the trip planner; however, in the 20 years or so that I've been traveling with GPS, I very rarely have ever needed to route with multiple vias. I'll have to see when it comes.

Lately, I've actually been using android phone GPS for short trips and only used the 1450 for long hauls in the motorhome.
  • jimirb 81 Points
    BTW, anybody know the max size microSD card the 2555 will recognize? Any what class it should be?
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited August 2015
    You can safely use a 32GB card although a 64GB would probably work. The thing is that you really don't need the huge card. I have a 16GB card in one of my Nuvi's and it holds everything I need to put on it, including map files.

As far as class is concerned it really doesn't make a big difference. Class rating have more to due with write speeds while the Nuvi will basically only be using reads from the SD card and not writing to it.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    The main point to note is the card must be formatted FAT32. 64Gb cards don't come formatted that way and you need to jump through a few hoops to correctly format them. As posted though, 32Gb should be ample and indeed for normal use 8Gb is large enough.
  • Well, the deal on the 2555LMT fell thru. Amazon had a special on a new 55LM for $99 delivered so it's on the way. I believe it is a newer release than the 2555???
  • alanb 539 Points
    Correct ... The 2555 came out in Oct. 2011, the 55 in Jan 2014.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited September 2015
    If you have gone from a 2555LMT to a 55LM you have given up the lifetime traffic feature if that is important to you.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited September 2015
    You are right Rick, and I don't think the 55 is traffic capable, even if you were willing to separately purchase a traffic receiver. I also note that the 2555 is dual orientation, while the 55 is landscape orientation only. For me, neither of those features would be very important and I would prefer the 2014 model 55 over the 2012 model 2555. But if either of those features are a "must have", then the 55 is the wrong choice.
  • Yes, I know.....but....there's very little traffic in SD ;)
    Actually, I've had traffic on my 1450 LMT for years and rarely have been anywhere that there was traffic coverage. Our travels are mostly in SD, ND, WY, and MT.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited September 2015
    alanb said:

You are right Rick, and I don't think the 55 is traffic capable, even if you were willing to separately purchase a traffic receiver. I also note that the 2555 is dual orientation, while the 55 is landscape orientation only. For me, neither of those features would be very important and I would prefer the 2014 model 55 over the 2012 model 2555. But if either of those features are a "must have", then the 55 is the wrong choice.

Alan I think the 55 is at least traffic compatible as there is a 55LMT, see:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/2014-line/nuvi-55lmt/prod147605.html

Also Garmin makes the orientation issue for the 55 somewhat confusing (what else is new :( ) as this comparison with the 2555 shows:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=147605&compareProduct=101881

If you just look up any model of the 55 it doesn't mention dual-orientation but if you compare it with the 2555 it points out that it is.
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited September 2015
    Interesting. When I compared the 55LM to the 2555LM, it has a check for "Traffic compatible" for the 2555LM, but not the 55LM. And when checking for available accessories on the 55LM, it did not list a traffic receiver. Go figure! I guess it is another example of where you can't trust the Garmin comparison charts. X(

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=139771&compareProduct=97160
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Garmin has made this very confusing. Perhaps the 55LMT has an internal traffic receiver and the 55LM does not? :-?
  • alanb 539 Points
    Now that's a thought Boyd. I tend to forget that some nuvi's have the traffic receiver built in.