This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Replace 2450 and my favorites show up on screen.

I ask this question about every year. I need a GPS that shows my favorites.on the screen as i drive up to them. I follow a pipeline and save the locations i need to check out. It seems Garmin is more interested in me seeing the location they care about.

Thanks,
Bronco

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited September 2015
    Garmin seem to constantly change the way favorites are displayed, and I'm not sure there is a nuvi in the current range that will do what you want. I'm assuming here that you haven't selected them as part of the route and you just want to be able to view them on the map? One way would be to create a route containing them all, as they would then show up, but that might not be what you want?
  • No route. Driving down the road and the weeds get so high you sometimes can not see the marker post. Garmin told me maybe the 52LM might work? but i think more experts here to really help a person out.

• t923347 432 Points
    edited September 2015
    The 3797 shows them but they are the new, very ugly, square box icons with no name shown, just the icon. Other newer Nuvi models may show them this way as well but I think they will always now be only the icons. Also they will only appear with a destination entered into the Nuvi (following a route) and you must turn on Settings - Map & Vehicle - Map Layers - Places along the road, before they will appear at all.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You might be able to get around these limitations by converting your favorites to POIs. There would be some limitations there too though.

Another approach might be to create a transparent map overlay from your favorites and tracks. This free program would be one way to do that: http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

But if waypoints or tracks are important to you, then one of Garmin's handheld/outdoor devices would give much more flexibility. They have a waypoint and track manager that allows you to customize their appearance on the device.

The Montana has a 4" screen and you can add the automotive mount and City Navigator map to get functionality similar to a Nuvi, plus many advanced features. It is a rather expensive approach though, will cost somewhere around $500 when you include everything.

Aside from that, there are many apps on iOS and Android that have pretty extensive waypoint management capability. If you already have a smartphone or tablet then you might want to check some of these out.
  • Bronco Billy, if what you want is for places that you have identified as "Favorites/Saved Places" to be shown to you as you drive along a pipeline, then you might want to look at "TourGuide". You already have the points you are interested in as Favorites/Saved Places; so attach the nuvi to the computer - make a copy of current.gpx (which contains all of the Favorites/Saved Places); delete all entries not along the pipeline; then, save the resulting file as Pipeline TourGuide.gpx. Now you could do this with Wordpad, but I would suggest using Extra POI Editor (EPE) which can be found at http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor#Extra_POI_Editor-Download In EPE you can put in the "proximity" at which you want to be alerted - say 1/4 mile, or whatever. You can have an Icon appear or a sound file play or both. Otherwise you would need to run POI Loader in "Manual" mode when loading the file

TourGuide is discussed in POI Loader's Help file and on a number of GPS sites. You do not have to be following a "route" for the notifications to occur (and remember, even following a "route", alerts do not occur unless the coordinates of the location are within 30 meters of the center of the route - this might be a problem in pipeline work). TourGuide alerts whenever you enter into a circle whose area contains both the POI and the nuvi. Indeed, you might not be able to drive directly to the POI because it might be on the other side of something uncrossable.

I use a "CrackerBarrelTourguide.gpx" file so that I am notified whenever I am a mile away (in any direction) from a place that I often want to eat at while traveling. Whenever my daughter, who has small children, goes on vacation, I always create a "PharmacyTourGuide.gpx" file which sounds off whenever her vehicle is within 2 miles of a TwentyFour hour pharmacy in the vacation area. I just want her to be aware of where they are as she drives around so - if the need arose - she would already be aware of where they are.

If this sounds like something that might be helpful, we can discuss it further.
  • Thanks Boyd, The Montana might be a little more than the company will let me spend. I have a laptop with delorme Xmap but i just hate to have it going all the time.

BB
    Boyd said:

You might be able to get around these limitations by converting your favorites to POIs. There would be some limitations there too though.

Another approach might be to create a transparent map overlay from your favorites and tracks. This free program would be one way to do that: http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

But if waypoints or tracks are important to you, then one of Garmin's handheld/outdoor devices would give much more flexibility. They have a waypoint and track manager that allows you to customize their appearance on the device.

The Montana has a 4" screen and you can add the automotive mount and City Navigator map to get functionality similar to a Nuvi, plus many advanced features. It is a rather expensive approach though, will cost somewhere around $500 when you include everything.

Aside from that, there are many apps on iOS and Android that have pretty extensive waypoint management capability. If you already have a smartphone or tablet then you might want to check some of these out.

• Grandpa, I am also getting older but you have my attention. Forgive me if my questions are or sound dumb. So this program will let me save my favorites work a little magic and then down load them back to a GPS? If that's kinda of right. Can i put them on about any Garmin GPS? It talks about a 4.3 inch screen but would like to have a larger screen with my eyes getting old with my age.. I am also adding new favorites a lot of the time.

Thanks again,
    BB

Grandpa said:

Bronco Billy, if what you want is for places that you have identified as "Favorites/Saved Places" to be shown to you as you drive along a pipeline, then you might want to look at "TourGuide". You already have the points you are interested in as Favorites/Saved Places; so attach the nuvi to the computer - make a copy of current.gpx (which contains all of the Favorites/Saved Places); delete all entries not along the pipeline; then, save the resulting file as Pipeline TourGuide.gpx. Now you could do this with Wordpad, but I would suggest using Extra POI Editor (EPE) which can be found at http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor#Extra_POI_Editor-Download In EPE you can put in the "proximity" at which you want to be alerted - say 1/4 mile, or whatever. You can have an Icon appear or a sound file play or both. Otherwise you would need to run POI Loader in "Manual" mode when loading the file

TourGuide is discussed in POI Loader's Help file and on a number of GPS sites. You do not have to be following a "route" for the notifications to occur (and remember, even following a "route", alerts do not occur unless the coordinates of the location are within 30 meters of the center of the route - this might be a problem in pipeline work). TourGuide alerts whenever you enter into a circle whose area contains both the POI and the nuvi. Indeed, you might not be able to drive directly to the POI because it might be on the other side of something uncrossable.

I use a "CrackerBarrelTourguide.gpx" file so that I am notified whenever I am a mile away (in any direction) from a place that I often want to eat at while traveling. Whenever my daughter, who has small children, goes on vacation, I always create a "PharmacyTourGuide.gpx" file which sounds off whenever her vehicle is within 2 miles of a TwentyFour hour pharmacy in the vacation area. I just want her to be aware of where they are as she drives around so - if the need arose - she would already be aware of where they are.

If this sounds like something that might be helpful, we can discuss it further.

• @BB, Take a look at a couple of sites that deal with TourGuide.

See http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/pagepoi.04.htm

See also http://www.poi-factory.com/faq/index#TourGuide

As far as I know, all automotive Garmins will permit TourGuide POIs to be loaded. With the proper Icon and/or Sound Files, you can have the device announce a nearby POI.